Help me with some sabotage

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/02/2004 2:57 am
What's up my fellow guitartricksters? I need to break some stuff and I need your help. Every morning I wake up to my roommate's crappy music (electronic, techno, whatever you wanna call it) being pumped around our apartment at a very high volume...utter noise pollution... It's getting so bad that I am starting to secretly wish that bodily harm will somehow come to him, so before this issue boils over into a fistfight I was thinking of just nippin' this problem off right now. So how do I do it? How can I kill his stereo or speakers without leaving any evidence of tampering? A Needle through the right wire? High powered Electromagnets? I'm really out of my element here. Thanks in advance, and if I get a good piece of advice, I'll keep y'all informed on this thread! Thanks!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
Jimmysticks
Jimmysticks
03/02/2004 3:02 am
just unscrew the stereo when he is gone, and take out something that looks important. then put it back together.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2004 4:27 am
why not try talking to him / her about it and if they still insist on being an asshole threaten to take a crap somewhere in his room.

if they think your mad enough to do it you are on to a winner
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/02/2004 4:44 am
There must be a saying out there somewhere to the effect that you don't really know someone until you live with them. If not, I'm making that a saying :D. My roommate is an extremely self-serving and impulsive individual. My issues with him go beyond him pumping rave-music through our apartment while I'm trying to sleep. For instance, in the month of February alone, 3 separate weekends he had friends over. The first time wasn't bad at all because it was a hot chick. The last time was just one of his buddies, but he stayed thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and didn't leave until today. My roommate was never around however, and I spent at least 3 times the amount of time with his friends than he did because he was either working, or out bangin' his ex-girlfriend. Effectively he spent no time with his friends who were down to see him, I did and didn't necessarily want to. All this behaviour is shady to say the least, but our lease at this apartment is over in June and I'll easily tough out these last few months with him. I'm a 22-year-old, fifth year senior at college, and hopefully this is the last time I'll ever have to live with someone that isn't my girlfriend. I'd sit down and talk with him if I thought he'd be receptive. But he'd probably just think I was a dick for overreacting. It'd be easier for me just to take away his ability to play crappy music really loud, as that's the only thing I truly care about happening with respect to this whole situation.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
basics
basics
03/02/2004 4:53 am
People suck man. All you can do is find their weaknesses and use em for it but sometimes just the knowledge that a certain personality actually exists is enough to tempt the law.
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/02/2004 4:56 am
Hmm..are there any black wire inside the contraption? What you could do would be cut the wire of choice and rough or sand or whatever the ends to crap and then tape it tighly together with electric/duct/whatever's available tape that looks similar. Many hardware stores have thin rolls of straight black inconspicuous electrical tape for not much $$. Only two things to make sure of, 1. Check like three times the wire has nothing to do with power supply because fires suck like nothing else, and 2. make sure there's a little bit of space between the cut and mangled ends. If he somehow figures out where the problem is and you're asked about it then it 'was probably something done by the shop or previous owner because there was something wrong with it and they didn't want to get a proper repair done'. It happens all the time, right?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
03/02/2004 3:02 pm
try taking off the cover of the speakers and then just mess around with the actuall speaker, by mess around i mean push, hit, etc, should stop the speaker working as well cos it damages it then when it starts to sound like crap you with all your knowledge of guitar amps etc.. can tell him how the high levels of bass can really screw up speakers.
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 7
SPL
SPL
03/02/2004 3:24 pm
Originally posted by Leedogg
How can I kill his stereo or speakers without leaving any evidence of tampering?

Do you really want to run the risk of him going out and getting new bigger and louder stereo system?

Don't have a conversation with him, don't ask him, but TELL him to simply not to that ****! It really is that simple.
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/03/2004 4:24 am
Earplugs?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
basics
basics
03/03/2004 4:38 am
Yeah man, that's what i do. Headphones. He comes in (and I know what hip hoppin gun tottin hip ganster wanna bes are like, idiots) and all you gotta do is plug in your headphones. The whole point of hiphop is the beat, the bass, and unless you crank it and are drunk, looking to get laid and thinking you're the greatest dancer in the world, hip hop is useless. He'll crank it up and you just gotta shove in your headphones man.
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2004 4:49 am
Every time your roommate walks in yell, "Hooray! You're back!" as loud as you can and dance around the room for five minutes.
Afterwards, keep looking at your watch and saying,
"Shouldn't you be going somewhere?"

Every time you see your roommate yell, "You son of a..." and
kick him in the stomach. Then buy him some ice cream.

Draw a tiny, black spot on your arm. Make it bigger every day.
Look at it and say, "It's spreading, it's spreading."

Hang up pictures of chickens all over the room. If your roommate
eats eggs, yell at him and call him a cannibal.

While your roommate is out, glue your shoes to the ceiling.
When your roommate walks in, sit on the floor, hold your head,
and moan.

Collect potatoes. Paint faces on them and give them names.
Name one after your roommate. Separate your roommate's potato
from the others. Wait a few days, and then bake your
roommate's potato and eat it. Explain to your roommate, "He
just didn't belong."
# 11
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/03/2004 5:11 am
Dude, I seriously have never laughed so freaking hard in my entire life.

