View post (Major Concern)

View thread

dancsgrv
dancsgrv
07/23/2017 2:35 pm

I started learning guitar when I turned 60, about 3 years ago. I often find myself in the same boat you're in with your playing and get a little discouraged, but I always have to remind myself that playing music is about your personal journey to an uncertain destination. If you keep at it, you will continue to get better, maybe never reaching the level you want to be, but fulfilling the need you have to do it. I was a working keyboardist and singer in rock and country bands for about 25 years until I gave up the late nights and basicallly had the same feeling about my keyboard playing. I was a very respected local musician, even had people in the clubs tell me I was the best they had heard, but I knew better. There were tons of guys around who could play circles around me, but I was able to make the best of the talent I have and entertain people. No matter who you are, there's always someone better, but there's always someone not as good also, who may be looking at jealously at your playing. I guess my point is that you should accept the amount of talent you have and make the best of it. Also as someone else said, you haven't been playing very long, unless you're a prodigy, playing guitar well takes many years of practice. Good luck, hope you stay with it.