Diatonic scale question?

axemaster911
axemaster911
05/23/2006 6:49 am
Is the diatonic scale with five whole tones, and two half tones that has the pattern ( Aeolian ) ws-hs-ws-ws-hs-ws-ws, or ( locrian ) hs-ws-ws-hs-ws-ws-ws, or all its other variations which follow the same pattern only starting on a diffrent degree, is this the normal standard for playing in key? Not regarding the root note, the pattern is more my question?
And do scales such as ( phrygian-dominant ) with its raised third, or any of the many other scales with changes to the basic diatonic pattern considered to be scales with with accidentals in whatever key their played in.
I am trying to get a better understanding of being able to play along with other musicans, and all staying in the same key while exotic scales are being used, and the normal standard for keys in general.
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/23/2006 4:49 pm
As I understand it "diatonic scale" is a definition for a certain type of scale. In this case a scale with seven notes, five intervals of which are whole steps, two of which are half steps. I don't really think the order of them matters. Kind of like how a symetrical scale is a scale with an even amount of tones, regardless of what types of intervals are involved.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/24/2006 12:21 am
Yea, but As for my question, by your example of symetrical scale ( I think your talking about whole tone, or half scale ) would the notes that dident fall into the diatonic pattern be considered accidentals? And if so, is the diatonic scale patterns ( with 7 notes ) the normal standard for playing in key without accidentals?
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/24/2006 4:14 pm
Originally Posted by: axemaster911Yea, but As for my question, by your example of symetrical scale ( I think your talking about whole tone, or half scale ) would the notes that dident fall into the diatonic pattern be considered accidentals? And if so, is the diatonic scale patterns ( with 7 notes ) the normal standard for playing in key without accidentals?

A diatonic scale is a 7 note scale. 5 of notes are whole steps, the remaining 2 are half steps, regardless of the order they come in. That is the basic definition of a diatonic scale. And that's why I referenced symetrical scales. To show how one word defines multiple different scales. I wasn't referring to any scale in particular with it, just using it as an example. It wasn't intended to be a direct comparison.

Accidentals are quite different and don't really involve this. If a note is sharp, then it's got an accidental on it. A# for example. The sharp is the accidental. Same with flats.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/24/2006 7:14 pm
And I asume your saying that diatonic scales with flats, or sharps have accidentals in them, and those such as in C major dont?
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/24/2006 7:29 pm
Originally Posted by: axemaster911And I asume your saying that diatonic scales with flats, or sharps have accidentals in them, and those such as in C major dont?

Correct. Now, there is a symbol that references when a note is meant to be natural and it's used just the same as any accidental would be, but I'm not really sure if that, by definition, counts as an accidental. I'm gonna go poke around on the internet real quick and find out for sure on that one.

Hulk Smash!!

# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/24/2006 7:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsCorrect. Now, there is a symbol that references when a note is meant to be natural and it's used just the same as any accidental would be, but I'm not really sure if that, by definition, counts as an accidental. I'm gonna go poke around on the internet real quick and find out for sure on that one.

Ok, now that I've looked around, in short there are three basic types of accidentals. Flat, sharp, and natural. Depending on the situation will determine which one you use. For example, if you're playing in G Major, you've got the notes G, A, B, C, D, E, and F#. Well, if you wanted to play a regular old F, it would be written as F and the natural accidental would be next to it. Of course there are more elaborate forms of accidentals, but they're all based off of these three.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/24/2006 9:36 pm
Dose this confirm my theroy that no matter what diatonic mode a person plays from any of the 12 diffrent key singnatures, as long as the diatonic pattern is followed in the key its played in their will be no accidental in the peice.
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/24/2006 9:46 pm
No, because your accidentals are determined by what key you're playing in. They're completely separate from this. A diatonic scale isn't a scale itself, more so a type of scale. In this case, so long as it has 5 whole steps and 2 half steps within one octave, it's a diatonic.

Hulk Smash!!

