Intelligence Level of Guitar Tricks Community

Tank_Simmons
Tank_Simmons
06/29/2004 5:30 pm
I agree with the statement that a degree or whatever is not a tell as to how intelligent someone is. Look at me, I have 2 phd's in English Literature and Ancient Egyptian history (yes, Im a nerd, but a ass-kickin nerd) and my best friend is as smart or smarter than myself, and he dropped out of college after one semester.

I have also met some of my fellow phd colleagues and some of them aren't all that intelligent. It's just the kind of person someone is, not the degree they have.
Knock, knock
Who's there?
Ted Bundy
Ted Bundy who?
Let me in, meat
No!!!!
I mean....Hi, it's Santa Claus
Yay!....Santa!
# 21
TheDirt
TheDirt
06/29/2004 6:02 pm
Warning: This is a personal, non-professional observation, based on a small sample size (my high school).

I come from a pretty small town. My graduating class consisted of only about 120 people. I knew just about every one of them pretty well, having grown up with them. Not many people decided to go to college after high school from my class, less than 25%. Knowing these people, I can say that nearly all the people that did go to college seem to be smarter than most of those who did not. There are a few exceptions, of course, but in general, a person's level of schooling tends to be a [u]good overall estimate[/u] of intelligence where I come from. All the high school drop-outs that I know were ignorant trouble-makers, not genuises.

Personally, I believe that I've become more intelligent due to my university-level schooling (I'm only half-way done with my bachelor's right now, however).
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 22
TheDirt
TheDirt
06/29/2004 9:55 pm
Yes, we all know of exceptional people who are really smart, though they lacked the ambition/money/whatever to finish high school/college. But they are just that -- exceptions to the general rule of thumb that someone's education level is usually a good indicator of their intelligence.

Rather than citing personal examples back and forth, consider this... if you had a doctor, lawyer, computer programmer, psychologist, and professor on the left, and a trash collector, fast food grillboy, Wal-Mart cart pusher, (non-Good Will Hunting) janitor, and a burnt potato chip picker (the guy who sits there and watches the chips go by on a conveyor belt removing the burnt ones... this really is a job, I promise I'm not making it up) on the right, which on average, would be the smarter group?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

# 23
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/30/2004 4:00 am
Sounds like you're trying to distinguish yourself as a product of society's elite. You wouldn't be writing this if you yourself were a Cart Wrangler at Wal-Mart.

~Incidents
# 24
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
06/30/2004 5:20 am
Id say the garbage guy is smart..down here no one wants to do garbage so if you start your company and ur the only one around then theres some big money in it...lol
thats just my opinion but id say the computer programmer is smart
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 25
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
06/30/2004 5:41 am
"N, N, Nā€™, Nā€™,-tetramethyl-N, Nā€™-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)-2,-
3-dioleoyloxy-1,4-butanediammoniumiodide"

Jeeeez....

I think i'm going to read your paper to find out what the hell that means Doc Simon!
# 26
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
06/30/2004 5:45 am
I'd say the computer programmer needs a new job...and possibly a life.

Having delved into computer programming myself I have to say it's the most boring thing I've ever done in my entire life, and i've had some boring moments.
# 27
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/30/2004 11:51 am
Originally Posted by: Jamiephofe"N, N, Nā€™, Nā€™,-tetramethyl-N, Nā€™-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)-2,-
3-dioleoyloxy-1,4-butanediammoniumiodide"

Jeeeez....

I think i'm going to read your paper to find out what the hell that means Doc Simon!

That is what we in the trade call.... "stuff"..... as in pass my that brown bottle off stuff please!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 28
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
06/30/2004 8:12 pm
all of the big soundin word that that guys posted can be broken down into little things...we had to do crap like that in CP chemistry...man did I hate it
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 29
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/01/2004 3:22 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenSounds like you're trying to distinguish yourself as a product of society's elite. You wouldn't be writing this if you yourself were a Cart Wrangler at Wal-Mart.

