Punk vs. Metal

canuck7
canuck7
02/13/2003 8:19 pm
i was wondering what your thoughts were on punk vs. metal. this thread is about if you think that punk music is better than metal. but i'm trying to be specific here. i'm talking about musical integrity here. like the talent involved in the music.
post your thoughts please!
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2003 11:23 pm
I think metal is way better than punk.
I think that punk music is so.. ..destructive.
They're so mad, I dont like that, its like gangzta-rappers.
I kind of like the hiphop from the mid-80's, when even
the hiphoppers were happy party-people.
Now its just a bunch of people talking about how they
kill 10 people/day and all the drugs they take. Its sad.
I like metal because I think metal is more focused on
music, and punk is more focused on the lyrics.
In punk its often 3 chords played as fast as possible,
but theres nothing wrong with that at all, its just not
my kind of music. I really dont care about what a band
sings about, as long as it sounds good.
The only song that has moved me, so to speak, is
actually Ugly Kid Joe's "Cats in the cradle".

# 2
PanteraSDMF
PanteraSDMF
02/14/2003 7:33 am
I dont mind the destructiveness, often refressing :D lol

But as far as talent goes, metal could kill punk. I've yet to find a punk guitarist that can outplay a metal one...
I dont really like punk because of that, although a lot of punk does send out good messages, whether angry or not.
The closest I get to punk nowadays is CoC. Pepper Keenan is the only good punk guitar I know of. Though now he plays more southern rock/metal then anything...Which I like better...
But I'm gonna end my rant at that

All that has been
All that's to be
No tomorrow
No Demise Of Sanity
# 3
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/14/2003 8:07 am
Metal music is much better than punk music..and will always be. Metal music express the feelings through guitarworks mostly, whereas punk music express feelings through their lyrics. Metal guitarist have wide technique on playing..punks only know how to strum it hard! :D
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 4
sithgt6
sithgt6
02/14/2003 3:03 pm
Apples and oranges man, two completely different things.

Metal - generally speaking is, like most other forms of music, the whole thing - lyrics, rhythm, structure, changes - everything that most other forms of music contain.

Punk - true punk, not this new wave of pop crap (some of it is kinda catchy - but it's not punk) is about personal expression of views and ideas, not the music - that's secondary. Some punk bands are very good musicians and play very well, but for most punk bands the "music" is merely a vehicle to broadcast the message.

Apples and oranges.

D.
# 5
canuck7
canuck7
02/14/2003 4:07 pm
this is all good and well, i like these responses. good opinions you know? i think that it's an interesting comparison. but don't forget nu-metal, such lack of talent there. and of course there is a certain degree of skill involved in punk. i mean, it's not ****ty playing or anything. just not as skilled as metal. there is some **** punk but again i'll remind you of nu-metal. and some other metal is trash too.
but i'm wondering what you describe as punk? some people only mention Sum41(actually pretty good guitar) and Blink182.
what punk bands are you comparing against what metal bands?
# 6
canuck7
canuck7
02/14/2003 4:09 pm
btw,
thanks for mentioning Avril Lavigne aiwass. i don't listen to her but she's totally devoid of bullsh*t. like you said.
coincidentally, she's canadian. had to bring that up, sorry. :)
# 7
sithgt6
sithgt6
02/14/2003 4:37 pm
Punk bands like Dayglo Abortions, Sex Pistols, Circle Jerks, Black Flag - that kind of stuff, old school - the stuff that's not readily available. Not this trendy pop stuff - Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41.

And the Metal - just assumed you were referring to the real stuff like Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, ACDC, Maiden, Priest, Anthrax, the list goes on... the bands that have proven their staying power.

D.
# 8
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/14/2003 6:28 pm
I think a few people have proven here that they have no idea what theyre talking about. Sorry if this sounds harsh, cos I know my opinions no better tahn anyone elses but theres some seriously narrow minded opinions in here.

Metal guitarists tend to be more technically gifted than punk guitarists, in fact 99% of the time they probably are but that doesnt mean they are better musicians. Id put Mick Jones, Joe Strummer, Johnny Ramone ahead of pretty much any metal guitarist cos they were/are great musicians. Not to say alot of metal guitarists arent talented cos they are, but theres alot of snobbery in this thread directed towards punk and its not justified.

And aiwass, the Calling?

Theyre about as far from nu metal or punk as you can get. They is college soft rock or soemthing.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 9
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
02/14/2003 8:23 pm
Metal whole the way. Sad thing though is that metal somehow have killed it self. What I want is real metal a la early Metallica and all those San Francisco bay trashers but all this death, black and even some of power metal have destroyed real metal. Music is mostly very nice at any kind of metal level except black/death where itĀ“s just too much but what botherĀ“s me are those million voices in one song like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody for ex. Cool music but if they just could keep it down to 2-3 voices it would be much better. Blind GuardianĀ“s songs are so too much and at some songs thereĀ“s alway multi voices whole the way. Not a single word with one voice.

The only band who could do that kind of music (lotĀ“s of voices thing) was Queen. But than again, there was only ONE Freddie Mercury. (Best damn singer ever lived)!!!

