lyrics

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/30/2004 7:37 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretions... Death metal isn't death metal without the death.
... which makes me wonder what the attraction is ? :confused:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/30/2004 1:18 pm
I think pretty much every genre has some "gimicky" music.

# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/30/2004 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretions...Try writing death metal lyrics then we'll take them and compare them to some death metal lyricists and see which is better...[/quote]
With all respect,due or otherwise,to people's idea of what is creative and what is not,if someone fancies a woman's intestines from her vagina(God,I'm having a problem typing this),I'm not even going to try and prove anything to them by getting into a lyrics writing contest.In fact,such lyrics give me some idea for a death lyric:
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
[quote=Cryptic Excretions]...I can call country music noise all I want, but people still find musical quality in it...

I always find it a tard bit funny how anyone who wants to exude anything from heavy metal ruggedness to hip hop gangster isht takes on country for a beating.
By and large,the point here is,if death metal is about eating dead women's intestines from their vaginas(shouldn't a mod be censoring this?),then it's all a plain ****ing gimmick.I'm really undergoing some schooling here with regard to death metal(I've heard the name before,but had no idea what it was all about).
So you're angry.And angry people eat dead vaginas from intestines. :eek:
YOU C'MON!!
JEEZ!
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/30/2004 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavid... (shouldn't a mod be censoring this?)...
It's disgusting :mad: , but it's within the Forum rules.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/30/2004 10:50 pm
It's as much of a gimmick as piss and moaning about a poor childhood is in new metal, drugs and thugs is in rap, mama in jail and the broken down truck is in country. There's always a few that veer from the typical, like Opeth, I don't know the meanings, but they don't sing about cannibalism and sexual exhumations. Eminem, I guess, doesn't rap like othe rappers. There's always a few, but for the most part there's something that works in every genre. If that's the case then music as a whole is one big gimmick. I'm not arguing your point I'm just pointing out that it applies to everything so if one mentions a "gimmick" in one genre then they should be mentioning all gimmicks in all genres. The blues isn't really the blues without, well, the blues. Nor is any other genre without their main drive. And I guess just to mark the ball being tossed back into your court "C'mon man".
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/01/2004 4:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsIt's as much of a gimmick as piss and moaning about a poor childhood is in new metal, drugs and thugs is in rap, mama in jail and the broken down truck is in country...[/quote]
A poor childhood is real,and it's not limited to new metal.
While no real thug in my opinion would go about talking about their exploits(ever see how much trouble antinarcotics police go to nab barons and dealers?),drugs and thugs are real.
A lot of people's mamas nad papas have been jailed,breaking families apart,wreaking childhoods,hurting people.And it's not limited to counrty,trust you me.
BUT EATING A DEAD WOMAN'S ______ FROM HER ____!?!?!?
How real is that?
If I'm not mistaken,it's when things aren't real that they're called gimmicks.
[quote=cryptic excreations]if one mentions a "gimmick" in one genre then they should be mentioning all gimmicks in all genres...

Nope.
I see a gimmick,I mention it.What you're saying is a bit like arguing that if you're charged with a crime,unless everyone else who's committed such a crime gets charged as well,then neither should you.Nuh.If you're guilty,you're guilty.We'll get to the others when we get to th others.
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/01/2004 10:21 pm
Gimmick (gim-ick) 1. an ingenious scheme or device 2. a hidden feature. It says nothing about being real or not. I believe when things are fake it's fictional. Brutal murder is just as real as things in all sorts of other genres. Ed Gein, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and Jack the Ripper to name a few. Granted they weren't the same style as the apparent one song you've seen lyrics from, but cannibalism, brutal raping and murder is just as real, it's just not as pleasant. Song topics (a poor childhood as we've talked about) can be delivered through any genre. I could make a punk song about cutting open someone's guts and taking it to a more perverse level. You can cry in any genre you want, it'd just be a lot more interesting because it's not nearly as common, so you can cry, kill, be happy, and so forth in any style you choose. And sorry to say, but your opinion doesn't apply to what the thugs do as they very well talk about smoking joints and blasting guns at unfriendly gangs and so forth. I'm not saying all of them do, just that there are several that do. If I'm guilty I'm guilty, if I'm not I'm not, it just doesn't change the fact that it's the same through out, just on certain aspects. I just think it that if one is called out on it, then all should be called out on it, determining guilt from innocence is a whole different ball game.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
05/01/2004 11:32 pm
[QUOTE=Cryptic Excretions]Gimmick (gim-ick) 1. an ingenious scheme or device 2. a hidden feature. It says nothing about being real or not. I believe when things are fake it's fictional. Brutal murder is just as real as things in all sorts of other genres. Ed Gein, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and Jack the Ripper to name a few. Granted they weren't the same style as the apparent one song you've seen lyrics from[QUOTE]

Actually if I'm not mistaken that song by Cannibal Corpse, well I don't need to meantion the name again but it's off the CD "hammer smashed face". Ah, yeah the part you are agrueing about is about Ed Gein. He actually did do that, and the sound clip in the beginning is from a movie about him.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 8
basics
basics
05/02/2004 2:49 am
haha, neat.

Lyrics gotta fit the song, man. That's death. Who cares if it's not real, the targetted audience likes it and so everybody's happy. :D
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/02/2004 4:14 am
And the lyrics go beyond death metal, granted they're not as graphic in other genres, but none the less songs of killing are rampant elsewhere. Eric Clapton's I shot the sheriff. Sure he's not talking about shooting the guy repeatedly beyond recognition, but the main drive of the song is about him shooting a guy, thus him killing another man. So he didn't eat the guy's intestines, he's still dead all the same. I don't know about Cannibal Corpse making songs based around Ed Gein, but I do know Slayer did. Dead skin mask. A lot of songs, cd covers, and general ideas are based on or pictures of, or even directly about a real death incident.

Hulk Smash!!

# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/02/2004 2:44 pm
He swore it was in self defense though.... :cool:

# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/02/2004 7:31 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyHe swore it was in self defense though.... :cool:
... and it was written and recorded by Bob Marley.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/03/2004 3:21 am
Ok, so I apparently wasn't sure of who wrote the song, but the point still stands. And to add more to it, ICP the rap group, sings about necrophilia and killing on a somewhat regular basis. They're about a medium on the graphic level I'd say, course no other genre comes close to death metal, but that's why it's death metal now isn't it. But none the less, there's death in all sorts of genres.

Hulk Smash!!

# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/03/2004 6:50 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretions... But none the less, there's death in all sorts of genres.
Too true. I've seen people laughing and clapping in time as the band plays "Stagger Lee" and closes with the line "The bullet went through Billy, and broke the bartender's glass"!

'Fact is, peeps don't pay much attention to the lyrics.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/04/2004 12:00 am
Thats not true about the whole lyric thing. I think what you meant is that people won't necessarily not listen to a song, because what the song is saying. But if what you meant was people don't pay attention to lyrics... like at all you are wrong my friend. I know one of the only reasons I listen to a lot of the indie rock bands that I listen to like Neutral Milk Hotel is for the lyrics. I mean the background music is ok, but its not top rate or anything. Well my point is that people do pay attention to lyrics.

# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/04/2004 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyThats not true about the whole lyric thing. I think what you meant is that people won't necessarily not listen to a song, because what the song is saying. But if what you meant was people don't pay attention to lyrics... like at all you are wrong my friend. I know one of the only reasons I listen to a lot of the indie rock bands that I listen to like Neutral Milk Hotel is for the lyrics. I mean the background music is ok, but its not top rate or anything. Well my point is that people do pay attention to lyrics.

Did you all see that? That's where a change in debate topic comes in. Now instead of debating about vulgar lyrics we're probably gonna switch to the value of lyrics in a song. Isn't it amazing how things change over time?

Hulk Smash!!

# 16
basics
basics
05/04/2004 1:44 am
Natural progression of the discussion as far as I can see, initiated by string lord (as a side note, explaining why lyric vulgarity doesn't matter anyway).

...Basic seal of approval, proceed.
# 17
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/04/2004 1:23 pm
The thing with arguments is that you gotta make sure you don't lose sight of the reason the argument(discussion would be a better term here)started,what point someone is trying to make,etc,etc.
Now:
Gimm-ick:Ingenous scheme...
That very definition implies intent to cheat,swindle,....,that's why it's being called a scheme.Because it's not the real thing.Killing is real.Eating the intestines of a woman through her vagina when the body's been rotting for a month is not real.
The lyrics are intended to create some impession on the target crowd for the sake of creating the impression,not because it's something someone did or anything like that.which is why I said,and I still maintain it's a gimmick.Fake.Some gangsters are real.But those you see rapping about their exploits on MTV and BET and VH1 are not.They've come up with "an ingenous scheme" to create some impression with their target audience and make money.They're fake.Gimmicks.
Talking about killing someone is one thing.But talking about what you did with which parts of their corpses a month after the murder is entirely different.And I really don't see how you see these two lines as being the same at the end of the day:
"I shot the sherriff....but it was in self defence..."
"I killed a woman and ate her intestines from her vagina when her corpse was one month old..."
I really don't.
And you're right,I've never listened to any death metal.I can't even name a death band that I know.
I just saw some fake disgusting item and pointed it out,s'all.
# 18
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/04/2004 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: spanky10940I think that lyrics are good when you get the point without having to dig into it...

the song touches you the way that the author penned it..

A buddy of mine is in an originals band and he asked me to give an honest critique of them - they were VERY tight and they are good musicians but the lyrics were so 80's touchy feely that the thing that comes across was that they had no message, or point to the song and were working too hard for metaphors and such... can't stand that..

say what you mean and mean what you say - makes it better for everyone involved.. especially the audience...

It started as a "debate" about the value of lyrics... as seen above ^^^.

# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/04/2004 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavid"I killed a woman and ate her intestines from her vagina when her corpse was one month old..."

Can't...respond...laughing...too...hard...Must...reach...yellow...sun.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.