looking for songs

osmanitellez
osmanitellez
08/18/2020 12:52 am

Hi.

while I love the courses and learning method of guitar tricks I am having a hard time find a song that is interesting to me for learning. does anyody else have this issue or is it. just me?

will you recomend your favorite songs to learn at GT?

I am not attach to any style just that is interesting and fun to learn.

To me the library here is just not interesting enough but maybe I am not looking well or have listen to many of the bands listed here.

wondering what others are thinking and doing.

peace.

# 1
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/18/2020 1:19 am

I agree, here and there there might be a good song or fun to play song but for the most part there seems to be an absence of good material. Even some of the most popular bands like Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Metallica to name a few might have one or no songs I understand getting permission to use a song can be hard but still, it is a little odd.

# 2
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
08/18/2020 9:42 am

I'm on the fence with the song selections myself. I keep waiting with baited fingers for the next song hoping it will be from a guitar legend and then..wah wah.. some piano or pop song interpreted for guitar. Love the teachers and signed up for a year to work on my technique and knowledge but seems like a lot of really core guitar players overlooked (strange for a guitar site) in favour of pop. I assume that's what members are requesting though. Maybe we are just getting old mate.

# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/18/2020 5:41 pm

Hi there,

We make our best effort to grab songs and publish song lessons that appeal to wide number of our users.

Of course, we love feedback so please fill out this form: https://guitartricks.typeform.com/to/rmHzhK

This gives us ideas on what types of songs and artists our users want.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
08/19/2020 8:56 am

Yep been using it thanks. Is there a list of what people request?

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/19/2020 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: osmanitellez

I am having a hard time find a song that is interesting to me for learning. does anyody else have this issue or is it. just me?

Hi and welcome,

this is a tough one. In simple terms - if we don't have songs we want to learn to play - why bother picking up the guitar? So I think songs are really important. And I am not sure if the reason you can't get excited about learning songs is that you don't have any favorite songs you really want to play - that will be a big problem - or if the song catalogue is too old for you and you can't relate to the material offered.

I think there is a definate demographic in mind with the GT song catalogue and fortunately for some (old guys like me) we find a lot of songs we grew up with - but for younger people it may not be as appealing. GT is updating the catalogue but this takes time.

But the internet is a big place, and there are other resources out there to begin learning songs - Ultimate Guitar being one. But almost every song out there has someone on the internet giving a lesson on it. But the question I get from reading your post is "don't you have a favorite song you really want to learn?"

Songs aside, this site can still be useful to you because we need structure regardless of the song or genre and GT can help you with that.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
osmanitellez
osmanitellez
08/19/2020 3:51 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG
Originally Posted by: osmanitellez

I am having a hard time find a song that is interesting to me for learning. does anyody else have this issue or is it. just me?

Hi and welcome,

this is a tough one. In simple terms - if we don't have songs we want to learn to play - why bother picking up the guitar? So I think songs are really important. And I am not sure if the reason you can't get excited about learning songs is that you don't have any favorite songs you really want to play - that will be a big problem - or if the song catalogue is too old for you and you can't relate to the material offered.

I think there is a definate demographic in mind with the GT song catalogue and fortunately for some (old guys like me) we find a lot of songs we grew up with - but for younger people it may not be as appealing. GT is updating the catalogue but this takes time.

But the internet is a big place, and there are other resources out there to begin learning songs - Ultimate Guitar being one. But almost every song out there has someone on the internet giving a lesson on it. But the question I get from reading your post is "don't you have a favorite song you really want to learn?"

Songs aside, this site can still be useful to you because we need structure regardless of the song or genre and GT can help you with that.

Good luck.

hello William.

thanks for your message.

Yes, I was just making a comment about my experience with song catalogue and wanted to share with GT staff and other member. I thought maybe I even get a song suggestion LOL. Just pointing out that finding a song that seems apailing to me is very difficult in the catalogue. I love the Guitar trick lessons and extructure and thought the one thing it could do better is the songs. I also thought some ear training lessons will be nice as well ( not sure if we have here).