Oh my, my side hurts. That's just too damn funny.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/03/2004 6:21 am
  • First Response:

• Explain to this asshole that you need your "Beauty Sleep", and if you are deprived of this by their early morning "concerts", you will indeed get "ugly" with them. State this in a way that implies serious physical harm.

• Second Response:

• If this repulsive behaviour continues, you are free to assume that physical harm is not a deterrent. This leaves you no alternative but to neutralise the offending stereo. You need some straight pins and a pair of wire cutters. Remove the grille from the front of both of the speakers. Push a pin through the cone at the edge of the voice coil, into the magnet gap that the voice coil moves in. Clip off the head of the pin with the wire cutters, and nudge the pin all the way in until it is no longer visible. It may take a minute or two for this cretin to realise that all is not well, but the resulting damage can range from crunchy bass to fried amp and/or speakers.

Either way, "Another One Bites The Dust"!

.. or you could simply deck the S.O.B. and leave it at that ...

...{afterthoughts}...
  • schmange has some interesting ideas... depending on the laws concerning involountary psychiatric observation in your locale, they might lead to unhappy conclusions.

• There is always the possibility of a more powerful stereo replacing the original offender. But then, pins are a lot cheaper than stereos!

• Since the people that come to visit him end up spending so much time with you instead, you have an uparallelled oportunity to alienate these people from him. No falsehood required - his obvious absence should be enough.

• You have guitar and an amp? Since you're awake anyway, reply to the outbursts from "Der Roomie" with as many dB of SPL as you can provide! Scales, riffs, whatever you feel like playing.

After all, if reasonbale discussion (you did try that. didn't you?) fails, there is only [u]un[/u]reasonable reaction left to you!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/03/2004 6:54 am
I think something effective might be wait until he's trying to sleep at like 2-4am, point your amp at him, and crank it loud as it goes without doing permanent damage. If he complains you couln't get to sleep and a little amplified expression always helps you relax. :) And then do that every night until he gets the hint or stops sleeping.

Or Schmange's ideas, those would probably work just as well.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 14
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/03/2004 8:45 am
LMAO! Thanks for all the replies guys. Schmange, those were some off the wall ideas, I think I'm gonna go with the potato idea :) Oddly enough, I haven't seen my roommate since Sunday night because he's back with his ex-girlfriend. This is fine with me, except our apartment is still trashed from when his buddy was here over the weekend.

Upon deeper analysis of myself and this situation, I've come to realize that I'm chronically nonconfrontational. The thought of letting a person know that something they are doing is bothering me is difficult to bear. I realize this is irrational, and I shouldn't expect my roomie to be a mindreader or anything.
My YouTube Profile
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/03/2004 2:30 pm
why not simply kill him - in a very ... funny way - like tell the police you wanted to make a replay of the ACDC cover where angus gets stabbed by the guitar. this might make you famous and you can do the jailhouserock afterwards! plus it will get us guitarplayers back to the 70/80`s where we were known as bloodthirsty monsters.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2004 10:50 pm
Schmange, you are a sick puppy !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 17
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/04/2004 1:28 am
Originally posted by Azrael
plus it will get us guitarplayers back to the 70/80`s where we were known as bloodthirsty monsters.

Hey, whatever I can do to help out my brethren :D
My YouTube Profile
# 18
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/04/2004 5:42 am
Originally posted by Leedogg
There must be a saying out there somewhere to the effect that you don't really know someone until you live with them. If not, I'm making that a saying :D. My roommate is an extremely self-serving and impulsive individual. My issues with him go beyond him pumping rave-music through our apartment while I'm trying to sleep. For instance, in the month of February alone, 3 separate weekends he had friends over. The first time wasn't bad at all because it was a hot chick. The last time was just one of his buddies, but he stayed thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and didn't leave until today. My roommate was never around however, and I spent at least 3 times the amount of time with his friends than he did because he was either working, or out bangin' his ex-girlfriend. Effectively he spent no time with his friends who were down to see him, I did and didn't necessarily want to. All this behaviour is shady to say the least, but our lease at this apartment is over in June and I'll easily tough out these last few months with him. I'm a 22-year-old, fifth year senior at college, and hopefully this is the last time I'll ever have to live with someone that isn't my girlfriend. I'd sit down and talk with him if I thought he'd be receptive. But he'd probably just think I was a dick for overreacting. It'd be easier for me just to take away his ability to play crappy music really loud, as that's the only thing I truly care about happening with respect to this whole situation.

There is only one thing for you to do.

Go out and purchase "Transnational Speedway League" by Clutch. On that album is a song called "Bing and Purge."

Play it at high volume while wandering around the apartment in an agitated demeanor while screaming along with EVERY SINGLE WORD. Having loco eyes is a major bonus.

Your roommate should become much more docile after witnessing this site.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 19
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/04/2004 9:43 pm
^:D That was awesome.
-A.H.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.