Looking to buy an Epi Les Paul Custom

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
06/16/2006 1:45 pm
Hey all:

Looking to pick up a new Epi Les Paul Custom....just curious everyones opinion on this axe? I know its not a Gibson but then again, neither are my ibanez guitars or my fenders ;)

Seriously, I do want advice of folks that have played on or own one as to their opinions. I have not been able to find a used one to jam on to see how it holds up over time.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/16/2006 4:10 pm
Own a Epi LP Custom Special II. Purchased it used and I have not had any complaints whatsoever.

Also remember that Epi is owned by Gibson. Kind of like the Lexus/ Acura thing.

Cheaper machine heads, and PUPs but those can be switched.

I also like the weight. Not as heavy as the stantard Gibsons. But heavier than a strat, or Ibanez.

I prefer the smaller scale beacuse I am short and do not have long fingers so the neck is easier to play (IMO).

I would have preffered it to have the traditional 2 tones and 2 volumes but mine only has the 1 tone and 1 volume, and I am still able to get the crunch for rhythm and the leads sound like your typical Gib.

Personal note-- I have to always tweak the tone knob to get the lead sound I like. But switching to the rhythm setting always sounds good no matter where the tone knob is set.

Only problem I had was with the selector switch needing to be rewired. I also had them reverse it when they fixed it.

Other than that. Great guitar for a fair price. Good body and construction that will last you for alot of years. Note that you may want to replace the strap posts. Some have a tendancey to get stripped easily and become loose.

I use 11's and have no problems so far with Intonation etc. Hasn't had a set up or adjustment yet. The only time I have a tuning problem is after playing songs with alot of bends, and it is typically the high G B strings, ocasionally the E. May have to dive into the realm of creating my own custom string sets by buying singles.

Action is good both High and Low. Hate the way the bridge always "falls" off when I am replacing strings. Other than that... Love it and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
06/16/2006 4:56 pm
Actually... Lexus and Acura are both owned and operated by the Honda Corporation.... but I know what you mean... haha.

A lot of people will sit and tell you not to waste your money on an Epiphone LP... I myself... wouldn't waste my money on a Gibson LP. I would however purchase an Epi LP. They're cheaper... and damn close to the same thing. Minor differences that can be fixed... like pickups. Gibsons are overpriced... period. I'm a strat guy. But I'm telling not to let anyone discourage from buying an Epi just because they say they're "crap". They're good guitars. Just don't buy one online or off Ebay. Go to a store so you know exactly what you're buying. This will give you the oppertunity to give it a once over... look closely for any blemishes.. cracking in the finish, so on so forth... Play it through an amp similar to one that you own... so you know what it sounds like... But don't let anyone discourage you. They're nice guitars at a quarter of the price of a Gibson.
# 3
jreach
jreach
06/16/2006 6:33 pm
Yeah I was wondering about buying one online. We have one EPI dealer in town and its Guitar Center.

I really hate buying anything there because unless your buying the BEST top of the line gear they make ya feal like a idiot.

Not tooting my own horn but if I wanted to blow 5k or more on an axe I could certainly do it. Problem that I have with spending big money on an axe is 1. I am not good enough yet to justify the expense and 2. I dont play professionally its just for me in my house. I am in my mid 30's and don't expect that Van Halen or The Who will be needing my services anytime soon.

I thought I would test out what I want and just buy online...but your advice makes sense and its what I have been considering...what ifs????

Also, I read a great interview from Les Paul himself and posted it to my Blog. He thinks very highly of Les Paul. So based on your input and that of Les himself I am confident I will move forward. Now to decide how to buy it and where.

Any and all advice is appreciated....has anyone bought an axe online at Music123, Sweetwater or some other site?
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/16/2006 6:53 pm
Tip for handling retail --Assholes-- .

IF you feel you are being mistreated or they are treating you like an idiot do this--

Go there find the Guitar you like Epi, Squire, whatever do not worry about cost if it is 200 so be it. Find your strap get some picks maybe a small practice amp if you don't have one, box o strings, tuner whatever.

Make sure that you have the saleman bring everything to the counter and as you bring out your cash (this would be preferrable to get your point across no checks or Credit Cards) decide you do not wish to purchase the items ask for a manager and tell him you were ready to purchase something from their fine establishment but becuase of the "crappy" attitude of the sales person you have decided not to purchase anything from them.