Yeah, I like old songs, new songs, it. depends, if the song is good I dig. example.. I could go with How deep is your love Bee Gees, to Karma Police Radiohead, to John Mayer, to Marcus King, to Michael Jackson to Pearl Jam, Oasis. hehehe...I know. I am all over the place but I enjoy them all at different times. anyways. many bands in the catalogue here that I have never listen to here, I try them but not conection so far. still looking.

Yeah, I was doing youtube for songs before but I was trying to stay away from it, a lot people teaching and sometimes many variations and not give you a good notation, but yeah, I can always do that.

I just listen for the first time to Allman Brothers, not sure how come I never heard of them before, love them.

have a nice day everyone.

Peace.

# 7
CFM37
CFM37
08/21/2020 2:14 am

It's really a matter of taste..... and I know I'm probably stating the obvious. Has to be over a hundred songs on GT but maybe 20 I like. So your not alone in that the songs are lacking to a degree. I know GT has issues getting certain artists to allow the music on this site. Way back when Jimi Hendrix's classics were on GT, in the middle of learning "The Wind Cries Mary" the song disappeared. They could not tell you the song was leaving but they hinted. I was livid.

# 8
Scytmo
Scytmo
08/21/2020 10:13 am
Originally Posted by: CFM37

Has to be over a hundred songs on GT but maybe 20 I like.

I just counted (well, I got my computer to do the counting for me), and there appear to be 1045 songs listed here

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/all

That's quite a lot.

Admittedly, these are spread across the whole range of difficulties and genres that GT supports. For example, the 1045 songs break down into difficulty like this:

11: absolute beginner

184: beginner

401: easy

405: intermediate

44: advanced

I haven't looked at how they split across genres.

# 9
CFM37
CFM37
08/22/2020 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: Scytmo

So that's still over a hunderd and really shows lack of song slection.

I just counted (well, I got my computer to do the counting for me), and there appear to be 1045 songs listed here

That's quite a lot.

Admittedly, these are spread across the whole range of difficulties and genres that GT supports. For example, the 1045 songs break down into difficulty like this:

# 10
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/23/2020 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: Scytmo

That's quite a lot.

I hear GT is looking for a data analyst. ;-)

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 11
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
08/24/2020 5:59 pm

Hey all,

It's true that this is largely not something that GuitarTricks can control. It all has to do with which publishers are willing to negotiate, which songs they have available, and if they are even WILLING to license the songs out at all. :) Some songwriters are just very protective of their material and don't want anyone using it, period. Hard to predict!

We have a big interest in having fun popular songs, but also songs with iconic guitar material. So we do our best to get what is available, that users can get enjoy and learn from! And yes, please, always continue to request songs on that form because it helps us know what to look for when there is a choice between A and B. Sometimes we get X artist and can only do 1 or 2 songs from them. So your input on the form is always appreciated.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 12
KLZ39
Full Access
KLZ39
Full Access
08/24/2020 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

It's true that this is largely not something that GuitarTricks can control. It all has to do with which publishers are willing to negotiate, which songs they have available, and if they are even WILLING to license the songs out at all. :) Some songwriters are just very protective of their material and don't want anyone using it, period. Hard to predict!

Now that you mention that, maybe a very dumb question but... do you need permission or copyright stuff to publish a how to play X song?

If thats the case then its more than reasonable that the song catalog is not as big as everyone would wanted it to be but, then how those YT channels or Tab sites with playback features do a huge ammount of song without getting toasted? Or does it only apply because GT its a paid service?

Just some questions to clear the air, because i've seen people complaining about the lack of this or that song in here

# 13
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/24/2020 8:51 pm
Originally Posted by: KLZ39
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Now that you mention that, maybe a very dumb question but... do you need permission or copyright stuff to publish a how to play X song?

If thats the case then its more than reasonable that the song catalog is not as big as everyone would wanted it to be but, then how those YT channels or Tab sites with playback features do a huge ammount of song without getting toasted? Or does it only apply because GT its a paid service?

