View post (Marcus Paus)

View thread

Ego
Ego
12/02/2003 5:45 am
You're right...I meant 16 notes per click not 16th notes...240 clicks per min. x 16 = 3840/60=64nps. But remember it's not to be taken seriously. And if you can honestly listen to any BS and think it was no different or faster than anybody else then you simply don't want to believe it...which is interesting in itself.

Bofatron was just a joke with zero musical validity from the standpoint of mainstream/conventional values. It was just noise -- literally "non-sense", i.e., the guitar played beyond the capacties of "sense." And a whole lot of us used to derive a lot of entertainment and laughter from people who devoted their time and energy in tearing BS down or trying to figure out the "trick." Guitarists are kinda like a herd of sheep -- they all bleet in unison about how unimportant speed is, the importance of taste, restraint, melody, and how they don't care about it but the threads that just go on and on are all about speed, who's the fastest, and how bad the fastest is...but they can't help but gaze in horror like looking at a wreck on the side of the road ;) Bofatron was the most splendid piece of roadkill ever recorded. And they're right! Speed is pointless, totally pointless from the standpoint of music. So why can't guitarists get OVER IT? Ha! People make fools of themselves when they trip over the speed bump.

Many of the old BS demos are still up on the site -- make of them what you will. They sure were fun to make and it sure was fun to play (ironically, few people ever noticed just how *little* speedy playing there was in Bofatron's "music" -- and that's interesting too). Nobody but me knows how it was done or how to do it. And nobody ever will. Some aspects of it were documented in the "blueprints" lessons that a lot of guys on this site have used (and liked a lot) but the decisive aspects are things that can't be reduced to tab or text...There were quite a few novel technical developments in "BS" that have to be taught in person or visually...and despite quite a few BS videos out there nobody was ever able to replicate the feat. One of my little quirks I suppose.

Anyway, those days are long gone and I/we have new fish to fry. Hearing people project about BS used to be fun but now it sounds like a repetitive mantra of the timid and the small.

So long guys. In two weeks I resume recording my Savior Onasis album and there's not even a 32nd note in sight.

http://kronosonic.com

[Edited by Ego on 12-01-2003 at 11:53 PM]