Any Thing Apart From Metal

Rat520
Rat520
08/07/2000 10:20 am
play alot of jazz, blues type of music myself i was just wondering if you guys played anything apart from metal?

To anyone that answers no i can only say that playing other styles of music will improve your metal as well.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/07/2000 11:01 am
Yes, I do play a very different style from metal, I've dapled (spelling?) in country, jammed with the blues, played a little rock and, something which may surprise a lot of people is I play a little classical too. It all depends what mood I'm in...If I'm just plain peeved, I'll grap my electric, set everything on my amp to full, and sorta go "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...hehe, if I'm a little more emotional, it's my good ol' (naff) nylon string which is found in my hands...it all depends, but yes, I do play (or rather try to play) a very different range of styles...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
08/07/2000 1:21 pm
I try playing al kindsof stuff, i dont really care what "style" it is, if i like how it sounds, im playing it.
I like playing classical pieces, who were NOT written for guitar, paganini and bach stuff.
I love neo-classical too, or just some non-metal jamming, just whatever comes out of my fingers.

But metal is what i love playing most, dont know why, im sure ill grow into different styles as a grow older.
# 3
No_Good_Punk_Kid
No_Good_Punk_Kid
08/07/2000 3:50 pm
I enjoy playing punk, ska, funk, and alternative.
# 4
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/07/2000 10:28 pm
I sometimes feel like this board is all metal. I hold my head up high and say that I do not play metal (not that there's anyhting wrong with it.) I'm mainly a jazz player, at least I'm learning, but I'm trying pretty damn hard. Just got a real book, so I can start on learning tunes. I also play blues but so does everybody else, so who cares, hehe. I have no aversion to playing rock, its just that I'd rather learn how to play jazz.
# 5
Luke
Luke
08/07/2000 10:48 pm
I Can play any style of music. I like playing blues and rock, but I love playing music that takes huge amounts of skill without limitations.

Thats why I love playing Classical,Jazz, and Neo-Classical.

I love music where one is not confined to a beat or certain rythm you HALF to play in.

Take blues for example. You have to stay within three certain chords to do it right.

Now you can make stuff up inbetween those chords to sound good, but it's just not the same as Classcal and Jazz because you have no rythm to stay in, you have chords to stay in but your not confined to it.
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 6
loner92
loner92
08/08/2000 4:25 am
Othet than metal, I play hard rock and some blues-ish riffs here and there. I'm not good enough to ay jazz (yet), I'm not that interested in it either. Jazz doesn't seem to carry power and attitude very much to me.

# 7
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/08/2000 5:16 am
Never say you can play any style of music. You can't play indian raga, and I doubt you can play true flamenco (as opposed to al dimeola style psuedo flamenco, which is also pretty tough.)

# 8
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/08/2000 5:20 am
A lot of people don't think jazz has the energy that hard rock/metal does. I think it often has more, it just manifests itself in more subtle ways. In metal, it has more "power" because it's loud, it's fast, its distorted, and its angry, that's not an insult, that just tends to be what people are refering to when they talk about metallica having a "heavy, powerful" sound.
Try listening to Giant Steps by John Coltrane. That energy, that power, its there, he's just not playing a distorted guitar, he's playing a tenor sax, so it sounds different.
As for playing jazz, I'm working on it, but its very hard to bull**** your way through. With blues/rock/metal, even if you're not that good, if you know what key you're in you can bull**** you're way through a solo without sounding terrible. It's a lot harder in jazz because there are constant key changes (at least in bebop) and you (usually) have to think about each chord you're soloing over seperately, rather than looking at a song, determining what key its in, and soloing in that key.
# 9
Luke
Luke
08/09/2000 12:19 am
PLease don't say I CAN't do any style of music.
How do you know that I haven't studied my whole life on/about the guitar?
How do you know I'm not the best?
You've never met me, I would never say anything bad about you concerning guitar playing.

