Marcus Paus

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
11/29/2003 3:43 am
You know, that supposed Guiness World Record of Marcus Paus is a load of crap. I've searched Guiness's online archives thoroughly (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com) and there is NO record for the fastest guitarist. In fact, there are no results for Marcus Paus whatsoever. Unless someone can provide an actual link of the record to Guiness's website or scan the page out of the Guiness World Record book (as a jpeg or gif), it is not true.
# 1
Ego
Ego
12/02/2003 5:45 am
You're right...I meant 16 notes per click not 16th notes...240 clicks per min. x 16 = 3840/60=64nps. But remember it's not to be taken seriously. And if you can honestly listen to any BS and think it was no different or faster than anybody else then you simply don't want to believe it...which is interesting in itself.

Bofatron was just a joke with zero musical validity from the standpoint of mainstream/conventional values. It was just noise -- literally "non-sense", i.e., the guitar played beyond the capacties of "sense." And a whole lot of us used to derive a lot of entertainment and laughter from people who devoted their time and energy in tearing BS down or trying to figure out the "trick." Guitarists are kinda like a herd of sheep -- they all bleet in unison about how unimportant speed is, the importance of taste, restraint, melody, and how they don't care about it but the threads that just go on and on are all about speed, who's the fastest, and how bad the fastest is...but they can't help but gaze in horror like looking at a wreck on the side of the road ;) Bofatron was the most splendid piece of roadkill ever recorded. And they're right! Speed is pointless, totally pointless from the standpoint of music. So why can't guitarists get OVER IT? Ha! People make fools of themselves when they trip over the speed bump.

Many of the old BS demos are still up on the site -- make of them what you will. They sure were fun to make and it sure was fun to play (ironically, few people ever noticed just how *little* speedy playing there was in Bofatron's "music" -- and that's interesting too). Nobody but me knows how it was done or how to do it. And nobody ever will. Some aspects of it were documented in the "blueprints" lessons that a lot of guys on this site have used (and liked a lot) but the decisive aspects are things that can't be reduced to tab or text...There were quite a few novel technical developments in "BS" that have to be taught in person or visually...and despite quite a few BS videos out there nobody was ever able to replicate the feat. One of my little quirks I suppose.

Anyway, those days are long gone and I/we have new fish to fry. Hearing people project about BS used to be fun but now it sounds like a repetitive mantra of the timid and the small.

So long guys. In two weeks I resume recording my Savior Onasis album and there's not even a 32nd note in sight.

http://kronosonic.com

[Edited by Ego on 12-01-2003 at 11:53 PM]
# 2
Ego
Ego
12/02/2003 7:21 am
And if you need a lot faster then give this a spin. I did this well after the BS project was over (which goes to show you that it's like the night of the living dead, it just keeps coming back). Here, the speed is used as a textural effect -- kinda like a sheet or a wall. And, you know, if you're a neo-classical butt rocker then the frame of refrence will be totally lost. The idea of sheets of sound only makes sense to people who listen to albums like Interstellar Space and since I doubt there's another person on this board who has even heard of it then it's all rather pointless to debate the intent.

Anyway, from 2:27-2:32 it goes totally off the scale -- streams of notes on top of notes.

http://www.station185.com/kronoson/kronosonic/Demos_Sounds/Jupiter%20Blues%20by%20Infinite%20Ego.mp3

A good illustration of the sheets of sound is this:

http://www.station185.com/kronoson/kronosonic/Demos_Sounds/Jupiter%20Proximity%20by%20Bofatron.mp3

Again, the above caveat applies.

You guys and your rentless search for "the fastest" and "the record" and all that other *nonsense* ;) ...I don't envy you because you're never going to find what you're looking for. But at least it'll be a good source of entertainment.

[Edited by Ego on 12-02-2003 at 01:28 AM]
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/30/2005 12:44 pm
I just checked out Marcus Paus, have to admit I never of him before this thread. And yes, that is the fastest playing I have ever heard, horrible, but insanely fast. I'm a little suspicious though, I tried to match one of the high notes on my own 24 fret axe and found that it was at least 5 maybe 6 frets higher... does this mean that he was playing on a 7 string? Or did he tune up so high that the strings were on the verge of snapping at all times or... that the track was sped up? I'm interested to know because if the guy could actually play that fast, regardless of how it sounds, that's pretty damn impressive.
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/02/2005 10:51 pm
I'd like to see a video of him playing it...
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
Fretfire
Fretfire
08/04/2005 9:10 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI'd like to see a video of him playing it...

