View post (Diatonic scale question?)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
05/25/2006 1:40 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsA diatonic scale isn't a specific scale. A scale is a selection of notes within an octave. You take C Major.
You've got C D E F G A B C with W W H W W W H as your interval structure.

If you take that exact same interval structure and move it to G you have
G A B C D E F# G.

Now, if you take the notes in G Major and start on B you have
B C D E F# G A B with an interval structure of H W W W H W W.

Now, if you pull a bunch of intervals out of your ass and you get
B C Db Eb F G A B you have H H W W W W W.

Those are all examples of a diatonic scale. Notice the similarity between them? They all have 2 half steps regardless of the location and 5 whole steps also regardless of the location. That's what a diatonic scale is. Any scale that meets that criteria. It doesn't matter how many accidentals or what kind of accidental. Accidentals are completely unrelated to what makes a scale diatonic.

If I pulled a bunch of intrevals out of my ass and got B C Db F G A B, I just dont think it would sound to good. Thats the reason I am exploring this subject is to get ideas on creating good sounds that I havent made before, as well as useing exotic scales, that I am trying to find out if they are all variations of the basic diatonic scale.
I see what your trying to say. I am just trying to figure out if the diatonic scale is the furthist boundary of scale forms before accidentals start coming into play in scale constructions.