Marcus Paus

Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 1:22 pm
I keep hearing about this person on these forums and that he can play 466.7 notes per second or something like that. Can some get me the sound file of him playing this fast. I just dont think its possible to play that fast. If this was true then why havnt i heard about him before anywhere ? Also if u put a video of it then maybe that would be better proof as a sound file could be easily speeded up etc.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/27/2003 2:26 pm
Originally posted by Death55
If this was true then why havnt i heard about him before anywhere ?

because speed is (from a certain point on) absolutely uninterresting. we are musicians, not airforce pilots.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/27/2003 4:55 pm
thats what i mean by absolutely uninteresting

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 6:36 pm
Funny stuff.

Anyway, if you want to hear a guitar being played about mid-40s per second and NOT in the typical scale/arp style check this out from our old buddy Bofatron -- the greatest spoof shredder of all time:

http://www.station185.com/kronoson/kronosonic/Demos_Sounds/Hell%20Ride%20Lick%2032nd%20notes%20at%20240%20bpm%20Bofatron%20Sofasaurus.mp3

And this was medium speed for Bofa. Ultimately, he worked his way up to speeds of about 70 notes per second, got bored with it all, and ran off to South America ;) If you dig the avant rock sound of Vernon Reid and his Dolphy-inspired shards of chaos solos then you might appreciate Bofatron.

http://www.station185.com/kronoson/kronosonic/site/bofatron2.htm

http://kronosonic.com
# 4
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 6:40 pm
Oops, my bad, that shard is 64 notes per second.

240 bpm 16th notes if I'm not mistaken.

There used to be an mp3.com page called Bofatron's Specimen Lab and it had quite a few of these licks from 20 notes per second right on up to mid-60s.

[Edited by Ego on 11-27-2003 at 12:44 PM]
# 5
Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 8:22 pm
thats not bad. Why the hell did he quit guitar? He could of beeen really famous if he just got rid of the sloppy playing and tryed to impove on it without losing speed. How do u know about him though ? Do u know him personally ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/27/2003 8:28 pm
Sorry ego, but that is just pure, utter noise. i cant make out ANY notes at all. this can be anything from 7 million notes a second to just droping the guitar down the stairs. i wonder who is able to make out 60 notes a second there. when i tried to shred after like 3 months of play it sounded exactly the same. so i think thats complete nonsense.

# 7
Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 8:50 pm
ahhh, even if that was about 60 notes a second .. i didnt sound good. I'm sure i could make that kind of noise on my guitar just by smashing all the strings. Or as azrael said.. by dropping it down the stairs :)
# 8
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 8:54 pm
You're not supposed to "like it" at all. The Bofatron thing wasn't even about music but only in the way people responded to the purely contingent. It was supposed to be nonsense. If you check out the page it is partially explained. It was a psychology experiment and you'd have to know a whole hell of a lot about the precise kind of psychological theory they were working from to know why "nonsense" was important.

The only thing important about it is that you think it is nonsense and then how you judge it after that. They had a whole box full of hysterical email and whatnot documenting reactions to it.

One would be tempted to think that all reactions to Bofatron would be hostile because it is nonsense but, on the contrary, they found that way more than 50% really liked it with a substantial number of people like you who just thought it was crap. And then there were the extremes (5% on one side and %5 on the other side) who thought Bofatron was (A) the devil himself or (B) a god.

It was all great fun and, like his site says, he's not laughing with you, he's laughing at you. ;)
# 9
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 8:59 pm
And, of course, there were people that didn't laugh at Bofatron at all but I think the joke was definately at their expense.

(A) metal heads
(B) fans of Yngwie (and assorted clones)
(C) older "blues" guys
(D) Emo and grunge

They really had a problem with Bofatron.

And I know that they would have been interested to see that someone with "Death" in their name disliked it ;)

[Edited by Ego on 11-27-2003 at 03:06 PM]
# 10
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 9:16 pm
Wow, this very discussion happened three years ago on this very site over the same exact piece of guitaring

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1103

Now, that's funny.
# 11
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/27/2003 9:33 pm
I just have a question, Why do you guys care so much about others playing? I mean so what if the guy can play fast or whatever, or if he sux and is really sloppy. Stop worrying about the music one guy is making and worry about yours! If you think its bad, then go out there and play it better!! For crying out loud!! It doesn't matter if he's sloppy........ Doesn't matter if he can play fast........ Now that you've heard this, get offline and go play guitar and come up with something better than anything you've heard, then post it here so more people can argue about it!! It's better than actually being one of the ones arguing.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 12
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/27/2003 9:38 pm
well - with that attitude there would hardly be anything to be discussed and we could close that board.