IN short, don't say what you don't know.
Or you might just be like that other forum member "Panterawannabe" and shout out pure CRAP.
When I said I could play anything it was because I can.
I didn't say I play EVERY style, but I can.
I don't know every style, but show it to me and I can play it.
# 10
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/09/2000 1:20 am
You must've misunderstood me, I wasn't trying to be insulting in any way. I didn't say anythin gbad about your playing. Also, I know you're not the best because there is no such thing as best guitarrist. I don't believe that there is enough time in life for somebody to learn Indian Raga music, classical music, jazz, metal, blues, rock, country, and so on, and be very good at all of them. It's quite possible that you could learn any one of them if you devoted a lot of time to it, so if that's what you meant, I'm sorry.
Still, you have to admit you come accross as arrogant saying that you can play anything, anybody would, I dont care how good they are. How long have you been playing? As for show it to you, and you can play it, I don't think that I could show you, or anybody, jazz, and you'd quickly be able to play it. Being able to play bebop and be creative with your improvising takes very very many years of intense study, if you've devoted those years, good for you, but I'm guessing you haven't, because most guitarrists who frequent these forums haven't, I know I've not, yet.
I'm sorry, I realize I came off as sounding too harsh, when I ddin't at all mean to be insulting.

# 11
Luke
Luke
08/09/2000 2:36 am
I'm sorry if I offended you and I except your apology.

I do know that alot of people on this forum are quite young in there guitar habit.

I would not say I can play anything if I wasn't for sure I could.

Unlike a lot of people on this forum I've played/practiced/performed for many years now.

I'm not some child acting like he is the best of the best or anything, I've got the experience needed to say that upon study I can play anything.

PLease do not think I'm arrogant, I'm only saying what is true. I didn't mean that I was The Best, I just meant I could be and you wouldn't know it cause we've never met

(p.s.- I like coming to these forums to help others out, although I do believe one can achieve such rank as best guitarist, you can never learn all there is about music, after all we are mortals and don't have the time to be true masters no matter if you number one or not

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 08-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 08-08-2000).]
# 12
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/09/2000 4:26 am
See here's where we disagree. I don't think that it's fair to say that since clapton and vai both play with emotion (a heavily subjective statement) that they cancel out, and vai's technique makes him better. They are different guitarrists, Vai definitely has better technique and is therefore better at shred, I'd say clapton is better at blues/blues rock. Vai (and this is just my feeling) has never struck me as the kind of guitarrist who is very aware of melody. He's capable of melody making, he just usually doesn't do it. I can say that I've never heard a memorable solo of his, they are usually either cramming max notes into minimum time, or makign wierd sounds. Keep in mind I own passion and warfare, and the only song that I think is a real song, with melodic development and ideas, is sisters. Otherwise it's basically a bunch of wanking centered around a riff. I'm not saying I love clapton either, though, they are just different. It's not that I hate that style, I like Joe Satriani, Vai I just feel doesn't make cohesive music. (If Ekstasis reads this he'll be all over me.)
I think if we use technique to judge, then we are forgetting that the point of music is more than mechanics. If we're to judge Django Reinhardt against, hmm, lets say jeff beck. It's not fair to say "they both have emotion, beck's got better technique, he's better." Jeff Beck would never agree to that statement, sure he's got better technique (Django only had 2 fully working left hand fingers, that's limiting, though he did get around it pretty well) but his improvisations were incredible. It's Jeff Beck's opinion that Django was the best ever. While like I said, I dont believe that anybody is best ever, I don't think that there can be anybody who is objectively better than django. It's impossible to say that "his improvisations are more melodic than django's" because it's totally subjective. That's why there's no best.
# 13
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/09/2000 4:39 am
Ok cool man, sorry for the misunderstanding. Out of curiousity, what do you mainly play? Like i said (or did I?) I'm studying to play jazz. I'm still learning, and I guess we all are, but I've got a lot to learn in terms of jazz. I find it very hard to solo over lots of chords and be creative, especially when the chords are from different keys, so you can't improvise melodically in one key. I know how to do it, (i.e. how to connect chords) and what guide tones are supposed to be used, it's that I just have a hard time soloing over tunes like confirmation without being repetetive.
I used to play blues and rock, but I got a bit bored, not because I had mastered it or anything (I dont like to think that anybody can ever truly master a style, there's almost always more to learn, ways to improve) but because i thought the idea of having more harmonic choices would be more interesting. Also, I like how jazz is way more loose in terms of performance. There's improvisation not only in solos, but it comping rythm, dynamics, chord voicing choices, and so on.
I'm just saying I don't think there can be a best guitar player because how would you define it. If you go by absolutes (fastest, knows the most chord voicings, knows the most scales) then you can pick best playeres, but there's more to music than that. Who's better, George Benson or Grant Green? Theres no way to answer that question, since there's no way to define better.
# 14
Luke
Luke
08/09/2000 3:20 pm
I agree to an extent. I think (please don't take offence at this) that people often confuse sounding good with talent.