Punk is crap. Definitly. There are some briht ligts but not many.

BTW, Gangsta Rap is cool man. But the thing they do (so called war) is idiotic.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 10
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/14/2003 9:15 pm
Each genre has its ****ty stuff and good stuff, but only metal has the really great bands.
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/15/2003 8:43 pm
Originally posted by canuck7
thanks for mentioning Avril Lavigne aiwass. i don't listen to her but she's totally devoid of bullsh*t. like you said.

Having a record label dictate the clothes one wears and appoint professional songwriters to compose one's songs then doing really bad SOAD covers doesn't count as bullsh*t?

There's great bands and there's trash in all genres. I've seen some awesome punk and metal bands, and I've seen bad ones. I've seen a lot of great bands take elements from both to forge something new.

Personally, I like to think I have the world's best taste in music because nothing I listen to annoys me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/15/2003 10:41 pm
Well I think the music that everyone listens to doesn't annoy or why would they listen to it?
# 13
canuck7
canuck7
02/16/2003 1:39 pm
yeah man, that's what i'm talking about. what aiwass was saying.
and btw, she chooses her own clothes. small point but just saying. she isn't as poppy as most bands now and she does have some talent. even though i don't listen to her, i still respect her. also, almost every band is bullsh*t then by your definition. almost every band has to conform in at least some way. maybe not in huge way, but some way.
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/17/2003 11:32 pm
I saw Blink 182 open for Primus before they got big, and they were actually decent. The band was solid, and they were entertaining - there was no obvious lack of talant evident. Granted, I haven't heard much of anything they've done since that time that didn't annoy me, but they've come up doing their own thing and have paid their dues.

Avril was made by the record label to fit a certain market, and it's a pop market. If you listen to the album, her stuff is mostly pop with a few punk-flavored pop songs. All of it is annoying in my book, but how does one really get off critisizing Green Day or Blink 182 who've been around for a while, have built up their following, paid their dues and worked for what they've got but not criticising Avril Lavigne who is a creation of a record label?

Does not compute.
Johnny need input.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/17/2003 11:48 pm
Green Day might not be the best punk band there is, but they are entertaining and I don't think they are bull****.
# 16
oldpunker
oldpunker
02/18/2003 12:58 pm
I dont believe in labeling but I'll bite anyway.

Theres no fair comparison to compare Punk and Metal. It is indeed apples and oranges. Besides I think labeling things really sucks, why can't you just hear something that you like and not even bother to label it as punk, metal, nu-metal? The guitarist from Helmet is considered a punk guitarist yet he is a music professor that can seriously shred. Labeling stuff kind of limits you in what you want to do and thats a bad thing when you are a guitarist. Trust me I went through it thinking "oh I can't write this, it's sounds too metal or not punky enough" years ago I learned that labeling stuff only stunts your musical growth.

I know people to this day that hear something and like it and find out it's considered Punk or Thrash and they suddenly decide they don't like it. That's sad.

So to summize. Neither are better than the other IMO.
We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 17
canuck7
canuck7
02/18/2003 1:56 pm
that makes more sense than most of this post.
i mean, it's always good to have a good argument of punkvs.metal but it really is apples and oranges. kind of like rhythm vs. lead guitar. i remember a good thread on that a while ago.
anyways. i digress.
# 18
oldpunker
oldpunker
02/18/2003 3:03 pm
Ahh just my opinion man. Tecnical wise whats considered to be metal is definitely better. OTOH Punk is a lot more diverse in it's forms. Ska, Emo, hardcore, straight edge, poppy, happy etc etc etc.. If I was starting a band any band and was looking for someone who is more skilled at the guitar and had to choose between a punk and a metal guitarist I'd choose Metal. Music wise, I listen to Punk more because of it's content and aggression. I do listen to a lot of Metal also. Pantera, Opeth, Megadeth (pre symphony)
Old Old Metallica, CoC and lots others.

I didn't mean to rant :-)
We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 19
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2003 7:00 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raskolnikov
[B]Blink are just as commercial as Avril Lavigne. Their old stuff was at least funny, but their new stuff is just downright POP, tailored to appeal to all 14 year-old girls around the world. Besides, I think Avril Lavigne has a better voice and better songs than those whiny, nasal punks in Blink. And as for no obvious lack of talent? It's kinda hard to tell when their songs consist of three power chords, innit?

Of course Avril is going to have better songs, the record label hired professional songwriters to write her music, she just writes the lyrics... and honestly, her lyrics do nothing for me, but that's just me. As to a better voice - the one live track I've heard of her is decidedly unimpressive, but weather she was having a bad night or her studio album is heavily "ProTooled" is anybody's guess.

Blink 182 when I saw them live: Rythmically solid, good tone, did some decent medleys, and were good at working the crowd. No screw-ups, tight, and entertaining.

My point is that commercial as they may now be, Blink 182 atleast got where they are by paying their dues and write their own stuff. Avril has done what the label said from the get-go... isn't that something of a double standard?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.