View post (Any Thing Apart From Metal)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/09/2000 4:39 am
Ok cool man, sorry for the misunderstanding. Out of curiousity, what do you mainly play? Like i said (or did I?) I'm studying to play jazz. I'm still learning, and I guess we all are, but I've got a lot to learn in terms of jazz. I find it very hard to solo over lots of chords and be creative, especially when the chords are from different keys, so you can't improvise melodically in one key. I know how to do it, (i.e. how to connect chords) and what guide tones are supposed to be used, it's that I just have a hard time soloing over tunes like confirmation without being repetetive.
I used to play blues and rock, but I got a bit bored, not because I had mastered it or anything (I dont like to think that anybody can ever truly master a style, there's almost always more to learn, ways to improve) but because i thought the idea of having more harmonic choices would be more interesting. Also, I like how jazz is way more loose in terms of performance. There's improvisation not only in solos, but it comping rythm, dynamics, chord voicing choices, and so on.
I'm just saying I don't think there can be a best guitar player because how would you define it. If you go by absolutes (fastest, knows the most chord voicings, knows the most scales) then you can pick best playeres, but there's more to music than that. Who's better, George Benson or Grant Green? Theres no way to answer that question, since there's no way to define better.