Sorry buddy, There are no video available for Marcus Paus. Even the controversial record he did was removed by Guiness. I e-mailed the Guiness Official 2 years ago asking for it, and they said they dont consider that record to be official because they admitted that there is a mistake in counting the notes-per-second, because their machine counted even the extraenous noises and the blurs created by the distortion and his stacked amp. Marcus Paus refused to play with out his own amp. I wonder whats in it

Anyway here are some videos where Francesco Fareri played some passages of the "Caspersens Secret Fetish" where he played it as FAST as Paus did.
If you want to see that insane handspeed. better check this links, you will see what it looks like to sound and play like that. And if you have that Marcus Paus MP3, Im sure you will recognize those blurry distorted guitar passages and lines from that song. Check this Francesco Fareri cover.

http://www.francescofareri.com/lesson_legatoplaying.mpg

http://www.francescofareri.com/lesson_alternatepicking.mpg
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 6
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/04/2005 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: FretfireSorry buddy, There are no video available for Marcus Paus. Even the controversial record he did was removed by Guiness. I e-mailed the Guiness Official 2 years ago asking for it, and they said they dont consider that record to be official because they admitted that there is a mistake in counting the notes-per-second, because their machine counted even the extraenous noises and the blurs created by the distortion and his stacked amp. Marcus Paus refused to play with out his own amp. I wonder whats in it

Anyway here are some videos where Francesco Fareri played some passages of the "Caspersens Secret Fetish" where he played it as FAST as Paus did.
If you want to see that insane handspeed. better check this links, you will see what it looks like to sound and play like that. And if you have that Marcus Paus MP3, Im sure you will recognize those blurry distorted guitar passages and lines from that song. Check this Francesco Fareri cover.

http://www.francescofareri.com/lesson_legatoplaying.mpg

http://www.francescofareri.com/lesson_alternatepicking.mpg

While I find Fareri very boring in all of his playing, he is very fast and very technical.

Paus was quoted as saying once, "I'm playing so fast the tubes can't reproduce the notes."
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 7
s1625
s1625
09/30/2005 1:15 am
How can anyone take a player like Francesco Fareri seriously? How can anyone look up to that garbage?! I seriously cannot fathom it. His playing is so unemotional, uninteresting, and utterly TASTELESS that I can't believe he even gets recognition. The dude plays fast, great. I jack off fast, and that's basically the same thing, so.. Insane picking speed doesn't make the music better. Fareri is the epitome of wank.
Alright, I'm gonna go practice 64th note picking at 300 BPM now, maybe people will think I'm the greatest guitarist ever.
# 8
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/01/2005 11:27 am
Im not impressed with Francesco Fareri nor I admire his extremely fast playing, In fact the first time I saw that video, I laughed my ass out. I just posted it as a response to the question and to show an example how stupid it was for a guitarplayer to play just for speed and not for music's sake.... Id rather listen to other fast players who knows how to use speed at the right context and if the song permits like Steve Vai, Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine and Petrucci rather than somebody who obviously wanks for speed sake.

Any shred guitarist can play that fast with enough practice but not everyone can create quality music even if they can play that fast, In fact I have to honestly admit, not to brag that I can play that fast when Im tripping with my bandmates :D as well as hundreds of unknown guitarist from the rest of the world, Ive seen players in our community play "Chops from Hell" licks at 64th notes, 290 - 310 BPM just for the fun of showing off and it sounds s#*t . Malmsteen, Angelo or Gilbert can also play that fast IF they WANT to, but they choose not to simply because they know Its utterly tasteless... and they dont want to sound Crap. ;) PEACE brothers!!
# 9
s1625
s1625
10/01/2005 6:47 pm
Hahaha, sweet, somebody who knows what he's talking about ^

Yeah, super fast shredding is really damn boring, but at least there are SOME people who play just as fast as Fareri but actually have a sense of melody..Like Rusty Cooley.

