View post (British People)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
06/17/2003 2:25 pm
Right now I'm not in love with the Brits.The govt.(as well as America's) has put a travel advisory warning people of travelling to Kenya.We're listed as one of the 15 most dangerous destinations in the world.along with countries like(horror)Iraq and Israel and Haiti and Liberia.
Jesus Christ?!?!?
I'm a kenyan living in Kenya,and this advisory is utter crap.They're saying that we're a danger spot because of the potential terrorist threat thar exist here.THAT THREAT EXISTS EVERYWHERE,bloody ****ing!!!
So why I'm I raving?
It's ****ing up out tourism,that's why.And for an industry that earns a developing country 15% of it's GDP,that is something.Not to mention the ripple effect on other sectors.We've finally got us a govt. that is doing things right,and look what we get.
And considering that the arguments being put forward are utter crap,it really is madenning.
The worst terrorist hit to have been carried out in kenya was the 98 Us embassy bombin,in which some 250 people(officialy) died.Then there was the paradise hotel bombing last year at the coast(this attack also targeted an airliner,but it didn't work-both hotel and liner were israeli).Then there was the 1982 bombing of the Norfolk hotel in Nairobi.Just those three events,and suddenly we're what Britain is saying we are.Why didn't they put an advisory on America after sept. 11?Ok,maybe that wasn't really necessary.BUT STILL!!!
You might be thinking that if a country is safe,then you'd visit irrespective of what your govt. says.But the problem is,once an advisory is issued against a given country,then people travelling there do it at their own risk,and are not covered by their insurers.And that's when people chicken out.Plus you don't visit a country coz you sympathise for that country's tourism industry.
I think the American and british govt. are simply being callous about something that might be trivial for them,but isn't trivial for us.But then again,these are govt.s that started a war that the world's majority was opposed to,so I can't expect them to give a **** too much,can I?
Oh,btw(and I don't mean to hijack:eek:terror)your thread icecool,but I heard on CNN that Iran has some fishy nuclear weapons thing going on.Do I hear the hula?Aren't nuclear weapons WMD'?Aren't WMD's why Iraq happened?(Or had to happen).I'm all ears.And does it strike as abit odd Saddam couldn't hide his weapons before the war-coz if he could,America wouldn't have known about it-but after the war,he's hidden them so well?Hmn?Interesting.

[Edited by kingdavid on 06-17-2003 at 09:30 AM]