~Incidents

Not so fast... I'm currently doing some computer programming and I'm a part-time waiter. Let me also list off my last 3 jobs -- independant contractor (I remodel houses whenever there's work to be done), night shift truck unloader, painter. I'm nowhere near elite in jobs, lol. I was just trying to make a point with the job thing.

# 30
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/01/2004 3:27 am
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeI'd say the computer programmer needs a new job...and possibly a life.

Having delved into computer programming myself I have to say it's the most boring thing I've ever done in my entire life, and i've had some boring moments.

What have you done with programming? I'm half-way done with a computer science major at the University of Minnesota, and I do programming part-time for a couple companies, and I love it. I mean, the work they have me do can sometimes be tedious, but I do personal stuff all the time for fun.

For example, I like to play the game Risk, as well as Axis and Allies. I mainly play with my uncle. I lived very near him for a year, so there was no problem, but then we moved away from each other. I still wanted to play the game, but we couldn't do the dice rolling thing legit. Well, I wrote a real-time server-side dice rolling and chat app so that we can play the game via the internet.

With computer science, it seems you either love it or hate it... I've met few in-betweens.

# 31
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/01/2004 7:09 am
Originally Posted by: TheDirtWith computer science, it seems you either love it or hate it... I've met few in-betweens.

Consider me to be an "in-between". Like you can see from my earlier post on this thread, I just got my Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science earlier this month. I definately hated most of my CS classes but I hope once I get paid to bust my ass wrangling logic full-time I'll enjoy it more. As for programs I write for myself just pissing around those are really fun. I got started back in the 80's (at the tender age of around 8 or 9) playin' around with a Commodore 64 :) big machinery there, it had the real floppies, 5 1/4 baby.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 32
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/01/2004 4:56 pm
Originally Posted by: TheDirtNot so fast... I'm currently doing some computer programming and I'm a part-time waiter. Let me also list off my last 3 jobs -- independant contractor (I remodel houses whenever there's work to be done), night shift truck unloader, painter. I'm nowhere near elite in jobs, lol. I was just trying to make a point with the job thing.

wow, sorry about that; It just seems to me that you'll never find a Bagger at a grocery store telling you that education=intelligence, but a doctor with 2 phd's just might. Interesting!

~Incidents
# 33
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
07/01/2004 6:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happenwow, sorry about that; It just seems to me that you'll never find a Bagger at a grocery store telling you that education=intelligence, but a doctor with 2 phd's just might. Interesting!

~Incidents

I'm currently a cashier at a grocery store. I also bag! :rolleyes: And I suggest a positive correlation between education and intelligence. ;)
# 34
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/03/2004 12:39 am
I'm sure Incidents didn't mean to offend anyone by making a connection between education and intelligence. Just for the sake of intelligence being measured by a simple poll, I'd say he was on the right track. I mean what could he have done otherwise... rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 as to how intelligent you are? (I'd give myself a 10 for the record :rolleyes: ).

# 35
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/03/2004 2:08 am
I'm sure Incidents didn't mean to offend anyone by making a connection between education and intelligence. Just for the sake of intelligence being measured by a simple poll, I'd say he was on the right track. I mean what could he have done otherwise... rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 as to how intelligent you are? (I'd give myself a 10 for the record ).

iiholly hits the nail right on the head, except the first sentence. Was that one sarcasm? :confused:

~Incidents
# 36
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/03/2004 11:09 pm
That wasn't sarcasm; it was just my perception of the debate people were having on this thread. It felt like mostly everyone was being a little too sensitive about a simple poll.

# 37
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/04/2004 3:10 am
yes but another thing to remember is that some people have not yet done what they are gona do ! If you are a 13 Yo guitar trickster then you aint gona have a PhD !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 38
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2004 8:28 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon... If you are a 13 Yo guitar trickster then you aint gona have a PhD !
Well, not quite yet, anyway.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 39
cromag
cromag
07/04/2004 7:35 pm
They get you to sign up get your email, Then limit your bandwith to one soundfile, Real nice guitar tricks! Cant wait to see how many emails I start getting.
# 40

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.