What kind of guitar do you have?

Joseph
Joseph
01/08/2001 4:42 am
I have several different acoustic guitars, (I guess you can never have too many heh), but with all of the top name brands that Ive acquired over the past several years: Yamaha, Fender, Gibson, I always tend to go back to my no name 1988 acoustic, I guess its just very comfortable and for the most part very reliable... (Its my recording guitar, whenever those ideas come out of no one, I guess I like it because I'm so used to its sound, and smell.) Don't be a snob when it comes to acoustics...I have this 1950 Yamaha Nylon string guitar, it has a beautiful sound to it, it plays like brand new. Since I learned how to play guitar on this model, I always seem to go back to it when in doubt. Before I familiarized myself with a guitar pick, I concentrated very religiously on playing finger style, the combination of boith my right and left hands. Its a very natural feel, and throughout everything, (playing the guitar should should be a very natural experience.)

I have an Ibanez electric, A Peavey Raptor, A Jackson, but my favorite would have to be my Fender Stratocaster. I love to sit back and play for hours without any interuptions and without any prohibitations. With the strat I can just rely on my natural instincts where I dont have to tie myself down to just one particular style. Next is a PRS, if only I could pry my wallet open with that darn crow bar, ohh but I'm almost there.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/08/2001 6:19 am
Fender Std. Strat (maple neck)
Fender Std. Strat (rosewood neck)
Fender Std. Telecaster (maple neck)
Epiphone Std. Les Paul
Epiphone 335 Deluxe Dot
Takamine G330 Acoustic
Yamaha CG101MS Classical guitar

My amp is a Carvin SX-100.
# 2
Guitonne
Guitonne
01/11/2001 9:58 am
Jackson PS2, zoom505, Crate GX15R :D
# 3
Alex
Alex
01/23/2001 7:55 pm
hey Fretmeister, i have a LP studio also, and i am thinking about trading it in towards a LP Standard. what do you think about that?

# 4
Robbie10000
Robbie10000
01/24/2001 3:02 am
i gotta cheezy harmony electric strat, a washburn 4 string bass, a lotus mini strat, and a 30 year old ovation electric/accustic.. i dont have much of an amp ( crate 15 watter ) which i dont use.. its a piece of crap unless your playin in the dead of night.. eventhen its not very goood.. so i run my effects pedels (washburn eq, & flanger , crybaby wah wah, dod phasor, and a memphis distortion) through a jvc 600 watt stereo with 2 12 inch jbl subs and 2 10 inch pulse subs....... any have a more wacked out setup?!

# 5
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
01/24/2001 6:05 am
Originally posted by ksisson
If I could go back to the 7 string debate for a sec...

I wield an American Standard Fender Stratocaster w/ the standard tremelo - you cannot detune the standard trem w/out taking the other 5 strings! I wish I knew about this when I bought it 'cause now when my strings get close to changing time, I never gig without my Peavey T-60 as back up for fear of when a string breaks, it all goes out of tune!

Hey about the going out of tune, that's because your tremolo springs are too tight. You could take a screwdriver and loosen them until it doesnt go out of tune, or take off two of the springs, so there's only three. The tremolo springs' tension is supposed to equal the tension of your strings so you can use the bar without going out of tune.

Atomic
# 6
guitrplyr64
guitrplyr64
01/24/2001 8:01 am
Here's one I haven't seen yet..
My main axe is a 15 yr. old Schecter. Also on occasion, I play a Epi 335, Fender Lead III, or an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe. Hoping to add a PRS or a Godin someday.
# 7
eddy b
eddy b
01/24/2001 8:15 pm
I rock out with a Jackson Stealth, but has any one got any good ideas for setting up to play fast thrash/metal?

EB
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/01/2001 8:35 am
Originally posted by AtomicMassUnit
Hey about the going out of tune, that's because your tremolo springs are too tight. You could take a screwdriver and loosen them until it doesnt go out of tune, or take off two of the springs, so there's only three. The tremolo springs' tension is supposed to equal the tension of your strings so you can use the bar without going out of tune.

Atomic [/B]

Actually, if you don't mind having no pull up-
loosen all the screws that hold the "top" of your bridge to the block about a quarter of a turn, then tigten the springs down until the bridge sits flush with the body. Therefore, when strings break, the bridge can't move and your guitar won't go out of tune. It also makes drastic tuning changes alot easier.
This by the way is how SRV had his strats set up.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/06/2001 3:22 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov

.....tighten the springs down until the bridge sits flush with the body. Therefore, when strings break, the bridge can't move and your guitar won't go out of tune. It also makes drastic tuning changes alot easier.
This by the way is how SRV had his strats set up.

*And thatz EXACTLY how the V setz up his Floyd Rose axes :D....(Good advise, dude :) )....Also, this makes it nice if ya wanna try out some different gauge strings (like Hybrid slinkys, Gotta love that .46 on the low E :D)...Ya don't have to set the guitar back up each time you experiment...
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 10
Steveman112
Steveman112
02/06/2001 5:34 pm
Me...I got a Harmony strat cream colored {it is my fav. so dont laugh}a Fender StratU.S.A a Rouge LX.200 Epi. S.G. and like 3 crap guitars.A ZOOM 505 508 504 I think.Peavy bandit 112 and A old marshall.
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/06/2001 8:03 pm
I've got pile of receipts 'This Deep' from all the amps and guitars that have come and gone over the last 33 years, but here's what I have at the moment:

Peavey Rockmaster tube pre-amp
Ampeg VT-22 2x12 combo (tubes)
Gallian-Kreuger Backline 100 1x12 combo (transistors)
Garnet 410 cabs (2 of 'em)

Daijon 12-string acoustic w/Shadow bridge p/u
Wshburn EA20MTS 6-string electric/acoustic
Washburn A-20 (weird-looking beast)
Yamaha SBG-1000 (double cutaway Les Paul copy)

Plus the usual assortment of stompboxes 'n such, and a Samson wireless that I don't use very often, 'cause I get tangled up by the delay it causes.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/06/2001 11:58 pm
*I just picked this baby up 2 days ago and wanted to show it off...I can't find it anywhere on the Squire Web site or any brochures...It "appears" to be a hybrid of the Standard and stagemaster series....Out the door with gig bag and tax for $304.00 !!! The neck is OUTRAGOUS and FAST !!!! The humbuckers are muddy and grunge type....This guitar LOVES semi-heavy stringz....I've got a .46 on the low E right now and if ya de-tune it, Zak Wylde will personally come to your house and ask for your autograff !!! :D:D:D....

*This is a Squire "Stagemaster", but ALSO says "Standard Series" (in small letters) on the very top ( Notice the rosewood fretboard w/22 frets !! YES !!! )....Floyd Rose with angled fine tuners and 2 knob config. rounds it out...I'm gonna throw some Sperzels on it and that should do it .......

[Edited by LEEtheV on 02-06-2001 at 07:16 PM]
# 13
joguitar
joguitar
02/13/2001 8:59 am
Ok, I'm new here but I've made a few bucks playing guitar in my day. I fancy myself an acoustic player first so we start with:

1990 Martin M2C-28 custom double cut-away (contest prize at Nat'l Flatpicking championship) My recording guitar.

1989 Harry Miller Bohanon Pre-war Herringbone copy (another contest prize but I didn't win this one) My "banjo" killer.

Seagull Concert model. Loudest "small" acoustic I've ever heard. 'Never leave home without one!

Electrics-
2 mid 90's G&L ASAT's with the big "soapbar" pu's. These are my bread/butter guitars. With 5-way switch and sometimes a "Hipshot" B-bender. I love these guys!

1990 Blue American Standard Tele with SD "antiquity" pu's. Strung with 5 strings for "Stones" covers.

1999 Epiphone Sorrento with Bigsby. Not a high quality guitar but very cool for Rockabilly riffs, cheap!

2000 Danelectro Baritone. Sometimes, you just gotta have a "bari" track and this one works for me! Good for the money.

1994 Optek Strat. This is a unique "training" guitar with LED's that light in the neck to show you scales, chords and most anything you'd find in a book on guitar theory. I started getting "real" professional work after some serious practicing with this.

2000 Jay Turser Strat w/Roland GK-2A MIDI pu. 'Got this for my synth stuff and was floored by the features and quality, for an asian import. I sold my American Standard and now use it whenever I need a Strat sound.

Banjo-
Ok, I gotta throw this in because it was my uncle's 1964 Gibson RB-100 5-string. It's paid more than a few bills and I really don't even know how to play it very well?

Amps-
1952 Fender Deluxe TV front. 'Gotta have one of these! Simple, soulful and just plain cool. When my head can't handle the overload of "Multi-effect" units, pedals, reverb and all of that stuff, I plug in my Tele/ASAT and return to a time when life was simple and amps were built for accordians. The spirit of this amp lives in almost every "great" amp out there today!

1996 Matchless DC-30. The best amp I've ever used and I swear that I get gigs/sessions more because of it than my playing! Again, very simple controls but complex tone! Go figure?

2000 Line6 POD. This is great for "direct" recording stuff and I think it would be cool for live work with a little re-learning about things? You see, it takes a completely diferent type of amplifier to use one of these on stage than a guitar amp. You need a full-range monitor, keyboard/bass amp or anything but a guitar amp. 'Gotta get inside via MIDI and tweak things but it will deliver awesome tones.

My stuff fits me. What fits you may be completely different. One thing for sure, you never learn EVERYTHING about guitar and the possibilities are endless. Gear is cool and sometimes the right piece at the right time will inspire us to perform in new and exciting ways. Find that "mojo" without the "new gear" and you'll have a lot more marital bliss and more money in the bank.

Now, who has a '59 Les Paul Goldtop for sale? Mint!

Cheers, joe

# 14
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/14/2001 3:33 am
*CURRENTLY (They change from time to time...) the V stable includes:
*Dark red Mexican Strat - Floyd rose (top and bottom), CUSTOM 22 fret Warmoth Bros. neck, Tex Mex on the neck, Sperzels - USED FOR HARD STEADY ROCK RHYTHM
*Dark red Mexican Strat - Stock tremalo bridge, Stock neck, sperzels, Tex-Mex on the neck - USED FOR "STRAT LEADS" and clean single coil intros...
*Cobalt Blue Squire Stagemaster - TRICK stock neck (22 fret rosewood, VERY THIN, VERY fast, LOW action, nimble), Floyd rose (Top and bottom), Humbuckers on the bridge and neck (NICE GRUNGY OUTPUT), BIG DIVE tremalo bar, Sperzels....(THIS GUITAR IS WAY TOO FUN !!!!!!!!!)
*Carvin DC127 - Stock, Active pic-ups, Floyd Rose (Top and bottom), sperzels - SISSY BOY GUITAR FOR WIMPS !!! MISSSSTAKE TO SPEND $1200.00 on it !!!!!!!
*Carvin LB75 Five-string bass - GEORGIOUS bass !!! HARD TO PLAY (Sort-of...Takes getting used to)...BIG BOOMING SOUND !!!! (Running it through a GK amp and 18" woof w/folding/active/horn...
*Gibson Acoustic w/bridge built-in p/u...EQ, Gain...Single cutaway !!! SUPER DUPER NICE !!!

[Edited by LEEtheV on 02-13-2001 at 10:37 PM]
# 15
Elmo45
Elmo45
02/14/2001 7:48 am
What is it that you don't like about the Carvin DC-127?
Seriously. You have way more experience with guitars, so I'm looking for you honest opinion of it.
Don't worry, I don't have one so you won't bruise my ego so just fill us in. :)
# 16
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/14/2001 12:34 pm
Originally posted by Elmo45
What is it that you don't like about the Carvin DC-127?
Seriously. You have way more experience with guitars, so I'm looking for you honest opinion of it.
Don't worry, I don't have one so you won't bruise my ego so just fill us in. :)

*Here's the thing..Carvin makes this BEAUTIFUL sculpted piece of wood (neck through the body, no less), puts in active pick-ups, Floyd Rose on the bridge and ya got the best guitar you could ever have ! Right ? WRONG !!!!! The neck through the body design on this guitar makes it nothing more than a straight board...This guitar has NO "natural" feel to it and I find it uncomfortable to wrap my wrist around the neck unless I hike the strap up because the neck is not offset from the body......The pick-ups SHOULD be able to obtain ANY possible sound because it's ONLY got about 57 knobs and switches NOT including the knobs that pull in and out to set different gains and active tones....I can ASSURE you that you don't want to be phuckin' around on stage with gains and such....THAT is your sound man's job...Ya turn the bitch up and play.....If you DO find a sound you like, you WANT to super glue all the knobs and switches in place because if you lose that sound, you probably won't be able to find it again....SIMPLE is BETTER !!!! ALSO, the good ol' boys at Carvin wack the crap outa you to put a Floyd rose on the bridge, but don't put a locking nut on the top !!! (That's ANOTHER option)...Sperzels cost additional as well, so w/o either, using the tremalo to any degree is not advisable....IN ADDITION, This guitar does NOT want to rock and roll !!! The neck is perfectly straight, but getting the action comfortable w/o shimming the top rose bridge and SLOWLY adjusting the rear bridge is almost more of a hassle than it's worth......FINALLY, my STOCK Mexican strat and Squire H/buckers kick the living SCHIT outa these actives, as far as output and warmth is concerned....This guitar should be MUCH warmer than it is and (for the money) I would NOT recommend this guitar unless you want to explore the lost fusion/jazz/laymo chords of some obscure 3rd world pop through a 8" Peavey amp.......THIS guitar is a PERFECT example of EVERYTHING right on paper and NOTHING right in the rock world ...The overall sound is tinny and unimpressive EVEN CRANKIN' the Marshalls !!.....Your mileage may vary :D.....SIDE NOTE: I BELIEVE that when you give something to your guitar that the guitar should give something back to you :)..When I attack a string or go off on a riff, i wanna feel like me and my axe are doin' it "together"....The neck on the Carvin is straight and sure-footed, but doesn't "inspire" me to explore it...I just come up empty, time after time.....When I play HARD rythm on my Mexi-strat, it's like hitting the putting green 10 times outa 10....It makes me "feel" like those notes are just waitin' for me to nail them.....My Squire is like a puppy dog with it's favorite bone...It's tail is ALWAYS waggin' with it's tongue out droolin' !!! :D:D:D....I play this guitar until I drop and it ALWAYS begs me to play more !!!!! Put it this way.....If the V wants a Les Paul, he buys a Les Paul....At that point, I can "expect" certain things from that guitar and can enjoy the pure quality and tone of it....My Squire and Mexi-strat owe me NOTHING and yet ALWAYS deliver and THEN SOME !!!! I CANNOT impress upon you the importance of finding a guitar that inspires you to be you and becomes your best friend...this is often a hard task and trial and error are more the rule than the exception......I hope I have injected some passion into my feelings about my guitars.....They are, indeed, an important part of my life :D.....V

[Edited by LEEtheV on 02-14-2001 at 11:01 PM]
# 17
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
02/15/2001 4:33 am
My boy Danny had the same problem with his carvin dc-127 i believe( http://www.dannydanzi.com by the way). He now plays almost exclusively his Carvin DC-400 custom which has sperzels and a locking nut. He has an endorsement deal with carvin guitars, go check him out, he's one of the best in the world. He hangs out on paltalk under the name majichands.
"Take my hand boss"
# 18
satch3d (matt king)
satch3d (matt king)
02/15/2001 4:48 am
JS1000 and a Fender Custom Strat that I rebuilt with DiMarzio Virtual II's...
'mjk'
# 19
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/16/2001 1:10 am
Hmmm, Magichands eh. Yes, he also hangs out at guitarwar .com, which is a cool site to compete against others. He hasn't competed in a while it seems (I haven't heard him there) but he does post in the message board. He is also on the guitarwar part of mp3.com if anybody wants to hear him. I don't know why I feel the need to sound like a promoter, seeing as I don't even know the guy, but I was interested to see his name here as well.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.