British People

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/04/2003 2:59 am
This is what usually happens to long guitartricks threads, and I love it.

:D
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/04/2003 10:24 pm
Our attention spans are only so long.....
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
07/06/2003 12:32 pm
What is it with England and dumping/burning out/abandoning cars? Four things: 1)it costs money to get broken down vehicles to scrap yards. 2)the population density is high and everyone drives (except me it seems. 3)bored criminals who want some fun. 4) Built in bloody obsolescence, things that don't last so you can sell replacements regardless of the environmental cost, pioneered by Henry bloody Ford. But I'm not going to slag Americans for that.
As for my country (Britain, I'm English but live in Scotland)I'd like to get out of it for a while and see something new but there are lots of great people and places here. I'd like to see somewhere with more natural/semi-natural wildlife habitats and warmer countries are generally more biodiverse. I'm mad about wildlife you see, that was my degree, ecology.
I don't like British politics, we're too quick to agree with the Americans about which people to bomb and government taxes are going towards institutions supported by private spending. I don't think that's fair but in the 1980s lots of public utillities were sold off by the previous government so people could line their pockets with them. Now our "public" (private really) transport system is crap and the trains never seem to run on time.
I want to move to Canada cause my brother lives there and I need a change. Canadians seem really friendly to me, perhaps that's partly cause I know the difference between the Canadian and American accents. Canadians seem really pleased when people know they're not American! That said I have known some really great Americans and you guys have tons of great Rock music! You have so many beautiful national parks, I do hope they don't all get dug up for oil by your governing bastards.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/06/2003 1:41 pm
Hey dude, I have a BSc in Ecology also, and I think we (me and Catherine) are the only married couple in the US that doesn’t own a car!

One thing, have you any idea how incredibly cold Canada can be ! I’m from Newcastle and I thought Scotland was cold until I moved to Iowa and Iowa is child’s play compared to Canada! Man, in Scotland the weather can be unpleasant at times but here it will just kill you stony dead ! Don’t think I’m Canada bashing ‘cos I’m not however before jumping in with both feet Id test the water first! My first winter in Iowa (2000) was a really long one with temperatures down to -25oF and it totally blew my mind!

Still, I share a lot of your sentiments and totally get your reasons for wanting to broaden your horizons. Clinton was in power when I moved to the US. And as for that puppet Blare, well Ill never vote Tory! My problem is that at the moment the Torys seam to have crept back into power via the back door by calling them selves Labor and now there is no opposition! Disgusting state of affaires! Schools borrowing money from each other, do me a favor !

(Please not my grumbles are specific and not generalizations!)

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/06/2003 2:18 pm
I live in Canada, and the worst winter I ever saw was -35 celcius and we had an accumulated total of about 9 feet of snow.
But then, it can get just as hot. Just last week it was + 40.
-And it was good
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/06/2003 2:47 pm
I think that at that kind of temperature degrees F and degrees C mean the same thing...its bloody cold!
# 6
u10ajf
u10ajf
07/06/2003 4:57 pm
Dr Simon, you're an ecologist? No wonder we keep agreeing! I guess being from the North East perhaps partly informs your left leanings, after all Thatcher kept closing down the mines and inciting riots.
I know Canada's cold in winter but I want to do a summer work placement at Haliburton forest but they won't get back to me, I've sent them an email and a letter. I thought it was a match made in heaven. I'll keep badgering them. I like lots of Canadian musicians too: esp. Rush but also some Alanis Morisette, Jeff Healey etc. Toronto must have such a cool music scene!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 7
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/06/2003 5:17 pm
Canada's two musical hubs are Toronto and Vancouver, cause they're just above New York and Los Angeles. If a band wants to get discovered, they go to Toronto or Vancouver.
-And it was good
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/06/2003 5:24 pm
I do whey deep cell biology these days though my PhD was in drug delivery! One of these days Ill settle down and decide what I want to do for a living !!!

I thought the Bush Regime had already decided to over turn the Clinton administrations ruling to stop mining / drilling for oil in the national parks, it was one of the first things he did !

I must admit I’m glad he never got to paired up with Maggy T, can you imagine the horror of that union !!!!!

[Edited by Dr_simon on 07-06-2003 at 12:31 PM]
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/07/2003 3:53 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
...my PhD was in drug delivery!...

I had a feeling you're a drug dealer!:D
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/07/2003 7:56 pm
Not exactly, think DNA !
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.