View post (Any Thing Apart From Metal)

View thread

AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
08/12/2000 6:46 pm
Now this is a great topic. I've been away from the forum for a while, so sorry about the lateness. I play as many styles of music as i possibly can, and while i'm sure i've missed styles from other countries, i play, and appreciate, every style available to me in my little world. I think the way to get good at different styles is to first get good at all of the technical things and all the theory, so you won't rely only on little tricks you learn for each genre. I've played with over 30 bands and not repeated styles. I play (and write) a lot of Jazz, a lot of blues (especially prewar country blues and clean electric blues), country (particularly the roy nichols classic country style), rock of course (thats what i started out in), punk (i'd bet all the money in my wallet 9 out of 10 guys here couldnt write or play a decent punk song even if they can shred like yngwie), classical...horrible repetitive contricting music, no room for personal expression, pop )gotta love being able to play any song from the radio anyone can name, metal (even though it has to be the most limited of all forms of music it has its place), and other things like hindi (indian) music, reggae, ska, and folk.
You're right about most people here being only metalheads or shredders. But this place is all about learning so maybe we can all help each other out.
Now i'll probably get trashed for saying i can play all of those styles well, but i'm going to go with luke, i wouldnt say i could if i couldnt. Also, joining a band that plays one particular genre is a good way off immersing yourself enough to learn the style well. Take care.

Atomic