Recommendatios for audio interface

da_teach
da_teach
08/12/2020 11:13 pm

Hello everybody

I am looking for recommendations about audio interfaces to play with my guitar. Got to confess I am a newby and I've been playing for about a year. I now I have made some great progress and now I want to try something different

What could you recommend considering I am not a PRO player but I want to have some fun

Thanks in advanced

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/13/2020 2:41 pm

do you want us to respond to this post or the one in the "Recording" subforum? You are probably, unfortunately, going to get responses in both locations so youre going to have to follow in both.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 9:45 am

Can somebody please explain to me what the hell all of these creepy AI generated messages are doing in this forum. They usually aren't hawking anything so they can't really be construed as spammers. What could possibly motivate someone to post so many pointless and often idiotic replies? I just don't get it.

Sascha

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/06/2023 1:34 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Can somebody please explain to me what the hell all of these creepy AI generated messages are doing in this forum. They usually aren't hawking anything so they can't really be construed as spammers. What could possibly motivate someone to post so many pointless and often idiotic replies? I just don't get it.

Sascha

Been this way for a while Sascha only now it’s getting progressively worse with the advent of AI which is why I’ve been holding back and questioning my resubscription. I’ve even suggested in another thread that GT could easily fix this problem by blocking all non full subscribers from the forum,  but apparently they think they can do it in other ways. Every time they make modifications to the site it seems to get worse. It’s a shame as I enjoy reading and interacting in the forum  as much as playing guitar itself but I even had my original email address hacked from clicking on a post written in what I think was a Mongolian language. I should have known better to click on it but curiosity got the best of me and soon after that my email address was getting hundreds of emails a day from Mongolia so be careful of those. They remove them quickly but they still do appear from time to time. 

Its a shame what this forum has become. 

Moe

Happy safe surfing. 

edited
# 4
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Moe. And for the warning. My condolences about the Mongolian mail dumping fiasco. Were you able to do anything to stop those emails or at least filter them out automatically?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who sits in front of my computer screen with a guitar in my lap, reading and answering forum posts instead of practicing.. I'm doing it right now. I too enjoy interacting in this forum. I figure that as long as there are still people like you reaching out to communicate in an honest and personal way, then it's still worth putting up with the hassles caused by so many senseless (and sometimes malicious) AI posts.

I'd hate to see you go but if you do, I completely understand.

Sascha

# 5
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/06/2023 3:17 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Thanks for the info, Moe. And for the warning. My condolences about the Mongolian mail dumping fiasco. Were you able to do anything to stop those emails or at least filter them out automatically?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who sits in front of my computer screen with a guitar in my lap, reading and answering forum posts instead of practicing.. I'm doing it right now. I too enjoy interacting in this forum. I figure that as long as there are still people like you reaching out to communicate in an honest and personal way, then it's still worth putting up with the hassles caused by so many senseless (and sometimes malicious) AI posts.

I'd hate to see you go but if you do, I completely understand.

Sascha

Thanks Sascha, 

No the usual response from my internet provider ( Comcast) was forward the message to their spam collection address and they will block the sender but the problem is once one gets created it’s a cascading effect and there were too many to fight off. I literally got like 900 emails in under an hour. I had to change addresses which was a pain. I can’t say with 100% certainty it came from this site but it started pretty soon after clicking on that thread so carefull what you respond to on this site, especially in the open discussion page. 

Moe 

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 3:18 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: da_teach

Hello everybody

I am looking for recommendations about audio interfaces to play with my guitar. Got to confess I am a newby and I've been playing for about a year. I now I have made some great progress and now I want to try something different

What could you recommend considering I am not a PRO player but I want to have some fun

Thanks in advanced

Hey da_teach,

It's easy to get burned out on a steady diet of tedious tutorials. I'd recommend going to the song library and finding some easy songs to play. Lots of them are written to be played with just a few repeating chords. Nothing makes me happier than really ripping into a guitar and scaring my pets with awful crooning šŸ¤©

Sascha

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/06/2023 6:03 pm

Re: AI-generated posts and worse

I try to keep calm and carry on.  I distinguish between the AI-generated posts and those with spam.  The AI posts are usually innocuous and harmless and do very little more than get in the way of reading a thread.  Those posts with spam links, in or outside the text, are something more insidious.  They mostly are advertisements with no compensation going to GT but, on occasion, the posted url's can lead to some nasty links to include hacking threats.

I generally swallow and let the AI crap go but I report the spam posts to Admin.  Most times they are very quick to remove the offending posts.  Between me and them, we're up to about 1000 removed since the cleansing effort started a few years ago.

