Anyone have an XBox 360?

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
05/22/2006 9:24 pm
I got one a couple of weeks ago. It's awesome, but I have this one game, The Elder Scroll IV, Oblivion, which is the coolest game ever, but it locks up from time to time. This is the only game I have that does this so far. Anyone else with a 360 have this problem with any games?
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/22/2006 9:46 pm
I haven't decided if I wnat to get the XB360. We have the XB and the PS2.

I like the sports games and adveture games on PS2. But 1st person or all others that require speed and high graphics i prefer the xbox.

I know thaey were upgrading the graphics and they have the 360 more Internet compatible but I am not sure if it is worth. Aside from that game have you experienced any other githces with the 360 itself?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/22/2006 10:26 pm
they screwed PS3 majorly though eh, man that was so dissapointing.
# 3
HDJ
HDJ
05/22/2006 11:05 pm
No other problems with it except for that one game.....might be a glitch in that particular game or the copy I got may have a defect or something. It only locks up occasionally on the loading screen....

The graphics are amazing, especially on my HDTV.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/23/2006 12:30 am
S Moose,

I haven't had the opportunity to play the PS3 yet. Should I stay away?

JFrick,

Loading problem only tah game to?

I heard that Madden 06 had major glitches. And aside from graphics the 360 does not "flow" as well as the "plain jane"

# 5
pure
pure
05/23/2006 12:57 am
i know a couple people who have oblivion on their computers. they have the highest end computers and they still need the lowest settings to run it smoothly. but they like worship that game day and night.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/23/2006 1:07 am
I'm a Playstation and Nintendo fan personally. It just seems like the only games that really interest me on the Xbox can be found on other systems or the computer. The games that are exclusive to Xbox just don't really get me excited. Furthermore when was the PS3 released in Europe? All the dates I've seen are for November. So if that's the case then how can you be disappointed with it just yet?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
05/23/2006 1:57 am
the PS3 hasn't been released yet, I'm pretty sure the release date is november or somewhere around there. Although the PS3 will be 500 for the lower end model, i think no hard drive, and no HD support, and 600 for the upper end one, the Nintendo Wii will be $250 and you can control the controller with movements, its pretty cool, if I got one I think I'd get the wii. Who gave it that name. wii. Anyways, the 360 is pretty cool from what I've played, and I think a lot of people have had overheating problems or something like that
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/23/2006 3:03 am
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141the PS3 hasn't been released yet, I'm pretty sure the release date is november or somewhere around there. Although the PS3 will be 500 for the lower end model, i think no hard drive, and no HD support, and 600 for the upper end one, the Nintendo Wii will be $250 and you can control the controller with movements, its pretty cool, if I got one I think I'd get the wii. Who gave it that name. wii. Anyways, the 360 is pretty cool from what I've played, and I think a lot of people have had overheating problems or something like that

I forget the story behind the Wii. I overheard some excessively geeky nerds in some game store talking about it, but I forget what they said. I dunno, even my geekiness has its limits on what it can retain.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/23/2006 8:11 am
The PS3 was a dissapointment because after all that research and money and delay, they announced

1) that it would cost a crapload of money (and trust me a lot more then the x360 when it's released and

2) that the games were pretty standard (ie the graphics looked the same as xbox360) and

3) that the controller was almost EXACTLY the same except without the vibrate feature just so some flight sim nuts can use the controller to land their planes.

I'm not a fan of x360 or PS3 , I think the new generation of consoles is really a let down and they should have thought outside the square more and perhaps followed a nintendo esq appraoch (i've never been a nintendo fan but they are doing something right here) to the new generation and actually changed something rather then just beefing up the graphics and CPU power.

it's now up to the game developers to suprise us with the next generation, if they can do something on x360 or ps3 that truly is revolutionary then the next generation imo will begin, otherwise it's just console makers racing against pc hardware makers to squeeze out graphics performance.

