I broke my guitar!

catmeier
catmeier
12/10/2018 4:12 pm

Just here to vent with people who understand. I was bringing my electric in to the school where I work to have it looked at by the music tearcher and dropped it in the parking lot and the head split off. I'm so upset.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/10/2018 5:28 pm

get a good guitar case. Many diffrend kinds are available from soft to hard cases that are designed to protect the guitar from weather, travel, and dropping. As your head stock proves, guitars are delecate and need protection.

I have had problems with straps coming loose from the guitar. So I got a woven cotton belt and just screwed it to the body of the guitar. Now it never comes loose. To make this change I unscrewed the strap knobs from the guitar. Then I used a Bic pen to open the weave on each end of the strap. I work the hole in the belt until it was just big enough to slip the narrow end of the strap knob through it. Then it was a simple thing to screw the knob right back into the same holes on the body of the guitar.

The woven strap is very light so it easily fits into my case. The woven strap seems to hold the instrument in place better than others I have tried. I think that is because of the texture of the weave produces just the right amount of friction. I rarely if ever get sweaty under the strap since it is absorbant and it breaths much better than leather, or vinyl. Just like happened when you carried the guitar on a strap, mine would fall off while I was playing. Than never happens any more. I have never regretted having done this to my rig.

Take your guitar to a tech, I think broken headstocks can be fixed.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/10/2018 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: catmeierJust here to vent with people who understand. .... I'm so upset.

Hi catmier 😎

Copy . You will feel better in a week. In the meantime, look to all the positives.

A. You're now armed with the awareness that Murphy's Law is real. 🤕

B. It's a lesson you won't ever forget. Most life lessons that stick involve emotional or physical pain as the catalyst.

C. Although your first and understandably your pride and joy, it was a cheap guitar. Imagine how much more fiscal pain you'd be feeling shortly if it wasn't.

D. A guitar can be replaced. It's just a material thing.

E. You get the opportunity to shop for a new axe if it's not repairable, or the more likely, won't triage economically viable. IME with Squier Affinity Teles or Strats, and the Short Scale Strat is a segment model below those, I have to recommend a Yamaha Pacifica to you I'm afraid, 112J or V depending on your budget, although a 012 will do if you don't want to spend. Any of those will be a superior experience to your previous Short Scale Squier.

Lastly I concur with the suggestion to buy a decent hard case, a must if you're going to travel anywhere away from home with it. They're so affordable today. I think you are in Germany aren't you? Thomann. I bought an ABS case shortly after buying my initial guitar. I have since bought another.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
12/10/2018 9:29 pm

PS. Almost forgot. Re strap security woes. Strap locks. Whilst I wouldn't transport my guitar by the strap over shoulder method ever, these are still necessary. You are far from the first to learn this lesson the hard way, and won't be the last. Inexpensively or easily fixed though.

I recommend Schaller style strap locks, or Marvel as you prefer.

Genuine Schaller are probably affordable in DE or the US, but they cost an arm an a leg here so I use quality Schaller clones sourced from AliExpress. Thomann have them too as do Amazon. They are fitted to all of my straps and their mating buttons guitars with the exception of my heavier SC Custom which has Marvels.

The other exception by necessity is my Yamaha e-acoustic at the base of the body because of the jack being integral with the strap button. But once the instrument cable plug is inserted (Rapco Horizon with metal Switchcraft connector) it doubles as strap security. I couple that with a silicon grommet type strap lock, plugged or unplugged. The two other acoustics I have also refitted with Schallers at the base and modified fitting buttons at the heel. With the exception of my APX600 for reasons as detailed, I wouldn't use anything else.

# 4
catmeier
catmeier
12/10/2018 11:04 pm

It's not worth fixing. At least not by the shop. It would be $150. I can try to glue to headstock piece back myself then take it in for cheaper.

But.... I got a new guitar! I got a used Schecter Diamond Series. Paid half the price of a new one and it's in absolutely perfect condition. All set up and ready to go. And interesting that I could not for the life of me make a decent C chord on the Squier, but on this guitar it's no problem. And it sounds beautiful!

i will be purchasing strap guards and a case. 😊

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
12/10/2018 11:37 pm

Haha... D & E applied, problems solved. Happy catmier again. 👍

Image of the new 🎸 ? ??

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/10/2018 11:45 pm

These folks produce the most secure guitar straps I've ever seen, http://lockitstraps.com/ The straps are available at online music stores as well as Amazon and EBay.

Beyond being super secure, the straps are detached easily. Still, in the several years I have used one on my Gibson electric it has never come loose on its own.

But I agree with those above... IMO, one should never carry a guitar by its strap and should always use a guitar case, for both transport and storage. If my guitars aen't soon to be in my hand they are in their case. Always.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
catmeier
catmeier
12/11/2018 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll like into those strap connectors on Amazon. And asking Santa for a hard guitar case.

# 8
catmeier
catmeier
12/11/2018 10:05 pm

Here's a pic of my new Schecter.

# 9
manXcat
manXcat
12/12/2018 1:38 am

Lubbly jubbly!

Venerable Lake Placid Blue by whatever name Schecter relable it has always been one of my favourite guitar body colours. 👍

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.