Harsh? Sales guy had a bad day?

1) I worked in retail as a deprtment manager (hated every minute of it/Home Improvement at that)) The manager will try to talk you into buying the items and may offer you a discount and regardless of the employees mood they are employed to get sell what is on the shelves not play guitars all day.

2) They are sales people and their job is to sell. I am in sales and purchasing for an international import/export company(10 years) and regardless of your day/mood (at times I wanted to give a few choice words to the idiot salespeople and clients) business is business and personal is personal they do not mix and by letting them mix you are driving away your clients.

The manager will either decide to reprimand the a-hole or convince you to continue with your purchase (he will help you himself and probrably call you names and things after you have left the store). But your point has and will come across.

Will this change anything? No. But you may get a cheaper deal by being a typical -- "A-hole customer is always right"-- stereo type.

Trust me it works. I had 3,000 knocked of a Ford F-150 by the owner of a car lot because the sales person did not do as I had wanted on the financing (as we discussed and agreed on) and 2 wastesd trips to pick up the vehicle pissed me off enough to tell the car lot to "shove-it".

Saved 3,000, lowered my financing. Should I have not been an a-hole myself??? Don't know and don't care. My money I work hard for it and will part ways with it however I see fit.

2 cents, off the soap box.

# 5
jreach
jreach
06/16/2006 7:13 pm
I hear ya....I was in contract sales for years....had to finally get out.

The problem I had was the attitude. I bought my last Ibanez from them. I spent about an hour looking at guitars, had to find a sales person to help me when I was ready to plug in (I make it a habit to ask before I tough any axe that I don't own, even in a store). I didn't mind that they were not hanging over me but when I asked to see the GAX70 his response was "Why, its not that good of a guitar?" I explained that I was just getting back into playing but that in the future I could see myself upgrading. He resisted until my wife came by and forced his card with ugly looks.

After I got done playing it I said I was happy and wanted to take it home...the whole time his approach to up sell me was that the guitar I chose was crap!

Now I have been both in sales as well as a sales trainer and manager. First rule of thumb is to never question the customers choice but to inquire why they chose....anyhow just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have since given them other tries...bought a PODxt from them and got the same attitude. It's like they see this 30+ guy coming in the door with clean cut hair, no tats and no piercings and I am not good enough for them. No offense to those that have tats and such as I have no problem with them...but I dont fit into the typical "Rock Guitar" looks club hehe Should have seen me in the 80's! Mullets Rat Tails and Spiked Hair man my folks hated my barber :)

Just seems the good ole days of the small mom and pop shops with great service, knowledge and people who liked the business are gone.
—SRV
# 6
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/16/2006 7:36 pm
True that.

Like I posted earlier I prefer used guitars (except when one day I will own a PRS that BABY will Brand Spanky New dirrect from the manufacturer and I will pay yhe inflated price and it seems that that guitar will be 18 years away until my youngest goes to college or I it the lotto :D ).

I tend to go to pawn shops --can get a hell of a deal -- but I usually know before hand what I want to purchase. Lost an awsome deal on a GNX RP2 for 50.00 2 months ago had the cash but was undecided but after playing a new one decided it was worth it, went back....SOLD (I'm still kicking myself in the backside for that one).

Here in Houston the mom and pops , though providing better service, usually have higher markups becuase they are not purchasing the quantity that GC is. Volumes = Numbers.

Pawn shops-- though limited in thier knowledge of what they have still give you better service and are willing to negotiate pricing, and may have replaced the mom and pops guitar/music stores.

# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/16/2006 7:37 pm
epiphone is good I also own a LP Special II and For my first ax I wouldn't have it any other way but there are alternatives like Agile guitars. www.rondomusic.com they are priced as good as Epis but come constructed like a Gibson (mahogany body. mahogany set neck) With some upgrades to the hardware ie pickups, tuners, switches and pots these would probably hang with a Gibson. Epiphone is good though. Just thought you might want to weigh all options.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
jreach
jreach
06/16/2006 8:04 pm
Thanks all...in fact gonna hit a pawn shop on the way to my inlaws house on my way to pick up my munchkin.

Thanks again for the advice. Nice to have a sounding board....something I didn't have for the $35.00 a month I was paying on another guitar lesson site.
—SRV
# 9
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/17/2006 12:59 am
i have the studio and i love it...

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.