old people

Death55
Death55
01/30/2004 11:01 pm
Dont you find some old people are really mouthy and dont know when to shutup. I used to skateboard quite a bit and almost everytime someone complained that i shouldnt be skating were i was always seemed to be an old person. Some dont even come face to face and tell you to go away. Instead they just mumble as they walk by so you can just hear them. This really annoys me because it wouldnt be fair to go up to them out pick them up and throw them on the floor. Has anyone ever found old people are grumpy and annoying and have had bad experiences with them ? (i'm not ageist, i just find a lot of old people retarded)
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 1
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/30/2004 11:54 pm
Hmm... well once I was walking out a shop door.. and I did that thing where I turned to the left to pass this old guy but he turned left too, then I turned right and he turned right, then left again, I looked up, smiled and said "sorry pal". He just looked at me miserably as If I was sum loser so I said "F*ckin smile"!
Now thats totally out of character of me but yea Ill admit I have a problem with older people. I just cant get on with them. Thats not being ageist in the slightest though, its a matter of preference. I prefer to share the company of people my age.
# 2
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
01/31/2004 12:45 am
just think how many people that are your own age that are complete ****s... they all gotta get old! and in alot of cases it seems they did.

old people on the road are the worst, i remember meeting an old man in a very expensive mercedes coming at speed the wrong way down a one way street, and then there was the time an old lady in our town managed to roll her car in the supermarket car park crashing through the front window! oh yeah and then theres the old lady who stepped on the gas instead of the brake approaching traffic lights in the high street, sadly she killed a pedestrian.

# 3
dinell2
dinell2
01/31/2004 2:43 am
They are the worst drivers... I have to travel this long, two-lane curvy road to work everyday, It is 55 mph speed allowance and often I encounter some ol' F*#k GOING 35 MPH. It's dangerous to pass on this road mind you... You finally pass them and they can hardly see past the hood ornament. God help us all... will we all succum to this manner of old age?

http://groups.msn.com/GuitarPage
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/31/2004 2:59 am
You guys are all wrong. Young people suck. They generally have bad manners, loiter around public places and cause trouble and have little respect for others. It's getting worse and worse these days. (Now, remember I said "generally").

I'm not even an old person (24), and young people get on my nerves.

Originally posted by Death55
Dont you find some old people are really mouthy and dont know when to shutup.

This really annoys me because it wouldnt be fair to go up to them out pick them up and throw them on the floor.

??? Older people have no obligation to submit to young people. What do you mean they "don't know when to shut up"??!?!? They've earned the right to say whatever they want to you; your job is to listen, smile, and nod without saying a word. That's called "showing respect". Also involved in "showing respect" is not saying things like "old people never know when to shut up", or cursing at them.

I do agree that old people are bad drivers, though.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/31/2004 4:50 am
Respect is just a commodity.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
Death55
Death55
01/31/2004 11:47 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
at one time they were probably just as wild as you are

Thats what they seem to forget. They dont seem to remember how fun it was to be a rebel when they were younger.
I also do find young people annoying too. They also dont know when to shut up. This is because they have no common sense and think that certain things are cool when they aren't.
I do some old people very kind and understanding. Some will come up to you in the street and have a chat with you and be very understanding and listen to what you have to say.
I think anyone can be annoying but its just the old people who always seem to be grumpy who annoy me most.
Even my friends can be annoying which is always there fault. My one friend will get really angry sometimes for no reason even when i'm just trying to talk normally to him and my other friend just complains to me about things that i cant do anything about and says things like " i will crush you into the ground if you smell of smoke " and its not my fault if other people have been around me when they were smoking. :(

By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 7
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
01/31/2004 5:04 pm
Its young people with problem. I lived in three cities as a teenager. Never had any problems with elders. But i noticed how damn mouthy skaters are towards elders, its very rude and you should be the one getting pushed to the floor.

They may be old but they been through a hell of alot more than you, and they seen it all
# 8
Death55
Death55
01/31/2004 6:41 pm
NO its the fact that they dont understand what "fun" is and are just boring and think everyone should be perfect.
# 9
guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
01/31/2004 10:37 pm
There are old people who can be pricks and in a bad mood most the time, but also there can be as many young pricks and in a bad mood most the time, some are grumpy and some are laid back and fun to be around, young or old. One of my favorite quotes from richard pryor; There's a lot of young wise men out there in the world, their deader than a motherf*%ker, you dont get old by being no fool.
guitarmanxxxx
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/01/2004 1:40 am
Flying lessons that apply to life in general:

"A superior pilot is one who applies superior judgement to reduce the need for their superior skill."

"There's old pilots; and there's bold pilots:
There's no old, bold pilots."

As for being grumpy: A lot of people who don't enjoy life have failed to consider their alternatives.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
I Suffer
I Suffer
02/01/2004 1:54 am
I was watching a comdey show, and this guy was talking about how old people always claim they are getting scamed by people calling and telling them they won a trip to dinsey world, and all they have to do is send them 5,000 and its theres. And then the old people are they: " they took advanage of me cause we are old"

then he was like, how come old people always say " they took advantage of us cause we are old", but whenever you get into a fight with one their first defense is " when you have been around for as long as i have, then you can talk to me!". ...it makes sense.

Just because a person is old, doesnt mean im going to give them the up most respect, it has to be earned, its not a given. Alot of elderly people i know, or have come in contact with, are just very bitter. And they use their shopping carts as battering to hit me in walmart with, cause im " in the way". Now they could be nice and say " excuse me", but they just go for the knees instead.