# 13
Ego
Ego
11/27/2003 10:25 pm
Yeah, nothing wrong with talking, discussion, and disagreements at all...I can only play guitar so much before my fingers fall off...

Anyway, another thing with speed (and is there any other topic to get people worked up over?) is the envy fator -- Bofatron used to get slagged hard by a few guys at Guitar.com (the kind of guys who are painfully slave-ish to neo-classical stuff) but, for every person to bash B. he'd get 10 people signing up to his message board begging to be let in on the secret. The best was when the guy who railed the hardest emailed B. on the side and asked for an "exclusive interview" for his web site. LMAO! Publically he had to appear uber-hostile but secretly he really wanted to be able to play at unlimited speeds. :)

I see Bofatron as a riddle and there was no right or wrong answer to the question. You either got it or you didn't. Either way what was interesting was not if you got it or not but why. Some personality types can't solve the riddle except by destroying the riddle itself.

http://kronosonic.com
# 14
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2003 12:09 am
See ur point there! I'm saying there's nothing wrong with that but it just seemed like you guys wer bickering. Wat eva........
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 15
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/29/2003 1:15 am
... aren't you Bofatron, Ego?

Those links are dead...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 16
Ego
Ego
11/29/2003 1:21 am
Oh, yeah, I played all the guitar for all that stuff (sorry, I thought that was obvious -- that's all made specific on the bofatron and ego pages) but the Bofatron deal with a team effort of sorts...so I tend to think of "him" as a separate and real individual -- a kind of obscene excess or alter personality that doesn't get out very often any more...which is too bad. Who was more fun than Bof?

;)

man, my site is down! I suppose it will be back up in a while. It appears that the provider is down.

[Edited by Ego on 11-28-2003 at 07:30 PM]
# 17
JSV
JSV
11/29/2003 1:47 am
...but, for every person to bash B. he'd get 10 people signing up to his message board begging to be let in on...

I don't know which pieces you cats checked out??
After listening to "Hell Ride Lick...", virtually ANY musician with an ear & a feel for the quality of melodic content will find that to be a buch of noise. SURE, in its own respect; it's MUSIC. I'm sure Paganini could've written music(??) like that but chose to retain SOME of his dignity.

"BASHING", I feel, would be a more appropriate term if people were making judgmental comments about the PERSON based on what he chooses to perform/produce. If one voices a comment or an opinion that a PARTICULAR score is not interesting (or what have you), I wouldn't see THAT as "bashing" a player??
(If THAT's what people were doing, I don't think it's fair.)

I heard that "Secret-Mr. Cucumber" (same cats playing?? I dunno'?), but there's obviously content that most experienced musicians would find to possess a redeeming quality, no?? (even though a few vioce-leadings in the faster sections f*q'd w/my lower intestine) These cats are certainly no Grimmies', Daddy-0'. They're like, Reeeal Solid-Senders.

Whatever "gets-yer'-rox'-off"! If more speed proves something to some cats, then it just DOES. The more experienced I became; the less I found SPEED being something that "turned-on" listeners. (Unless they were guitarists vying for a competition, with "something to prove"-!??)
If you plan on selling records, FIRST you must generally determine which audience you plan on ENTERTAINING?

If someone like the BOF-a-nator is playing to break a speed record, he/she has my best wishes, sincerely!

If they're SELLING RECORDS with that stuff'... I'll make my own noise, thank you...

~JSV
# 18
Ego
Ego
11/29/2003 1:53 am
yeah, like we already pointed out, it is and continues to be noise. Thanks for restating the obvious.

# 19
JSV
JSV
11/29/2003 2:22 am
Originally posted by Ego
yeah, like we already pointed out, it is and continues to be noise. Thanks for restating the obvious.

Sorry, my brother. I didn't know the thread was a closed invite??

~JSV
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.