Anyways, here's another Gem from Fareri

http://chopsfromhell.com/fareri6_ex01.mp3

Listen to that BS. It's disgusting. Literally, if Fareri were sitting next to me while I listened to that, I would have kicked him in his teeth, haha. He isn't even a solid player when he's slow, he doesn't flow well and there's fret buzz all over the place. Then when he speeds it up, the decent melody he had going just sounds like a steaming pile of crap.
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 2:59 am
Originally Posted by: FretfireIm not impressed with Francesco Fareri nor I admire his extremely fast playing, In fact the first time I saw that video, I laughed my ass out. I just posted it as a response to the question and to show an example how stupid it was for a guitarplayer to play just for speed and not for music's sake.... Id rather listen to other fast players who knows how to use speed at the right context and if the song permits like Steve Vai, Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine and Petrucci rather than somebody who obviously wanks for speed sake.

Any shred guitarist can play that fast with enough practice but not everyone can create quality music even if they can play that fast, In fact I have to honestly admit, not to brag that I can play that fast when Im tripping with my bandmates :D as well as hundreds of unknown guitarist from the rest of the world, Ive seen players in our community play "Chops from Hell" licks at 64th notes, 290 - 310 BPM just for the fun of showing off and it sounds s#*t . Malmsteen, Angelo or Gilbert can also play that fast IF they WANT to, but they choose not to simply because they know Its utterly tasteless... and they dont want to sound Crap. ;) PEACE brothers!!

Hmm...when citing guitarists who know when to play fast because it's "appropriate," Yngwie Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio should probably not spring to mind.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 11
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/02/2005 11:21 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHmm...when citing guitarists who know when to play fast because it's "appropriate," Yngwie Malmsteen and Michael Angelo Batio should probably not spring to mind.

Ok dude...if you dont like Yngwie or Angelo, lets change it :) , I cant blame others for not liking them because they have a tendency to wank sometimes and harmonic minor scale can be boring if used repeatedly, but I made them an example in comparison with Fareri who doesnt have a sense of melody at all and his only main concern speed, not to mention Im a fan of neo classical so I chose them.

I think Yngwie and Angelo are more quality and better players from that standpoint, atleast they played with "controlled" technique and they combine speed with melody. While Ferari's technique is questionable, his alternate picking is sloppy and hides it with lots of distortion so that we wont hear the unnecessary noises. I wonder if he can play on acoustic guitar which Malmsteen does masterfully both on acoustic or electric.

Ahhh before I forgot, lets replace Malmsteen and Angelo with my other favorite speedsters. SHAWN LANE and AL DIMEOLA will do. I hope you agree with me. ;)
# 12
s1625
s1625
10/02/2005 7:49 pm
I used a program called The Amazing Slow Downer to slow down that mp3 I posted of Fareri..The part that he plays fast is complete BS. It's not even close to the melody he plays slowly..It's just a bunch of string noise and distortion, with a couple of defined notes played in there.

Al Di Meola is incredible, as is Shawn Lane...I'm not much of a neoclassical guy, but Malmsteen is great, and same with George Bellas, who has some of the cleanest sweeping ever, haha.
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 8:46 pm
Originally Posted by: FretfireOk dude...if you dont like Yngwie or Angelo, lets change it :) , I cant blame others for not liking them because they have a tendency to wank sometimes and harmonic minor scale can be boring if used repeatedly, but I made them an example in comparison with Fareri who doesnt have a sense of melody at all and his only main concern speed, not to mention Im a fan of neo classical so I chose them.

I think Yngwie and Angelo are more quality and better players from that standpoint, atleast they played with "controlled" technique and they combine speed with melody. While Ferari's technique is questionable, his alternate picking is sloppy and hides it with lots of distortion so that we wont hear the unnecessary noises. I wonder if he can play on acoustic guitar which Malmsteen does masterfully both on acoustic or electric.