Looks like Wii is the bet for a crazy fun next gen experience.
# 10
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/23/2006 2:07 pm
yer i reckon consoles were awesome when i was 13/14 and i needed to get away from reality and didn have drugs or alcohol. now i have guitar drugs and alcohol, i'd much rather by a nice half ounce and some fx pedals (so need to get that ibanez whammy pedal that looks kick ass!) then a next generation console.

oh btw has any1 played that guitar hero game? is it like a lame version of dance dance revolution but like with the buttons on the fretboard or somn? how can u do bends with a virtual guitar controller?
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
05/23/2006 2:45 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseThe PS3 was a dissapointment because after all that research and money and delay, they announced

1) that it would cost a crapload of money (and trust me a lot more then the x360 when it's released and

2) that the games were pretty standard (ie the graphics looked the same as xbox360) and

3) that the controller was almost EXACTLY the same except without the vibrate feature just so some flight sim nuts can use the controller to land their planes.

1. It's going to cost more becuase the technology is going to be better... Sony had a year plus to develope their system... This gives them the advantage because they were able to look at feedback from the 360 and learn from what mistakes they made...

2. The graphics are going to be better than that of the 360 throughout the actual gameplay. Did you watch any of the E3 specials on G4TV. It was insane... Even all the press have pretty much said the PS3 has a slight edge. Mainly because they spent more time developing the main hardware. The games run smoother than the 360 games.

3. If you were a true Sony fan... you'd appreciate the fact that they're not going to change the controller. I'd rather have the same controller that I've had for the last two generations with minor upgrades than have to adapt to an entirely new controller...

I'm waiting for the PS3 becaue IMO it's going to be a better console than the 360... the 360 is sweet though... The Wii looks kind of childish... I'm not a fan of any nintendo system past Super Nintendo. Even then I preferred Sega... The contoller concept is cool... but I think Sony did it right in making the motion sensor a secondary function of the controller rather thant he main focus... It's a cool concept but I think it will flop in the end... Just like Virtual Boy did....
# 12
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/23/2006 3:10 pm
i have a feeling sony are going to sneak a controller revision or a different version of the controller in before the release, they can't get away without vibration by rehashing a Nintendo concept that doesn't really hold much ground with their games anyways.

In my opinion there is nothing next gen about x360 or indeed ps3. they're still using polygons, they're just using more - so what. true next generation is the move from 2d to 3d. Lets face it consoles have stopped trying to set game trends and started to heavily compete with pc hardware, and that in itself is a mistake, though quite inevitable.

What makes a console is a game, without halo the xbox console would have become extinct a year after it's release.

Still dissapointed with the PS3 - sony have a way of overstating console specs constantly, they did it with ps1, and the ps2 emotion engine.

xbox have a way of hyping everything to complete obsurdity (i remember them saying they were going to sell 1 billion x360 consoles in E3 2005 - yer right, that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard, i was actually laughing through that press conference).

Nintendo on the other hand have a habit of understating and underhyping everything - which is a mistake of sorts because there's not much nintendo awareness, but then again they're a niche market.

i've just totally gone off games now, no time to play them, rather go out with friends and get drunk, or go to party, or hang out with my girlfriend then race through 35 action packed dynamically responsive cities with immersive graphics and realistic sounds - not saying that in a elitist way btw, i'm just saying that games imo can get pretty old pretty quick.
# 13
aschleman
aschleman
05/23/2006 3:55 pm
I go through my fazes.. right now.. I'm off games. On June 2nd... when NCAA 07 comes out... I will be back in season... I usually play PS2 about an hour or so a day when I am "in season" I don't waste much time otherwise... i squeeze it in when I can... Mostly when there's nothing on tv... Even then I have to choose between guitar, beer, and PS2... normally a combination of guitar and beer win out. It doesn't overlap my "going out with the friends" time at all.. Since we don't go out until about 10pm and we don't get in until about 4am............ Alls I can say... PS3 is going to have Guitar Hero II and possibly III.... 360 won't ever have a game as cool as that. haha
# 14
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
05/23/2006 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI forget the story behind the Wii. I overheard some excessively geeky nerds in some game store talking about it, but I forget what they said. I dunno, even my geekiness has its limits on what it can retain.

haha ya, I dont play video games much, but sometimes my geekiness takes over and I start ranting and going too far
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/23/2006 8:07 pm
I think I should take a moment to name myself the expert gamer here at GT. :cool:

To answer the first post about oblivion freezing,they are working on a patch.I play oblivion on my PC(which is a completely different game when pushed to its limits)and have the beta patch.It should be out soon if not already(you need xbox live for access to patches and official add-on's).