# 9
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/24/2006 10:18 pm
I am cuoiorus, this is just the insight i am looking for.
Give me a diatonic scale ( Major, or minor ) in whatever key you like, and show me where the accidentals are. And explain why they are considered accidentals. This will be a great help. Thanks.
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/24/2006 10:32 pm
We'll use G Major since it has an accidental. I've got the notes with the steps under then.

G A B C D E F# G
W W H W W W H

As you can see, there's a total of 5 whole steps and two half steps giving us a 7 note scale. That's basically a diatonic scale right there. Now, the F# that resides in the last position. It's not F, it's F#. # is an accidental. That's just the word used to define sharps and flats. Just like you would call a large, wooden plant with leaves a tree.

Hulk Smash!!

# 11
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 12:23 am
The Ionian G major scale, G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G you referred to is in perfict diatonic scale. w-w-h-w-w-w-h
If the Ionian G major would have been writen =G-A-B-C-D-E-F
w-w-h-w-w-h-w
Then I belive that would show the Ionian G major diatonic scale to be writen with an accidental, or mutated into the Mixolydian.

What I am really saying is dont belive that the diatonic scale in any form has an accidental unless a composer writes it with a note outside the set diatonic pattern regardless of sharps, flats, or naturals.
If I am wrong I am looking forward to examples to prove otherwise.
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/25/2006 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: axemaster911The Ionian G major scale, G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G you referred to is in perfict diatonic scale. w-w-h-w-w-w-h
w-w-h-w-w-h-w
Then I belive that would show the Ionian G major diatonic scale to be writen with an accidental, or mutated into the Mixolydian.

What I am really saying is dont belive that the diatonic scale in any form has an accidental unless a composer writes it with a note outside the set diatonic pattern regardless of sharps, flats, or naturals.

G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G is G mixolydian, which is a diatonic mode.

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G is G ionian, which is another diatonic mode.

Being diatonic has nothing to do with accidentals. Diatonic just means "in key."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/25/2006 12:47 am
Originally Posted by: axemaster911The Ionian G major scale, G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G you referred to is in perfict diatonic scale. w-w-h-w-w-w-h
w-w-h-w-w-h-w

A diatonic scale isn't a specific scale. A scale is a selection of notes within an octave. You take C Major.
You've got C D E F G A B C with W W H W W W H as your interval structure.

If you take that exact same interval structure and move it to G you have
G A B C D E F# G.

Now, if you take the notes in G Major and start on B you have
B C D E F# G A B with an interval structure of H W W W H W W.

Now, if you pull a bunch of intervals out of your ass and you get
B C Db Eb F G A B you have H H W W W W W.

Those are all examples of a diatonic scale. Notice the similarity between them? They all have 2 half steps regardless of the location and 5 whole steps also regardless of the location. That's what a diatonic scale is. Any scale that meets that criteria. It doesn't matter how many accidentals or what kind of accidental. Accidentals are completely unrelated to what makes a scale diatonic.

Hulk Smash!!

# 14
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 1:11 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonG-A-B-C-D-E-F-G is G mixolydian, which is a diatonic mode.

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G is G ionian, which is another diatonic mode.

Being diatonic has nothing to do with accidentals. Diatonic just means "in key."

I have done alot of investigation into accidentals, and the most basic definition I have come across is " a wrong note ". Now thats certainly not the way I look at them because no matter what scale I am playing their is always cool sounds to be explored by sampling notes outside the scale.
But threw my studys I have always found the diatonic scale patterns to be the blueprint , or basis for most scale variations. And I just cant see an accidental, or wrong note in a basic diatonic scale.
So if you could show me a diatonic scale with an accidental in it, and explain why the note that your pointing out as an accidental, that would leave much thankful.
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/25/2006 1:22 am
Originally Posted by: axemaster911I have done alot of investigation into accidentals, and the most basic definition I have come across is " a wrong note ". Now thats certainly not the way I look at them because no matter what scale I am playing their is always cool sounds to be explored by sampling notes outside the scale.[/QUOTE]

What ever you've been reading, it's just flat out wrong. That is simply not true, and that's what I've been trying to stress all this time.