There are a couple things GT members could do to help.  One, too often (for me) members will reply to a post and in that reply the same spam link is posted yet again.  Some care and/or judicious editing would correct that faux pas.  The other thing that would help is to report a spam post.  I've made that suggestion before to those that have complained about the spam. but some have responded, 'Thank you for your efforts but it's not my job to report the spam.'  Tsk!

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 7:24 pm

It's definitely everyone's job to chip in and report this stuff. We're supposed to be a community and we have to approach this as a neighborhood crime watch. It literally takes only about 20 to 30 seconds to report an offender to Admin?

I understand why the spammers and the malicious hackers do it, but I remain perplexed about the benign AI messages. Perplexed as to WHY anybody would waste their time posting meaningless messages to unfamiliar message boards and forums?

I'm also very curious as to how this is actually being perpetrated. Do you suppose it leads back to just a few bored individuals who constantly change their identities and site profiles for the purpose of posting on silly message then immediately getting tossed. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat....

Or has someone perhaps directed a semi-autonomous AI computer to carry out the monotonous task on designated sites?. Or could it be a fully autonomous AI computer that can sniffs out forums and message boards independently, then autonomously apply for whatever membership status is needed to start peppering sites with garbage posts? Perhaps then moving on to another site after a certain amount of time?

It seems akin to somebody investing a lot of time into building from scratch, a "Roomba" that has no vacuum. Then setting it loose in the neighborhood to invade homes and accomplish absolutely nothing more than bumping into things for a few hours before leaving the residence and searching for the next open door? Which brings me back to my original question: WHY would anybody do that? It accomplishes nothing for anyone, not even the creator of the gadget. Even as a practical joke it's pretty lame.

Oh hell, I think that I've just watched far too many "Matrix" and "Terminator" movies.

Sascha

# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/06/2023 7:48 pm

Precisely.  'Perplexed' is a good word choice... given what the AI-generated posts say/contribute or benefit the poster... why?  As to the 'how'... I dunno,.

And I just learned one can no longer quote just part of a post, it's either all or nothing.  So my criticism above about replying/quoting a post with its spam link intact should be read with less sting.  

P.S. edit:  within 15 minutes of my post above, I reported another nine spam posts.  Over time I've noted three things about the spam; one, most are posted during the U.S. nighttime implying an out-of-U.S. origin and two, there appears to be 'favorite' nights, e.g., Sunday.  Finally, the spammers really favor old threads.

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 10
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/07/2023 7:45 am

We thank you for your service to the forum, john šŸ‘Ø‍šŸ‘©‍šŸ‘§‍šŸ‘¦ - I'll try to pitch in more from now on.

I was gone for about a year and recently returned to find (as you did) that members can no longer quote selectively in replying to a post. That's pretty strange since selective quoting was a very useful feature that didn't seem to cause Admin any headaches the way direct messaging did.

# 11
noahharold42
noahharold42
11/13/2023 3:57 am

Hello! That's great to hear that you're looking to explore new possibilities with your guitar playing. As a beginner, it's always exciting to try out new equipment. For audio interfaces, I would recommend checking out options like Focusrite Scarlett Solo or PreSonus AudioBox. These are popular choices among beginners and offer good quality for the price. Remember to also consider your budget and any specific features you may want. Have fun experimenting with your guitar and enjoy the journey! 

rice purity test discover your naivety

# 12
celinedioncdc1
celinedioncdc1
11/17/2023 2:39 am

The PreSonus AudioBox USB is a straightforward and reliable choice for beginners as you. It provides two inputs (one for your guitar and another for vocals or another instrument) and comes with Studio One Artist recording software.

mapquest

# 13
KylaKoppy
KylaKoppy
01/19/2024 5:23 am

The Scarlett Solo is a popular choice for beginners. It's a simple, compact interface with a single input for your guitar or microphone. It offers good audio quality and is known for its ease of use.

The PreSonus AudioBox USB is another entry-level option that provides good sound quality. It comes with two inputs, suitable for guitar and vocals, making it versatile for different recording scenarios.

# 14
tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
01/23/2024 11:40 pm

I use an IK MultiMedia AXE I/O and it's great but a little pricey (when I bought it, they threw in all of AmpliTube 5 for $50- a $250 discount so that helped). If you don't know much about USB interfaces I made a video about getting started with AT5 but that link has the time stamp for where I talk about USB interfaces and go through all the features you should consider. 

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.