View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2003 7:00 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raskolnikov
[B]Blink are just as commercial as Avril Lavigne. Their old stuff was at least funny, but their new stuff is just downright POP, tailored to appeal to all 14 year-old girls around the world. Besides, I think Avril Lavigne has a better voice and better songs than those whiny, nasal punks in Blink. And as for no obvious lack of talent? It's kinda hard to tell when their songs consist of three power chords, innit?

Of course Avril is going to have better songs, the record label hired professional songwriters to write her music, she just writes the lyrics... and honestly, her lyrics do nothing for me, but that's just me. As to a better voice - the one live track I've heard of her is decidedly unimpressive, but weather she was having a bad night or her studio album is heavily "ProTooled" is anybody's guess.

Blink 182 when I saw them live: Rythmically solid, good tone, did some decent medleys, and were good at working the crowd. No screw-ups, tight, and entertaining.

My point is that commercial as they may now be, Blink 182 atleast got where they are by paying their dues and write their own stuff. Avril has done what the label said from the get-go... isn't that something of a double standard?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons