View post (Recommendatios for audio interface)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/06/2023 6:03 pm

Re: AI-generated posts and worse

I try to keep calm and carry on.  I distinguish between the AI-generated posts and those with spam.  The AI posts are usually innocuous and harmless and do very little more than get in the way of reading a thread.  Those posts with spam links, in or outside the text, are something more insidious.  They mostly are advertisements with no compensation going to GT but, on occasion, the posted url's can lead to some nasty links to include hacking threats.

I generally swallow and let the AI crap go but I report the spam posts to Admin.  Most times they are very quick to remove the offending posts.  Between me and them, we're up to about 1000 removed since the cleansing effort started a few years ago.

There are a couple things GT members could do to help.  One, too often (for me) members will reply to a post and in that reply the same spam link is posted yet again.  Some care and/or judicious editing would correct that faux pas.  The other thing that would help is to report a spam post.  I've made that suggestion before to those that have complained about the spam. but some have responded, 'Thank you for your efforts but it's not my job to report the spam.'  Tsk!

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins