British People

icecool
icecool
06/16/2003 6:07 pm
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the rest of the world actually thinks of us British, and I thought, what better place to pose my question than the Guitar Tricks Forum!

So...state where you're from and what the general feel is towards the island!
# 1
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
06/16/2003 7:16 pm
Hey dude, I love British music so I can't complain about british people. Think about it, IRON MAIDEN, SABBATH, PRIEST are just a few of the bands that came from Britan
Anyway Im from southern cali and all the good ol' 80's metal heads I know love the british
# 2
Displacer
Displacer
06/17/2003 6:13 am
haha i thought this post was going to be slagging off us brits.

I'm from the UK originally, live in hong kong now.

I didn't like the UK whenever I was there, but I grew up in cities like glasgow and birmingham, last time i went back i headed to liverpool to see a friend, and that was just plain awful.
there are some great places though, unfortunately their are some terrible ones too. but thats like everywhere really.

as for british people i love them, but thats coz i am one hehe :P

# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/17/2003 2:25 pm
Right now I'm not in love with the Brits.The govt.(as well as America's) has put a travel advisory warning people of travelling to Kenya.We're listed as one of the 15 most dangerous destinations in the world.along with countries like(horror)Iraq and Israel and Haiti and Liberia.
Jesus Christ?!?!?
I'm a kenyan living in Kenya,and this advisory is utter crap.They're saying that we're a danger spot because of the potential terrorist threat thar exist here.THAT THREAT EXISTS EVERYWHERE,bloody ****ing!!!
So why I'm I raving?
It's ****ing up out tourism,that's why.And for an industry that earns a developing country 15% of it's GDP,that is something.Not to mention the ripple effect on other sectors.We've finally got us a govt. that is doing things right,and look what we get.
And considering that the arguments being put forward are utter crap,it really is madenning.
The worst terrorist hit to have been carried out in kenya was the 98 Us embassy bombin,in which some 250 people(officialy) died.Then there was the paradise hotel bombing last year at the coast(this attack also targeted an airliner,but it didn't work-both hotel and liner were israeli).Then there was the 1982 bombing of the Norfolk hotel in Nairobi.Just those three events,and suddenly we're what Britain is saying we are.Why didn't they put an advisory on America after sept. 11?Ok,maybe that wasn't really necessary.BUT STILL!!!
You might be thinking that if a country is safe,then you'd visit irrespective of what your govt. says.But the problem is,once an advisory is issued against a given country,then people travelling there do it at their own risk,and are not covered by their insurers.And that's when people chicken out.Plus you don't visit a country coz you sympathise for that country's tourism industry.
I think the American and british govt. are simply being callous about something that might be trivial for them,but isn't trivial for us.But then again,these are govt.s that started a war that the world's majority was opposed to,so I can't expect them to give a **** too much,can I?
Oh,btw(and I don't mean to hijack:eek:terror)your thread icecool,but I heard on CNN that Iran has some fishy nuclear weapons thing going on.Do I hear the hula?Aren't nuclear weapons WMD'?Aren't WMD's why Iraq happened?(Or had to happen).I'm all ears.And does it strike as abit odd Saddam couldn't hide his weapons before the war-coz if he could,America wouldn't have known about it-but after the war,he's hidden them so well?Hmn?Interesting.

[Edited by kingdavid on 06-17-2003 at 09:30 AM]
# 4
MikeP.
MikeP.
06/17/2003 6:52 pm
Yeah I hate that British mentallity too about them hating Americans for the wrong resons. They should hate the govt. NOT THE PEOPLE! Yes I have been to England quite a few times. I also used to live in Spain (My wife is from Madrid) and go back every 6 months or so.

Now on a nicer note. Every British person I have met have been very friendly and helpful to me when I was there. Although when I hear them bashing Americans they just sound so ignoarant to me.....and most of them have never stepped on American soil before. A curiouse thing I have noticed is that some Englanders (Not all) even bash different cities (Or even neighborhoods) of their own.....almost a tribal feel to it. I'm not one to judge that as they understand what they are doing and live it. I suspect it could possibly be for Football (Soccer to us Americans)reasons. But I never questioned it for fear of being rude to them.

Speaking of ignorant: one of my wife's friends (From Spain) Believed the movie "Bowling For Colombine" to be for real and believed everyword she saw from it.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 5
icecool
icecool
06/17/2003 8:10 pm
I'd have to agree that generally, some truly ignorant people here do judge american citizens by what their goverment has done, and I think it is utterly ridiculous. However, it is wrong to say all people here have that mentality.
# 6
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
06/17/2003 9:15 pm
My best friend is british, still has the accent and all. Hes an awesome guitarist, gets me into all these British bands that I've never heard of, and comes up with crazy songs. Hes awesome.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 7
Displacer
Displacer
06/18/2003 2:55 am
Icecool/MikeP

in the words of Sacred Reich

'You can't judge people by the government of their land, their flesh and blood like us, why dont you understand?'

love that song :P rock on!

[Edited by Displacer on 06-17-2003 at 10:00 PM]
# 8
Grub
Grub
06/18/2003 8:39 am
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeP.
[B]Yeah I hate that British mentallity too about them hating Americans for the wrong resons. They should hate the govt. NOT THE PEOPLE! Yes I have been to England quite a few times. I also used to live in Spain (My wife is from Madrid) and go back every 6 months or so.