Just some questions to clear the air, because i've seen people complaining about the lack of this or that song in here

Though I'm not GT staff, I've been around here a good while and the answer is; yes. GT makes sure that artists get paid for their work and publishing. It is a long and arduous process and even take a few dollars just to get the ok to do the song. It's not easy but GT will only publish songs that have the legal clearance to do so.

What about YouTube? Watch the bigger channels (like Rick Beato's) and you'll often hear about blocker or being demonitized. You might find a video of Joe Bob in his basement with 43 views and that might still be up for a Beatles song but the bigger channels get hit with either getting the video demonitized or for those that won't allow anything, it gets pulled down.

Beato says that he totally fine with revenue going to the artist since they should be paid for their work. He gets frustrated with those that block content that could be useful to educate users.

Back to the initial question; yes it is because of getting the rights.

I hope that helps explain the whole messy deal.

# 14
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/24/2020 11:47 pm

Does modern pop music get recorded using guitars?!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 15
Carl King
Carl King
08/26/2020 6:59 am

Seems Jeff answered the question pretty well.

Publishers / Copyright Holders have the right to have content blocked on YouTube. I've posted some stuff on my own channel that had some bits of copyrighted music here or there, and I pretty quickly get a notice. Sometimes it gets blocked / taken down, and sometimes the publishers are fine with it. Hard to predict, because it's up to them.

By the way, there are companies who specialize in sniffing out where copyright music is used without permission on YouTube and alerting the owners. I also recently had some music playing in the background when I was live streaming on YouTube and it canceled my stream. So the algorithms are getting pretty good these days!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 16
KLZ39
Full Access
KLZ39
Full Access
08/26/2020 3:50 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Back to the initial question; yes it is because of getting the rights.

[/quote]

[quote=Carl King]

Sometimes it gets blocked / taken down, and sometimes the publishers are fine with it. Hard to predict, because it's up to them.

Thank you both for the anwser, i want sure how that worked.

I thought that unless you use the actual song as baking track ou could just play/teach without any issue but i see its more complex than that

And i can see why requesting a obscure song will probably wont worth the effort to get over a really popular one

# 17
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
08/26/2020 4:00 pm

I am a member since ten years, and not one of my suggestions came through. Filling in the song request has no use at all.

I also feel there's a lack of quality new songs.

I do love Guitar Tricks for songs in the catalogue, cause there are many nice and beautiful songs to be found there, and I find the way songs are teached the BEST in the world, as explanation is detailed and at a slow tempo. But I am so missing good new song lesson releases ... having to wait or not getting permission cannot be an explanation, as if you compare to for example Lick Library does so many dvd's with song lessons : good songs!! Sadly enough, these lessons are not as detailed and to my feel, they're not taught in the same way as Guitar Tricks does.

Ricky

# 18
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
08/26/2020 8:56 pm

"Lick Library does so many dvd's with song lessons : good songs!! Sadly enough, these lessons are not as detailed and to my feel, they're not taught in the same way as Guitar Tricks does."

For me this says it all. There are plenty of youtube posts and other sites that give you approximate renditions of songs. I think they get around the copywrite issues by giving you an "interpretation". I have used some youtube lessons for a few songs, in my opinion they've been okay, but nowhere as good as GT.

As to suiting all tastes, it's difficult for sure. My step-son likes his death metal. He doesn't like "old stuff". But he is a learner. So....surprise surprise.....there isn't a lot of death metal on GT.....and the stuff he wants to play is a million miles an hour and not necessarily doable as a learner.

Can't please everyone.

# 19
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
08/27/2020 1:42 am

That's a good point. You can't please everyone and there should be variety.However..I agree with the fact that there are a lot of excellent guitar based performers/bands overlooked in favour of 'interpreted for guitar' etc. I'm gonna hang in there for a year though and see how it goes. Lick Library have some excellent Hendrix, Neil Young, Stones etc etc DVDs...would recommend them highly as a supplement to GT.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.