Major Concern

monster4cat
monster4cat
06/23/2017 1:22 pm

Your problem is not in your age. You watch people on instagram? Instagram is for boasting, you upload riff that looks hard and promote it with https://zen-promo.com/like_bot_instagram, and now you're f-ing rocker! All you need is to find good teacher who will show you your way of practise.

# 1
winryember
winryember
06/27/2017 7:13 pm

I struggle with this feeling all the time! I started playing guitar when I was 17, and I still felt like a late bloomer.

I play 4 instruments, and something I've noticed is that right before my playing gets better, it feels like I actually get worse. The more you play and the better your ear gets, the more you notice things that need improvement with your playing. Unfortunately, our musical skills don't steadily increase, sometimes we plateau and don't notice improvement for a while, but if you keep practicing every day, you'll have another "ah-ha" moment eventually.

# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
06/28/2017 4:50 pm

Monstr4cat and winryember, thank you for your thoughts on this. I'll definitly keep playing no matter what. And I didn't know that about instrgram really.

# 3
rebecca156
Full Access
rebecca156
Full Access
07/03/2017 4:01 am

I don't know of anyone who is happy with their playing after a year of learning. The term "it's a marathon, not a race" is never more true than learning guitar.

# 4
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
07/03/2017 5:27 pm
Originally Posted by: rebecca156

I don't know of anyone who is happy with their playing after a year of learning. The term "it's a marathon, not a race" is never more true than learning guitar.

Thank you, Rebecca.

This so true. We'll keep on trying. :)

# 5
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
07/03/2017 7:31 pm

Hi there, and yes I feel your pain. I'm 53 years old and have been learning for about 5 months. I decided to get into Blues music. Trawled through the songs after completing a couple of Blues introduction courses. Spotted "The Thrill is Gone" by none other than the great BB.

So I set my heart on learning this great song. It is at level 4. It is a BIG stretch for me. I have struggled along with it for a couple of months. Logic says I should quit it, try something level 2, but I am a stubborn person sometimes and I hate to admit defeat.

Well, after plenty of temper tantrums and self-criticism I can fairly much play through from start to finish, but there are a few techniques that I can't master yet. I mean, I can play the notes, but perhaps not with the same feel as Anders or original BB.

I have to accept that this is pretty good for a beginner, and that I will never be BB or anywhere near as good as Anders.

I'm just happy to be able to play along, I hope you can find happiness in "just playing along" as well!!

Good luck, stick with it, stubborness can get you places!!!!

# 6
dancsgrv
dancsgrv
07/23/2017 2:35 pm

I started learning guitar when I turned 60, about 3 years ago. I often find myself in the same boat you're in with your playing and get a little discouraged, but I always have to remind myself that playing music is about your personal journey to an uncertain destination. If you keep at it, you will continue to get better, maybe never reaching the level you want to be, but fulfilling the need you have to do it. I was a working keyboardist and singer in rock and country bands for about 25 years until I gave up the late nights and basicallly had the same feeling about my keyboard playing. I was a very respected local musician, even had people in the clubs tell me I was the best they had heard, but I knew better. There were tons of guys around who could play circles around me, but I was able to make the best of the talent I have and entertain people. No matter who you are, there's always someone better, but there's always someone not as good also, who may be looking at jealously at your playing. I guess my point is that you should accept the amount of talent you have and make the best of it. Also as someone else said, you haven't been playing very long, unless you're a prodigy, playing guitar well takes many years of practice. Good luck, hope you stay with it.

# 7
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/10/2017 6:06 pm

I maybe a bit wide of the mark, but the fact that I will never be able to learn it all, is one of the biggest reasons I love guitar. Music should never be a race, because it is not a race. But likewise, you will never be bored.

What this means to me is that any time I seriously practice my insturment, I can and frequently do find new doors opening. I love this boundless nature of the study of music. Been at it for 50 years and still... if I practice, those magical doors keep opening.

I am pretty sure I will never be Jeff Beck, but I am also assured that I will enjoy my musical journey none the less. I also know that my knowledge of the instrument greatly increases my appreciation for just what Mr Beck does with that infernal machine.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 8
m.giancarlo2016
m.giancarlo2016
11/14/2017 6:10 am

Hey man, listen to me. Do you want to play guitar to be good or for looking good in front of the girl? Is it speaking to you or is it a pick up gimmick? Because it doesn’t matter when you play but how you communicate with it and the people you connect with on the journey for the rest of your life. I seriously suggest if you truly feel a calling to play then find songs that are your favorite, bust out your old Cd or tape collections and just loop your favorite track and play by ear. Have your tab site on phone or cpu out for guidance but just learn stuff you always air guitar too and throw your clock out the window. Get rid of criticism and hear the notes not your opinions bc our mind is a bitch to ourselves. Find your sanctuary and purge all the negative vibes and reminders of “can’t” and like “courting a lady” as I thought of it at the time, start with a sweet note and let it ring, and learn by mistakes learn by new techniques learn by knowing you have it your best that day. If you don’t wanna play, then don’t. Bc it’s an extension of you man, and you never wanna teach yourself to hate something your tried to love and spent hard earn money on ya know? Hope something from this response helps. We’ve all been where you’re at. Music is timeless brother. Welcome to the family

# 9
m.giancarlo2016
m.giancarlo2016
11/14/2017 6:19 am

Also I’m 29 and started around 8 as a classical pianist who jumped ship after I bought my squirt strat pack. I bought a learn with Eddie Van Halen tab book with a cheesy cd for drum tracks to the books songs and went straight to eruption. I learned to finger tap before I knew chords and started Electric before Acoustic and did everything “backwards” to some teachers perspectives because I wanted to play the way I wanted to, MY WAY. No rules, no regulations, just musical freedom. Pick it up when your humming a tune, sound it out and keep a mental journal . Try not to get too caught up with all these bells and whistle apps and computer nonsense. Some of its great but for you, lay down your foundation first and dedicate to playing the way you see fit. Email me at musicmayhem1988@gmail.com if ya wanna talk more music . I love playing and have helped quite a few players find their routine who give me a run for my money now haha, but again it’s all supposed to soothe the soul and not be a burden so good luck man!

# 10
m.giancarlo2016
m.giancarlo2016
11/14/2017 6:24 am
Originally Posted by: monster4cat

Your problem is not in your age. You watch people on instagram? Instagram is for boasting, you upload riff that looks hard and promote it with https://zen-promo.com/like_bot_instagram, and now you're f-ing rocker! All you need is to find good teacher who will show you your way of practise.

i agree about the boasting aspect. I post stuff just to show those who are full of themselves that it’s not a beauty pageant or a pick up line, sure it’s fun to share with your friends but don’t peacock with it, cuz it comes off cheesy. PAUL Gilbert EVH Randy rhoads and Jeff beck are all innovative talents that share music IMO. Relate to them and enjoy

# 11
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
11/14/2017 5:52 pm

This thread has been a good read, may there be many more like it!

From my persective I have always wanted to play like Frank Zappa, Rory Gallhager and many more.

As an older learner 59 now and have tried and failed a few times over the years, one problem is just as you really need to start playing with a band you realise that all the bands that are at a similar level of playing are probably all 15 year olds and of course that is never going to work.

I am trying again and so far liking the structured approach that GT brings and seem to be doing okay and filling in areas I was misssing with my less than ideal teachers in the past that I do think led me down the wrong path which is one reason I gave up, though it was mainly down to me.

I wonder now if I should be learning a different genre of guitar music as I will never play in a band now, though that is the music I have always loved but to what end can I progress in at home?

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.