Accidental = # (sharp) or b(flat)
That's absolutely it. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone that tells you otherwise is not telling you the truth. My source will be this. http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id20_en.html
Read what this lesson tells you. That is what an accidental is. Accidentals have no effect what-so-ever on what determines a diatonic scale. They're a completely different thing. Of all of the books I've read on music theory, I've never read anything that has disagreed with this.
[QUOTE=axemaster911]
But threw my studys I have always found the diatonic scale patterns to be the blueprint , or basis for most scale variations. And I just cant see an accidental, or wrong note in a basic diatonic scale.
So if you could show me a diatonic scale with an accidental in it, and explain why the note that your pointing out as an accidental, that would leave much thankful.

Again, there is no diatonic scale pattern. Diatonic isn't a scale. It's just a word with a definition.http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=diatonic There are no compositions in D Diatonic because there is no diatonic scale pattern.

The scale you're thinking of is C Major. The Major scale is the scale that is used for the blueprint of everything and C Major has no accidentals and because C Major has 2 half steps and 5 whole steps in its interval structure, it is also a type of diatonic scale, but it is not the diatonic scale because there is no interval structure called diatonic. That is it.

Hulk Smash!!

# 16
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 1:40 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsA diatonic scale isn't a specific scale. A scale is a selection of notes within an octave. You take C Major.
You've got C D E F G A B C with W W H W W W H as your interval structure.

If you take that exact same interval structure and move it to G you have
G A B C D E F# G.

Now, if you take the notes in G Major and start on B you have
B C D E F# G A B with an interval structure of H W W W H W W.

Now, if you pull a bunch of intervals out of your ass and you get
B C Db Eb F G A B you have H H W W W W W.

Those are all examples of a diatonic scale. Notice the similarity between them? They all have 2 half steps regardless of the location and 5 whole steps also regardless of the location. That's what a diatonic scale is. Any scale that meets that criteria. It doesn't matter how many accidentals or what kind of accidental. Accidentals are completely unrelated to what makes a scale diatonic.

If I pulled a bunch of intrevals out of my ass and got B C Db F G A B, I just dont think it would sound to good. Thats the reason I am exploring this subject is to get ideas on creating good sounds that I havent made before, as well as useing exotic scales, that I am trying to find out if they are all variations of the basic diatonic scale.
I see what your trying to say. I am just trying to figure out if the diatonic scale is the furthist boundary of scale forms before accidentals start coming into play in scale constructions.
# 17
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/25/2006 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: axemaster911If I pulled a bunch of intrevals out of my ass and got B C Db F G A B, I just dont think it would sound to good. Thats the reason I am exploring this subject is to get ideas on creating good sounds that I havent made before, as well as useing exotic scales, that I am trying to find out if they are all variations of the basic diatonic scale. [/QUOTE]
I think you've missed the point.
[QUOTE=axemaster911]
I see what your trying to say. I am just trying to figure out if the diatonic scale is the furthist boundary of scale forms before accidentals start coming into play in scale constructions.
To say "the diatonic scale" is not what you're thinking. There is no set of intervals in a given order that is labeled "diatonic." You're getting it confused with C Major. C Major is a form of diatonic just like G Aeolian and just like Fb Lydian. Diatonic is just a broad description of all the Major and Minor scales as well as all of the modes that you can form out of them. Some of them have accidentals, but some don't. It just depends on the root note you use.

Hulk Smash!!

# 18
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 2:33 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI think you've missed the point.
To say "the diatonic scale" is not what you're thinking. There is no set of intervals in a given order that is labeled "diatonic." You're getting it confused with C Major. C Major is a form of diatonic just like G Aeolian and just like Fb Lydian. Diatonic is just a broad description of all the Major and Minor scales as well as all of the modes that you can form out of them. Some of them have accidentals, but some don't. It just depends on the root note you use.

I know this. Its the pattern of intervals that I am referring to. And diatonic is the expression I am useing because all the diatonic scale variations follow this same pattern, just with diffrent starting points. What is the word you would use then( if accidental is not it) when scales vary from this pattern?
# 19
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI think you've missed the point.

That all there is to it.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.