That said,if you have a capable computer rig,I would encourage you to check out oblivion for the PC.The mod community has done amazing things to improve the visual quality and gameplay to make oblivion a true marvel.

As for the console/PC wars...I need to see where the cards fall.From a blind perspective(is that possible?)I will toss my pick at sony.Sony has plenty of time to position themselves,work out hardware/networking problems if they arise and a great amount of third party support(as always).

The 360 had a rough launch(smooth compared to some past consoles like saturn),but its future line-up down the road looks promising.The hardware still hasn't been fully tapped yet either.The problem microsoft is going to have is keeping the system looking viable next to the cell proccessor,RSX gpu and the high profile titles that sony will no doubt have.If sony creates a solid online network that is comfortable for players and rivals xbox live then the 360 will most likely play second fiddle to the ps3.

Nintendo has really taken a step backwards(for the better)and focused on the intuitive side of gameplay.Remember the power glove,lightguns e.c.t?Well they are basing the Wii around the user interface rather than whats under the hood of the console.Miyamoto(nintendo legend)has acknowleged that they arn't competing with sony or microsoft.Nintendo seems to be looking to hold on to its fanbase with its current franchises and attract others with good interactive gameplay.

And last but never least,the PC.People prophesize the downfall of PC gaming with every new batch of consoles...but it never holds.The PC is extremley scalable and the Graphics technology is always in motion.You can now build or have a pc built the surpasses the PS3's specs many times...for the price of a used honda civic.But the insane prices for bleeding tech are short lived and everything settles at the feet of the consumer.It costs millions to get a game on a console.Small,but talented teams and studios can bring their visions to life on PC at a fraction of the cost.

Mark this date in your mind or write it on the wall just so you remember...I am going to set a date here at which point consoles will again be no match for a mid-range consumer PC technology wise.

January 1'st 2008

If I am wrong may the world collapse.

Thats my thought on it all at this point.
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/23/2006 8:34 pm
I just traded in my Xbox and stuff that was with it & games for $150 and bought me a 360. So far I like it and it has some neat features. I had a ps2 but that took a dump (for the 2nd time, I went through 2 while having my xbox, but the box had no problems) I find that the Ps2 controllers were top heavy (the wire pulled the controller down and was annoying at times) and just too small to play with compared to the Xbox. I find that the Xbox's controller (not the bigger, origional controller, the smaller one that came out shortly after launch) to be perfect size and have well placed analoge sticks. I was a little uneasy that Microsoft was changing the controller untill I picked up the new one and found it to be just as great. That said, for whoever was mentioning past Nintendo consoles...what about the N64, I loved that thing, the games were great, loading times were faster than the ps1 and game saves were also a lot easier. The controller for that was also pretty nicely done. Anyone remember 077 for 64, thats probably in the top 5 best multiplayer fps ever.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 17
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/23/2006 9:09 pm
ok bump on my previous question - seeing as this is a guitar forum ...

any1 played guitar hero???
# 18
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/23/2006 9:25 pm
Originally Posted by: elklandercc...what about the N64, I loved that thing, the games were great, loading times were faster than the ps1 and game saves were also a lot easier. The controller for that was also pretty nicely done. Anyone remember 077 for 64, thats probably in the top 5 best multiplayer fps ever.

I thought Perfect Dark for the N64 was Awsome! The co-op play. Was that a"pre-cursor" to Halo?? :p

# 19
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/23/2006 9:37 pm
Actually, I never played Perfect Dark for 64, I was thinking of getting it for 360 but the store guy said the bots suck, but the multiplayer is awsome. So I picked up Tomb Raider as my first game, pretty good so far.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.