View post (Looking to buy an Epi Les Paul Custom)

View thread

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
06/16/2006 7:13 pm
I hear ya....I was in contract sales for years....had to finally get out.

The problem I had was the attitude. I bought my last Ibanez from them. I spent about an hour looking at guitars, had to find a sales person to help me when I was ready to plug in (I make it a habit to ask before I tough any axe that I don't own, even in a store). I didn't mind that they were not hanging over me but when I asked to see the GAX70 his response was "Why, its not that good of a guitar?" I explained that I was just getting back into playing but that in the future I could see myself upgrading. He resisted until my wife came by and forced his card with ugly looks.

After I got done playing it I said I was happy and wanted to take it home...the whole time his approach to up sell me was that the guitar I chose was crap!

Now I have been both in sales as well as a sales trainer and manager. First rule of thumb is to never question the customers choice but to inquire why they chose....anyhow just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have since given them other tries...bought a PODxt from them and got the same attitude. It's like they see this 30+ guy coming in the door with clean cut hair, no tats and no piercings and I am not good enough for them. No offense to those that have tats and such as I have no problem with them...but I dont fit into the typical "Rock Guitar" looks club hehe Should have seen me in the 80's! Mullets Rat Tails and Spiked Hair man my folks hated my barber :)

Just seems the good ole days of the small mom and pop shops with great service, knowledge and people who liked the business are gone.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV