View post (Looking to buy an Epi Les Paul Custom)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/16/2006 4:10 pm
Own a Epi LP Custom Special II. Purchased it used and I have not had any complaints whatsoever.

Also remember that Epi is owned by Gibson. Kind of like the Lexus/ Acura thing.

Cheaper machine heads, and PUPs but those can be switched.

I also like the weight. Not as heavy as the stantard Gibsons. But heavier than a strat, or Ibanez.

I prefer the smaller scale beacuse I am short and do not have long fingers so the neck is easier to play (IMO).

I would have preffered it to have the traditional 2 tones and 2 volumes but mine only has the 1 tone and 1 volume, and I am still able to get the crunch for rhythm and the leads sound like your typical Gib.

Personal note-- I have to always tweak the tone knob to get the lead sound I like. But switching to the rhythm setting always sounds good no matter where the tone knob is set.

Only problem I had was with the selector switch needing to be rewired. I also had them reverse it when they fixed it.

Other than that. Great guitar for a fair price. Good body and construction that will last you for alot of years. Note that you may want to replace the strap posts. Some have a tendancey to get stripped easily and become loose.

I use 11's and have no problems so far with Intonation etc. Hasn't had a set up or adjustment yet. The only time I have a tuning problem is after playing songs with alot of bends, and it is typically the high G B strings, ocasionally the E. May have to dive into the realm of creating my own custom string sets by buying singles.

Action is good both High and Low. Hate the way the bridge always "falls" off when I am replacing strings. Other than that... Love it and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]