finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/28/2004 4:40 am
I'm curious of the intelligence level of my fellow guitarists.... :confused:
# 1
Hootayah
Hootayah
06/28/2004 5:18 am
Since when is intelligence related to how far you got in school?
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/28/2004 6:12 am
Just graduated 2 weeks ago with my Bachelor's in Computer Science. Man am I glad that's over with. I've been going to school, non-stop, since 1986! :eek:
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/28/2004 10:43 am
Originally Posted by: finger_cruncher...university education still remains one of the strongest means of measuring intelligence (and economic status).

I've seen lecturers who,have PHD's who are quie "unintelligent",by whateer measure you use to define intelligence.
I know everyone is familiar with Bill Gates's story(that he dropped out of Havard to co-found Microsoft),and if you look at the typical richest people in the world in magazines like Fortune and Forbes,you'll fing quite a few eight grade,high school,uni drop outs who are muthaf"""""g rich.
I dropped out of Uni(no.not to emulate Bill),so I can't vote here.
I think the thread should have read "the education level" of this community.
Plus intelligence is a bit subjective.
Plus I've heard about geniuses who quit school coz it's too boring for them.
Education level should have been the word,not intelligence.
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/28/2004 2:00 pm
Agreed. Intelligence does not equal level of education. Achieving PHDs, etc. takes time, money, effort and ambition, but not necessarily intelligence (no offence, Doc Simon!).

However, the only people defending this point are probably those who have an inflated view of their own intelligence and didn't have the circumstances/motivation/self-discipline to complete post-secondary education. Basically, I'm describing myself.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
06/28/2004 2:34 pm
I'll have to vote in 4 years when/if i've finished my degree.

-
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/28/2004 3:05 pm
You left off Associates Degree (2-year degree) so I can't vote...
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2004 3:19 pm
Achieving PHDs, etc. takes time, money, effort and ambition, but not necessarily intelligence (no offence, Doc Simon!).

What a bloody stupid comment, do you know what a PhD is ?

As for intelegance, well..... yes it does, you may split hares about the degree of intelligence however I have not met too many rocks or vegetables with PhDs, or even BSs for that. Did you know that the national drop out rate for doctoral degrees in the US is 50% ? Do you think this outrageously high dropout rate is because people are too lazy ? It is not !

Oh yes and for the record, having money is not a prerequisite for entering into a PhD. I went through the system with out a bean to my name. I do not come from a family of doctors or even a wealthy family.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8
alucard0941
alucard0941
06/28/2004 3:40 pm
Dr Simon you are a real docor??? Wow, I though it was just a name.

Gee, im only in 9th grade... :(
too bad im the best guitarist im my school :D

BTW Simon, what is your PHD on?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2004 3:52 pm
Cell Biology and Drug Delivery
from the University of London School of Pharmacy

you can find my PhD thesis entitled:Characterisation of Poly(amidoamine)s and Chitosan as Potential Intracytoplasmic Delivery Systems
here . (This is now quite old as it was submitted in 1998.)
and my last paper:Mammalian Late Vacuole Protein Sorting Orthologues
Participate in Early Endosomal Fusion and Interact with the Cytoskeleton
here
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/28/2004 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanAchieving PHDs, etc. takes time, money, effort and ambition, but not necessarily intelligence (no offence, Doc Simon!).[/quote]

Yeah, I guess you could expect a "bloody stupid comment" from non-intelligent folk such as myself... (totally just kidding there!)

I didn't say that doctors were all stupid, nor did I say that they were all rich, top-hat-wearing cigar smokers. First of all, I said "PhD, etc.", meaning all the degrees that finger_cruncher listed off.

What I meant was that just because one person has a PhD (or whatever) and another doesn't, there is still no basis for declaring one of them more intelligent than the other. To me, intelligence means the capacity to process information and to use it, among other things. To me, an intelligent person is not someone who can memorize a million facts, calculate pi to the 535321563th degree, etc., but, rather, is someone that you can teach something and they take it to a place you never imagined of. For example, Mozart taking music places no one of his time ever though possible with the set of tools at his disposal. BTW, using my own definitions here, I don't qualify as being someone of above-average intelligence, even though ego-boosting internet IQ tests disagree (as if anyone of a sane mind truly believes that because www.imnotsellinganything.noreally.com tells them that they have an IQ of 197 and would they like to buy even more personality tests and let their friends know that they are all consorting with a veritable genius for only 5 easy payments of $19.95 USD that they're actually wildly above average in the intelligence dept. holy run-on sentence, Batman!)

[quote=Dr_simon]As for intelegance, well..... yes it does, you may split hares about the degree of intelligence however I have not met too many rocks or vegetables with PhDs, or even BSs for that. Did you know that the national drop out rate for doctoral degrees in the US is 50% ? Do you think this outrageously high dropout rate is because people are too lazy ? It is not !

Oh yes and for the record, having money is not a prerequisite for entering into a PhD. I went through the system with out a bean to my name. I do not come from a family of doctors or even a wealthy family.

I am of the opinion that any person of average intelligence and above-average work ethic, self-discipline, motivation, etc. can achieve great things in the Western educational system. Sure, maybe you haven't met too many dolts with PhDs, but I wonder how many geniuses simply blunder their way through a doctorate without doing their homework every night.

