Punk vs. Metal

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/18/2003 10:31 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Lol. This is getting aggressive. The reason I hate Blink 182 so much is that, while they used to make music that was at least humorous

No, they were never funny, and never will be. They have some catchy songs though, but not what id listen to. The drummer is really good though, hes a big Crue fan too so hes cool in my book.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/19/2003 12:03 am
And I'm not expecting realistic arguments against my views now. This is not about realism, this is about artistic integrity, dammit! Of course they can make the money if they want to, but what kind of signal does that send to starving musicians around the world? "Be fake"?

And my point is, that from the perspective of artistic integrity, isn't Avril just as corrupt?
She's gone from saying stuff like "I sit down with a guitar and write songs" and "yeah, I skate" to "I sit down with a guitarist and write songs" and "no, I don't skate, I suck."

It's not like it's a terribly big deal to me, but I see a double standard there.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/20/2003 10:25 pm
Lets end it at this: Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne both have no outstanding talent, and don't deserve airplay on the teletubbie radio station(if there is one).
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2003 12:06 am
Originally posted by metalisbest
Lets end it at this: Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne both have no outstanding talent, and don't deserve airplay on the teletubbie radio station(if there is one).

Actually, the way I see it, Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne keep large portions of humanity that I find generally bothersom from attending the concerts I like to see.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
canuck7
canuck7
02/26/2003 7:23 pm
you can just let those "punks" live in their happy little MTV-oriented world and the guys who listen to real music can rock without getting pissed off with the "punks" who don't know what the **** they are talking about.
people who hate punk because they think it is just Blink182. people who LOVE punk for the same reason. these people just need a different perspective. i really think Blink182 and their fellow pop-punkers should be labelled POP-PUNK and not PUNK. too many people get drawn away from real punk by MTV punk (pop-punk).
i want to see a change. stupid MTV mother****ers.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 5
systemfan
systemfan
02/27/2003 9:00 pm
punk is cool but like that man above said i think punk just strums some chords really fast and they dont really have solos , somtimes they do but not like any metal band that have long drawn out solos. I would have to go with metal .
Thats just my opinion
# 6
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/28/2003 11:14 pm
How bout this new rave of bands like Good Charlotte and New Found Glory? Truly, two of the worst things that I've ever heard. People preach to me that they are the greatest bands ever and are so original and have so much talent, please.
# 7
canuck7
canuck7
03/01/2003 3:54 pm
look, pop-punk is a ****ing terrible standard to put against REAL punk.

bands like Good Charlotte, Blink182, Sum41, and New Found Glory ARE NOT REAL PUNK!!!! THEY ARE POP-PUNK!!!
GET OVER IT OK!!! I'M SO SICK OF HEARING REAL PUNK BEING TRASHED BECAUSE YOU ARE JUDGING POP-PUNK!!!

If you say you hate real punk and than start listing pop punk bands you're wasting your time, ok? i don't care if you hate real punk, but make sure you know what you're hating ok? i like pop-punk, but it's just like easy-listening kind of stuff. not my main listening or anything. but let's start getting our punk straight here ok?

pop-punk and real punk are two different genres. sometimes they overlap a little, but it's normally fairly straightforward.

now, this is one of the best constructive arguments you can have. the subject of punk vs. metal is pretty 50-50 and arguable. but it's pointless if you don't know what you're arguing about. i don't really think that POP-punk has much talent or value. but i'm trying to get people to constructively argue REAL-punk vs. metal. let's get our material straightened out.
# 8
metalisbest
metalisbest
03/03/2003 3:58 am
How 'bout.... I HATE ALL PUNK!

I would have to agree with you on that one.
# 9
canuck7
canuck7
03/03/2003 12:52 pm
ahhhh....that's better. sorry for being stupid about it. but i was getting annoyed with specifics. i don't care if you hate punk, but it just got annoying to hear blink182 suddenly become ALL punk.
# 10
canuck7
canuck7
03/03/2003 12:54 pm
and BTW, punk rock does have soloing in it. blink182 doesn't and neither do all the MTV pop-punk bands because they are trash. but a lot of punk bands regularly put solos into their songs that last more than 20-40 seconds.
# 11
toolfreak001
toolfreak001
03/05/2003 2:57 pm
Music. People forget why people do this. For the MUSIC. People fall in love with music. That's what it's about. It's not about the message, it's not about MTV, it's not about whether or not a band sold out, it's not about whether or not YOU knew the band before they became famous and that makes you a better person/fan because you went to concerts and bought CD's of New Found Glory before they got MTV time, it's about none of this.

What ever happened to sitting around in the dark smokey room jamming with your friends? The mutualistic feel of the music spreading through the band and the crowd? People tend to forget the peace in metal/punk/rock/prog rock/nu metal/ whatever the hell you listen to. People get so obsessed with "what is better" because "this band sold out" or "That band copies a different band" or "this band isn't loud enough, that one doesn't scream enough, that one doesnt' have a message," and on an on and on. People listen to, like, the Dead Kennedy's because their "hardcore" or listen to Slipknot because they "jump around" and the fact that their stage glows with the numbers 666 that makes them badass. Or 'cause a band tunes down 9 and a half steps and drop-d's it, that makes them heavy.

It's about how a band makes you feel and whether you like it or not. Getting caught up in the "politics" of music get's people no where. Everyone needs to go back, pop in a CD, and sit in the dark in a comfortable chair and relax for a couple minutes. Remember why everyone got here and why we do this.

That's what it all comes down to.
# 12
canuck7
canuck7
03/07/2003 3:03 pm
now, that was one of very few things i've ever heard that makes PERFECT sense.
# 13
stratman42
stratman42
03/07/2003 7:40 pm
Yeh, i agree, although i must admit i'm kind of a victim of the politics myself. One of the things that compells me the most about the Manic Street Preachers is their lyrics and political stances, although they are also great musicians. Actually...originally it was half and half... 2 of them wrote lyrics and weren't as good at music, and two wrote music and weren't as good lyricists. I think with bands it should be about just the music, but they become a whole institution too, many of them, with image a vital part of their work. Its all about expression of feelings and opinions, one way or another.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 14
metalisbest
metalisbest
03/10/2003 11:15 pm
Gotta agree with toolfreak.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.