Ahhh before I forgot, lets replace Malmsteen and Angelo with my other favorite speedsters. SHAWN LANE and AL DIMEOLA will do. I hope you agree with me. ;)

Point very well taken. I was referring to that tendency to wank, as you guessed, but now I see your point in comparing them to Fareri. Mainly I was commenting on their existence in a list of people who don't wank for speed's sake, because the two of them (especially Angelo) have been known to do that a lot. Even my favorite comp of Yngwie's (Black Star) quickly becomes a wankfest of epic proportions. That said, he certainly is more interesting to listen to than Fareri.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 14
FireAndIce24
FireAndIce24
10/08/2005 1:23 am
ego...what song of bostforus ( however the **** u spell it ) have fast thing? that jupiter blues song was really slow and the other jupiter song has soo many effect you can't hear anything. Hes total BS unless hes playing without masking it. Anyone of us could put that much chorus and sound that fast.
# 15
Vai_Rocks
Vai_Rocks
11/09/2005 7:40 pm
Originally Posted by: s1625How can anyone take a player like Francesco Fareri seriously? How can anyone look up to that garbage?! I seriously cannot fathom it. His playing is so unemotional, uninteresting, and utterly TASTELESS that I can't believe he even gets recognition. The dude plays fast, great. I jack off fast, and that's basically the same thing, so.. Insane picking speed doesn't make the music better. Fareri is the epitome of wank.
Alright, I'm gonna go practice 64th note picking at 300 BPM now, maybe people will think I'm the greatest guitarist ever.

Noody said that Francesco Fareri is the greatest guitar player ever.. and who'd say it maybe should be shoot to dead... i mean, Fareri has an amazing technique, but thats something that you have to work hard for, maybe for you or for us is just tasteless what he plays but for him is full of emotions.
Just like Yngwie said "If your music sounds good for you.. is just great.. obvously there'll be people that will disagree with it.. but what matters is if you like your music"
And that's it... now... why Yngwie is so ****in famous and Fareri is just almost unknown?
Because Mr. Malmsteen created a new style, a new music.. that is
Obvously you can't compare Yngwie that is a semi-God with Fareri.. but we're talking about technique, cuz Malmsteen as musician and compositor is just uncomparable, just like Steve Vai, or John Petrucci, Satch, Jason Becker, Mr. Buckethead, Paul Gilbert and all those great shreds...
I hope u understand :cool:
[FONT=Century Gothic]"If you play something, try to sound better than the silence"

Marty Friedman[/FONT]
# 16
Vai_Rocks
Vai_Rocks
11/09/2005 7:47 pm
Originally Posted by: s1625How can anyone take a player like Francesco Fareri seriously? How can anyone look up to that garbage?! I seriously cannot fathom it. His playing is so unemotional, uninteresting, and utterly TASTELESS that I can't believe he even gets recognition. The dude plays fast, great. I jack off fast, and that's basically the same thing, so.. Insane picking speed doesn't make the music better. Fareri is the epitome of wank.

Noody said that Francesco Fareri is the greatest guitar player ever.. and who'd say it maybe should be shoot to dead... i mean, Fareri has an amazing technique, but thats something that you have to work hard for, maybe for you or for us is just tasteless what he plays but for him is full of emotions.
Just like Yngwie said "If your music sounds good for you.. is just great.. obvously there'll be people that will disagree with it.. but what matters is if you like your music"
And that's it... now... why Yngwie is so ****in famous and Fareri is just almost unknown?
Because Mr. Malmsteen created a new style, a new music.. that is
Obvously you can't compare Yngwie that is a semi-God with Fareri.. but we're talking about technique, cuz Malmsteen as musician and compositor is just uncomparable, just like Steve Vai, or John Petrucci, Satch, Jason Becker, Mr. Buckethead, Paul Gilbert and all those great shreds...
I hope u understand :cool:
[FONT=Century Gothic]"If you play something, try to sound better than the silence"

Marty Friedman[/FONT]
# 17
Vai_Rocks
Vai_Rocks
11/09/2005 7:50 pm
As i said up there... there's another shred that people doesn't know very well.. that is Buckethead, hes so emotional and at the same time fast and amazing... i've red that he's the 8th fastest shred...
what do u say...

Marty Friedman[/FONT]
# 18
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/09/2005 9:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Vai_RocksAs i said up there... there's another shred that people doesn't know very well.. that is Buckethead, hes so emotional and at the same time fast and amazing... i've red that he's the 8th fastest shred...
what do u say...

Buckethead gets a lot of love around here. His style and skill is so unique and inspirational.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/09/2005 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggBuckethead gets a lot of love around here. His style and skill is so unique and inspirational.

Monsters and Robots is one of my favorite CDs.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.