Basically, though, the only point I was trying to make was that just because you don't have any letters after your name, doesn't mean that you are not intelligent. Also, I know many geniuses (really) who have no education beyond secondary school (if that), and I know many idiots (really) who have alphabet soup at the end of their names. When I was younger, degrees used to impress me, but after meeting so many degreed people who lack functional minds, I had to adjust my viewpoint.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11
SPL
SPL
06/28/2004 6:43 pm
Only thing I've finished so far is high school, and I doubt I'll be anymore intelligent because of my education by the time I finish my BA.

I, however, don't judge people's intelligence by a degree, or lack thereof, nor by the amount of money they make, or the square footage of the house they are paying a 30 year loan on...

What proves intelligence in people is how they deal with life and it's challenges. Anyone with half a brain can aquire book smarts, but books smarts don't teach critical thinking, creativity, social skills... which are skills that are much more valuable in life than any degree.

Please note that I'm not saying that people with degrees are not intelligent, but the level of their education, or lack thereof, is a lousy measure of their intelligence.
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2004 8:28 pm
I think it is very difficult to quantify intelligence per say . It is equally futile to say A is clever than B due to the fact that different people have different intellectual tools and talents. In many instances, saying that A is smarter than B is like saying that a cloud is bigger than these fish. It is however usefully to say that A is better at carrying out these sorts of tasks than B, which for all intents and purposes is what a degree is all about i.e. a degree is a standard of education and not a mark of intellect.

Standardized forms of evaluation like IQ tests are crude at best, boy do I know that. I am dyslexic and had to fight like hell just to get people to take me seriously. I wasn't diagnosed as dyslexic until half-way through a Masters degree which really didn't make my life any easier. Matter of fact a lot of rather stupid people full of degrees made my life very difficult on account of the fact that they were too dumb to grasp what I was trying to tell them !

So, I may take this space to remind you all of the limited usefulness of generilizations.... (Tee Hee)
# 13
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2004 8:31 pm
Sure, maybe you haven't met too many dolts with PhDs, but I wonder how many geniuses simply blunder their way through a doctorate without doing their homework every night. ....

just read that bit I was drunk through most of mine (shame on me !!!!) !
# 14
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/28/2004 8:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon Achieving PHDs, etc. takes time, money, effort and ambition, but not necessarily intelligence (no offence, Doc Simon!).

As for intelegance, well..... yes it does, you may split hares about the degree of intelligence however I have not met too many rocks or vegetables with PhDs, or even BSs for that. Did you know that the national drop out rate for doctoral degrees in the US is 50% ? Do you think this outrageously high dropout rate is because people are too lazy ? It is not !

Oh yes and for the record, having money is not a prerequisite for entering into a PhD. I went through the system with out a bean to my name. I do not come from a family of doctors or even a wealthy family.[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Simon. Not anyone can obtain a PhD. Sure, post-secondary requires a hard work ethic, but you also do need a certain amount of brains.

However, not all doctors make good musicians ;)

[QUOTE=SPL]Only thing I've finished so far is high school, and I doubt I'll be anymore intelligent because of my education by the time I finish my BA.

What proves intelligence in people is how they deal with life and it's challenges. Anyone with half a brain can aquire book smarts, but books smarts don't teach critical thinking, creativity, social skills... which are skills that are much more valuable in life than any degree.

SPL, who says university only teaches book smarts? Haven't you ever heard of a practicum? University is a hands-on experience, not just abstract ideas. I believe you're talking about 'street smarts' when you talk about dealing with life. Street smarts are important too. Anyway, intelligence can be measured on a variety of scales, including memorization of facts, spatial perception, problem solving, critical thinking, etc. I also disagree that you won't be anymore intelligent after finishing your BA. I will have my BA this fall in Criminology. I have learned tons of information besides just book smarts. I have learned how to critically analyse, problem solve, and become much more efficient with time management. Moreover, I've become more of a skeptic in my time at university and I've matured in every aspect of life. Admittedly, there are some people who have never attended post-secondary who are just as smart as someone with a BA, but that's a rarity. I plan on taking supplementary forensics course so I can work with the RCMP lab unit. :)

Oh, and one more thing, I've put myself through university too. Paid every last cent. I'm not a spoiled rich kid. I work at a crappy job and make a crappy wage. It is erroneous to suggest that only economically priviledged students can go to university.
# 15
SPL
SPL
06/28/2004 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: finger_cruncherSPL, who says university only teaches book smarts?

I sure as hell didn't, and that's definitely not what I was implying either. My post definitely didn't reflect my ideas on the topic fully, it was more an attempt to point out that you simply cannot measure intelligence by someone's education. Implying that education IS a measurement of intelligence seems rather insulting. But that's just me...
# 16
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
06/29/2004 2:30 am
im my experience, intelligence helps but hard work and time efficacy is the recipe for success. There is definitly something to be said for intelligence and combined with hard work its dynamite, but usually hard work in the academic world can really pull weight. None the less a PHD shows a high level of commimitment and of course intelligence for sure.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/29/2004 4:05 am
I renew my Mensa membership whenever the locally available level of discourse becomes overly disappointing. By the end of Grade 12, I was so bored and frustrated that I left academia behind forever.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
Hootayah
Hootayah
06/29/2004 4:20 am
> As for intelegance

When you discuss intelligence it's always a good idea to spell "intelligence" wrong. :p
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
06/29/2004 5:47 am
hmmm.. several (serious) IQ-test i´ve taken have proven my IQ to be somwhere between 130 and 137. I guess thats enuff for playing guitar.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.