View post (Diatonic scale question?)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/25/2006 12:47 am
Originally Posted by: axemaster911The Ionian G major scale, G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G you referred to is in perfict diatonic scale. w-w-h-w-w-w-h
If the Ionian G major would have been writen =G-A-B-C-D-E-F
w-w-h-w-w-h-w
Then I belive that would show the Ionian G major diatonic scale to be writen with an accidental, or mutated into the Mixolydian.

What I am really saying is dont belive that the diatonic scale in any form has an accidental unless a composer writes it with a note outside the set diatonic pattern regardless of sharps, flats, or naturals.
If I am wrong I am looking forward to examples to prove otherwise.

A diatonic scale isn't a specific scale. A scale is a selection of notes within an octave. You take C Major.
You've got C D E F G A B C with W W H W W W H as your interval structure.

If you take that exact same interval structure and move it to G you have
G A B C D E F# G.

Now, if you take the notes in G Major and start on B you have
B C D E F# G A B with an interval structure of H W W W H W W.

Now, if you pull a bunch of intervals out of your ass and you get
B C Db Eb F G A B you have H H W W W W W.

Those are all examples of a diatonic scale. Notice the similarity between them? They all have 2 half steps regardless of the location and 5 whole steps also regardless of the location. That's what a diatonic scale is. Any scale that meets that criteria. It doesn't matter how many accidentals or what kind of accidental. Accidentals are completely unrelated to what makes a scale diatonic.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.