I'm a Brit of mixed European background and have travelled around the US extensively and had a great time. Some people sucked but generally most were fine, particularly in Chicago. The thing I and many others dont like is 'corporate' America e.g. the anti-environment behaviour of companies like Exxon and the car manufacturers, dominance of big brands, crap TV shows etc. Unfortunately this is the only thing most people know about the US and not the real deal. Excluding MTV and chart crap, the US has given the world the best music e.g. jazz, blues, proper country, bluegrass, cajun, rock n roll..some of the best literature like Kerouac, Steinbeck, Chandler etc and the greatest TV programme in history THE SIMPSONS.

# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2003 11:05 am
Yawn, when will people realize that these shocking generalizations are utterly pointless!

People are people, good or bad and where you are from is totally irrelevant. Something about where you are at not where you are from!

Wake up folks !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/18/2003 12:50 pm
There's good,bad,mean,generous,ignorant,enlightened,everything,nothing folks everywhere in the world.EVERYWHERE.
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2003 2:52 am
The stereotype that alot of Americans have is that the brits are snobby.

I met one that was snobby, total bitch too...

But that's irrelevant, I've met a few brits, very friendly, not as many jerks, it seems.

now Germany, I've a friend who went to Germany, said he got spit on several times by different groups of Germans, they cursed at him "filty american, ignorant, arrogant, stupid" things like that...I believe him, partially because he's not a liar, and partially because there have been many many many anti-american riots in Germany in the past 6 months.

Go figure?

It's a stereotype, though.
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/21/2003 12:30 pm
Yes it is , this type of mindless stereotyping is at the heart of every sort of prejudice, -ist and -isum and for those who are "hard of thinking" that is a bad thing !!!!

Once again we see people tying to reassure them selves with what appear to be easy answers that requires a minimum of thought and provide a minimum of accuracy.....Makes me think of..... Homer Simpson !

I know plenty of Germans who wouldn't dream of spitting on / at any one. I also know Americans who are married to Germans and living in Germany....surprise surprise, no problem their either!

One of the cleverest people I know (and I have met a few) is American. On the other side of the coin an American soccer player once remarked, in conversation, after I had told them I was from the UK, that they thought that my English was very good ! That conversation didn't last very long !

[Edited by Dr_simon on 06-21-2003 at 09:19 AM]
# 13
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
06/21/2003 12:53 pm
Just about everyone I've talked to or met from another country has been very polite and nice to me, and I made sure to return the courtesy. Its like everyone said, people just have these silly stereotypes in their head.
IE; I'm from Canada. The last time I remember using the word "EH?" is a few seconds ago when I wrote this sentence, but its still played on in almost every TV show around thats not made in Canada. (Not that it's not funny or anything.)
Anywhoooo, back to the topic, British people are cool. I dig the different flavours in the accents, and about half my family is from England.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2003 4:48 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon

I know plenty of Germans who wouldn't dream of spitting on / at any one. I also know Americans who are married to Germans and living in Germany....surprise surprise, no problem their either!

[Edited by Dr_simon on 06-21-2003 at 09:19 AM]

Right, what i was trying to get at was the spiral of hate, that's how it starts.

Somehow, somebody gets pissed off, and does something to somebody from a different country. That person then thinks that all people of that country hate him...he tells all his friends, and when his friends go there, they go as big jerks to these people, etc.

I wasn't taking a side, or anything. Just to make it clear.
# 15
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/23/2003 4:03 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
..kenyan people= ok..
:)
And a hot chick by any ethnicity is A-OK w/me.

Ugandan chicks,I'm told,have the best arse known to mankind.
Jlo has a big butt?PUHLEASE!!!
You find time and come around here,you'll see.
And remember that generally speaking,African women are big bodied,you know,buxom and all that.So when an African guy talks of nice butt,there's something to it,or should I say on it:D
# 16
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
06/23/2003 7:43 pm
I'm surprised, I thought it was gonna turn into a slag briton thread. I Live in England now, but i've spent 7 years in scotland, and i think i like it up there more, the poeple are cooler, a bit more eccentric...
British music I've always enjoyed more than american as a whole,but strangly enough my favourite bands are predominantly american...there seems to be greaet music made in the US thas a backlash to the very commercial market in the US... with us it'sless commercial, but this has ment that music that rebels looks pretty irrational. I hope this is making sense...
I'd like to go to the US, cos there seems to be loads of scenes any lay about bohemian student could feel right at home in...
# 17
Gainer
Gainer
06/26/2003 12:48 am
I'm from Canada. British people rock! My (late)grandma was british, from portsmith or somethin'.

I'm wonderin', how do brits come out with such great bands?
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 18
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/26/2003 4:11 am
Hey educatedfilm
We (me and Catherine) are coming back to the UK in the next 12 months or so (have to ship my studio from Iowa, that will be fun !) any how I will be spending a little time in Newcastle when I get back, let me know whereabouts you are and we can hook up for a beer or something !

Later dude
S

# 19
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
06/27/2003 9:17 pm
LOL, that'd be great! Just what time though? CosI'm seriously busy at the mo, as you can probably tell from my sporadic posts... I'm a first year medic, and the mother of all mothers of all mothers of exams is in a month..
But seriously, I'd love to meet and seriously chat with someone who knows their stuff when it comes to recording...
I'm not that clos to Newcastle, but i've got a friend based in North umberland (spelling?) I'd love to at least to chat to some one in the know...
keep me updated mate!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.