Now if someone gives me respect i have no problem giving it back.
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
02/01/2004 5:46 am
Originally posted by I Suffer
Just because a person is old, doesnt mean im going to give them the up most respect, it has to be earned, its not a given.

Now, what have you done to earn their respect? I'm not trying to be combative here, just pointing out the fact that a lot of kids these days demand respect, but are stingy in giving it out to those who, in reality, have earned it.

When these people were young, sure, they liked to have a good time, but you can also be darned sure that they gave their elders plenty of respect. And if they didn't, you can be sure that they learned their lesson, either from those elders or their parents.

What's changed isn't the way old people interact in society today, but, rather, the way young people treat and view old people. Older people should be valued, respected, cherished. They have much to offer and plenty of experience.

Like Mark Twain said, youth is wasted on the young!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2004 3:16 pm
When you are 35 you will look back on this thread and think "God I was so dumb back then" !

I look back on my self when I was 16-20 and wonder how I managed to work out that breathing was a good idea.

The young can't imagine what it is the old know, The old know what it is they they know that the young don't and know they cant tell em.

So thats what Im doing, not telling you !

In the meantime, if you do realize that there are things out there that could enlighten you, you will be going in the right direction. If in turn this allows you to think that "old people" may actually have something "that could benefit you and make your life easier" then I wont have been entirely wasting my time !

Dr Simon,

(who is very pleased he is not quite so young any more !)

Since turning 30 I have enjoyed my life more than at any time previously and it only looks like it is going to get better !

[Edited by Dr_simon on 02-01-2004 at 03:40 PM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/01/2004 7:19 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
... I look back on my self when I was 16-20 and wonder how I managed to work out that breathing was a good idea...
:D LMAO! :D

When I was 18, I was convinced that my father was the most clueless individual ever inflicted on this earth, and none of my peers argued the point.

By the time I turned 30, I was amazed at how much that man had learned in 12 short years! :)

BTW: That's a time-joke - it won't hit you until you get older. j/k :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/01/2004 8:11 pm
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
You guys are all wrong. Young people suck. They generally have bad manners, loiter around public places and cause trouble and have little respect for others. It's getting worse and worse these days. (Now, remember I said "generally").

I'm not even an old person (24), and young people get on my nerves.

Originally posted by Death55
Dont you find some old people are really mouthy and dont know when to shutup.

This really annoys me because it wouldnt be fair to go up to them out pick them up and throw them on the floor.

??? Older people have no obligation to submit to young people. What do you mean they "don't know when to shut up"??!?!? They've earned the right to say whatever they want to you; your job is to listen, smile, and nod without saying a word. That's called "showing respect". Also involved in "showing respect" is not saying things like "old people never know when to shut up", or cursing at them.

I do agree that old people are bad drivers, though.

Yeah uhh...you beat me to it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
indianaracer
indianaracer
02/01/2004 9:11 pm
Listen here, you young punks ! I'm going to attain the age of 60 years in September. I am proud of it ! I was playing guitar and was an opening act (locally) for some of the grooviest combos of the early-mid 1960's. Remember the 60's, punk ? Oh, I guess not, as you were still a wet dream in your father's mind. Regardless of what you think, you have not cornered the market on "being young" or playing guitar or even skate boarding, for that matter. They all existed BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, DUDE ! Granted, folks from another generation can get on your nerves or be irritating. But it's not because of their age. It's because their "ways" are different. They were raised up in a different time. Better listen up.....cause "your generation's ways" are gonna be laughed at in a few years, when YOU get older. And trust me, you WILL get older. And it will happen much faster than you want it to. As you get older and older and older, your generation's "ways" will become more and more of a joke. Better learn to have a little understanding for folks of another "time", because in about the year 2040, the youngsters are going to be talking about how those old foggie's get on their nerves or are irritating........and they's gonna be talkin' at you, dude !
P.S. In 2040, be sure to check back at this forum and I'll have a pic of a 96 year old geezer "chompin' his "Strat"....and that'll be me. 'Nuff said ?
"Get high on life & family"
# 17
I Suffer
I Suffer
02/01/2004 9:24 pm
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
Originally posted by I Suffer
Just because a person is old, doesnt mean im going to give them the up most respect, it has to be earned, its not a given.

Now, what have you done to earn their respect? I'm not trying to be combative here, just pointing out the fact that a lot of kids these days demand respect, but are stingy in giving it out to those who, in reality, have earned it.

When these people were young, sure, they liked to have a good time, but you can also be darned sure that they gave their elders plenty of respect. And if they didn't, you can be sure that they learned their lesson, either from those elders or their parents.

What's changed isn't the way old people interact in society today, but, rather, the way young people treat and view old people. Older people should be valued, respected, cherished. They have much to offer and plenty of experience.

Like Mark Twain said, youth is wasted on the young!

lol, if they tell me to " get the hell out of there way" or hit me with their shopping cart cause i happen to be in their space...no..im not going to all that nice to them. If they ask like a mature human being they all want to be seen as, then yes, i'll kindly move. So are you saying that i should just take it, move like the nice youngin', and dont take notice to them being rude?

Everyone should be respected, and cherished.

What i was saying, i dont care how how old you are, if you act like a jackass i'll treat you the same as i would anyone else. Your age doesnt mean you have more right, or that i wont speak my mind to you.

# 18
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/02/2004 12:42 am
Originally posted by I Suffer ...What i was saying, i dont care how how old you are, if you act like a jackass i'll treat you the same as i would anyone else. Your age doesnt mean you have more right, or that i wont speak my mind to you.
I'm 51, and that works for me. The only difference between a young jackass and an old one is that the old ones have likely had more time to perfect it! :D

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 02-01-2004 at 08:04 PM]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.