For example: Eric Clapton
Excelant guitarist, but steve vai knew a hell of a lot more to play.

Eric played with emotion and people love him for it, but in comparison, Steve Vai plays with emotion and played things Eric would have a hard time with.

So in my mind Steve Vai when Compared to Eric Clapton, is better.

I just want to let you know that that was an EXAMPLE and not a slam on Eric, he was a great blues guitarist, but when compared to a guitarist that put alot more techneque into his playing, you can't say that Eric is better.

And to answer your question, I don't limit my self to certain styles, but in terms of what I mainly play, Jazz, Classical, Neo Classical.

I said it before and the reason I love playing these is cause alot of times, almost always in classical, you don't have a set rythm to be confined to
Blues has three chords in which to improv in, you can make stuff up in those chords, but you can't compare them. I know I'm a talker, but I don't want you to misunderstand me

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 08-09-2000).]
# 15
Slink
Slink
08/12/2000 2:34 am
I hate metal with a fiery passion. I'm a punk for the most part, but I'm in the process of learning rockabilly and bluesier stuff. So, uhm, yeah.
Slink
Go be mad somewhere else, Goths.
# 16
loner92
loner92
08/12/2000 4:34 am
Must be hard learning all the theory and technique necesarry to play punk.

# 17
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
08/12/2000 6:46 pm
Now this is a great topic. I've been away from the forum for a while, so sorry about the lateness. I play as many styles of music as i possibly can, and while i'm sure i've missed styles from other countries, i play, and appreciate, every style available to me in my little world. I think the way to get good at different styles is to first get good at all of the technical things and all the theory, so you won't rely only on little tricks you learn for each genre. I've played with over 30 bands and not repeated styles. I play (and write) a lot of Jazz, a lot of blues (especially prewar country blues and clean electric blues), country (particularly the roy nichols classic country style), rock of course (thats what i started out in), punk (i'd bet all the money in my wallet 9 out of 10 guys here couldnt write or play a decent punk song even if they can shred like yngwie), classical...horrible repetitive contricting music, no room for personal expression, pop )gotta love being able to play any song from the radio anyone can name, metal (even though it has to be the most limited of all forms of music it has its place), and other things like hindi (indian) music, reggae, ska, and folk.
You're right about most people here being only metalheads or shredders. But this place is all about learning so maybe we can all help each other out.
Now i'll probably get trashed for saying i can play all of those styles well, but i'm going to go with luke, i wouldnt say i could if i couldnt. Also, joining a band that plays one particular genre is a good way off immersing yourself enough to learn the style well. Take care.

Atomic
# 18
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
08/12/2000 6:48 pm
Not to mention r and b, rap, dance and funk.
Lol
# 19
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/13/2000 7:53 pm
You know, Atomic, you and Luke ought to think about joining Guitar War since you guys play so many different styles. As a matter of fact I think everyone here should join Guitar War and use their names from this forum. I just signed up today and will be competing within a few weeks. See you guys in COMBAT! Hahahahahahahaha!

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.