looking for songs

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/27/2020 3:21 pm

I'd add this as a final to the thread; learn something you wouldn't normally think of as a song you want to learn. My thing lately with my vastloy underused GT membership is scrolling through the song list to pull up a song I'd never think of a learn stuff from it. I mean, I'm not going in depth to learn ever detail of the song. But stretching my vocabulary.

I wouldn't follow my example specifically because there is much value in learning a full song and how it's structured and all but the idea is still there; stretch your musical skills by taking on something you wouldn't normally learn.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
08/27/2020 7:33 pm

In my observation the primary issue with most people doing anything requiring persistance over an extended period of time is sustaining motivation. This should be self-evident in the number of "this is my 'n' th attempt to learn guitar" user intros here and on pretty much every learning site.

"Learning songs" is the active learning key to maintaining interest and motivation echoed unanimously by instructors on every learning site and those who have been there and 'can do' whose channels I frequent. I agree 100%, so that learning songs is my personal primary daily learning activity. It is the perpetual enthusiasm driver for active learning of everything else including repetitious scale work & theory I consider supportively subservient to that primary objective.

But, there's always a but, even for the disciplined the surest way to kill motivation in my view, certainly in the first few difficult years of learning, is to pursue that methodology with songs holding absolutely zero appeal to you as an individual and in which you have absolutely no interest in learning and so won't apply yourself with the necessary passion required to overcome the challenges.

So play songs you love and really, really want to learn to play. Everything else will follow. But what to do when they're not here?

Confronted by the 'can't' obtain the necessary licencing objection, my resolution has been to seek out quality song tutes elsewhere if what you want to play can't be found here. They're out there, not only on You Tube which is notorious for its copyright blocking alogarithms even of interpretations, but also legit on alternative pro sites. Seek, and ye shall find. The Gods help those who help themselves.

# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/27/2020 8:13 pm
Originally Posted by: KLZ39
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Back to the initial question; yes it is because of getting the rights.

Thank you both for the anwser, i want sure how that worked.

I thought that unless you use the actual song as baking track ou could just play/teach without any issue but i see its more complex than that

And i can see why requesting a obscure song will probably wont worth the effort to get over a really popular one

I'll just add one thing -- I did a String Quintet version of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Theme on YouTube and it got flagged by the copyright owners. So they are quite good at even finding cover songs that are totally redone even in a completely different style. Same with my Faith No More cover although that one was very similiar to the original.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
jusroc777
jusroc777
08/28/2020 12:11 am

Yes. I would say that for many big artists, many of the most popular and most loved songs are now not included.

I undstand that Guitar tricks may be going for the songs that others haven't covered.

however, i would say that you need both, to include the songs that are covered by others as well as the less popular ones that aren't covered.

I certainly would say that Guitar tricks needs to include the top songs of each artist.

I.e. The songs that each artist is most known for, as learning their less popular songs, and arguabley lesss well written songs, isn't as much of a thrill and perhaps the will isn't there from the learner.

Surely a factor that is going to effect your ability to keep your punters interested and subscribed.

I will say however, if people are The Who fans, presently you have a good list of the Who songs listed, which i am impressed with, although even among this list there are a few songs that have been omitted, including songs such as "pictures of Lily" which aruably help make the Who famous by being an early mod psychedelic rock anthem for the era. One or two other songs i think also are missing, but other than that, a fair number are present.

That is what i would expect for all the most known artists.

Thanks

# 4
jusroc777
jusroc777
08/28/2020 12:32 am

Just a quick comment with regards to known blockers.

I note the people who are blocking are more often than not

people who work for the record companies and people who have inherited

the rights to the songs rather than the original artists.

Some of the artists who's record companies have got

youtube learn to play tutorials blocked are as follows:

Guns n Roses

Jimi Hendrix

Black Sabatth

Iron Maiden

The Eagles

Shame, as i am sure Jimi Hendrix would be made up for how much people love him and his music, as well as many of the artists who's work are owned or at least managed by their record companies.

People forget however, music business is a business, and a volitile if not ruthless one at that.

I would say it is as ruthless as drug dealing, the main difference between the two is that those in the music business also have the percieved credibility that allows them to use lawyers.

Ironic really, like pirate junkies suing people for drawing a picture of their boat without their permission....

I personally know of a intelectual and creative works copyright protection agency that is owned by people who i know are personally involved in stealing intellectual and creative copyright works from people who haven't "made it yet", i know they are stealing peoples work as they have stolen my work, this is the perverse nature of many of the people who work in the industry.

The Ultimate confidence fraud, like a bent police man who arrests a person to confiscate their music computers in order to steal the contents of them, not just any MUSO...

# 5
Herman10
Herman10
08/28/2020 12:41 am

According to American law the copyright stands till 70 years after an author died, so we only have to wait 20 more years before Jimmy's songs will all be free

PS don't know if we are still going to be alive the day that happens hmm

# 6
CFM37
CFM37
09/08/2020 12:09 am

As mentioned before Lick Libiary is an excellent choice for learning many of the songs that can't be found here. Including Hendrix and others. Now they have Classic Albums series, where the entire album is covered, as in Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Wait for reduced prices. A few weeks ago they were on sale for $15.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.