Finding a jam buddy or band mates

compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
05/10/2013 11:26 pm
Just a few points about finding some one to practice or play with.
In Guitar Tricks it's going to be like playing the lottery with a membership of over 1.9 million members ( According to eReleases ) from all over the world. Then break the membership down to those wanting to find a jam buddy or band. Further, break these down by genre, and again by ability.
From my personal experience just getting people to accept someone on a buddy list or private message is about nill. Most people don't trust the internet to post where they live, so unless you happen to catch a forum conversation about a "happening" in an area you live in, your not apt to find who lives close. How far does one want to travel.
I have found a site that people could post that they were looking for people to play or band to join or start up. It didn't look very productive and I didn't look more then once.
You can also look in CRAIGLIST which was not of much help in my area.
Good luck to anyone looking for playmates

US population nearly 313 million
World population 7,021,836,029;

PS Guitar Tricks has an A+ rating with the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern Coastal California BBB
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/11/2013 6:59 am
Every band mate I have has been found on Kijiji. It is a classifieds online, probably a Canadian thing, I am not sure, but I am certain your location has something similar. Never tried Craigslist (for anything ever). It's too global, like eBay. You need to seek local. Kijiji has brought me some misses, but has also built my band. I have a really great bunch I am happy to play and hang with (just got done a great open mic tonight).

Classifieds are dicey, and even scary at first. I was reticent on giving any info until a correspondent had passed several "gates" (ie: First Gate was they typed in actual sentences, then a phone call, etc). But it worked out for me. Well enough that I barely canvass anymore.

There are folks on GT I'd love to jam with but the global nature and excellent attraction of this site means folks most likely live elsewhere! Try your local online classifieds and take a chance. You could be pleasantly surprised. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
05/11/2013 11:35 am
I also found my bandmates with kijiji. I actually found a lot of jams partners with kijiji before finding the right ones to form a band. Like Razbo mentionned, its Canadian thing but there as to be a similar websites for Usa. There's a 2 websites I heard of I cant remember where or when. Maybe you could check that out.

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
http://bandlink.com/
# 3
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
05/11/2013 2:10 pm
Hey Raz and SebastBerg,
Thanks for the response.
I hope the thread is a help to fellow member.
I looked through Craigs list after I posted this thread and it would be another lottery senario.
I, at one time tried to layout ideas for a web site to link fellow player for practice buddies, but as ideas grow it became more of a band mate locator which was good, but was going away from my main purpose. Also it move away from being for guitarist.
Plus the biggest block was that I have no clue how to design a web page.
thanks again guys
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/11/2013 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1
I looked through Craigs list after I posted this thread and it would be another lottery senario.

That, unfortunately, is the nature of the game.

I have found better success in posting my own ads. And the ad itself is a big factor.

Having been doing this for a few years, I find specifying my needs/expectations and song lists, etc, in a big long ad produce lesser results for some reason.

I'd think people tend to be "shy", except that I've put out double ads with one specifying lots of stuff, and at the same time, brief ones asking for more casual/non-experienced folks without listing expectations. I've had Totally Pro (waaayyy beyond me) people respond to the 'casual' ads and never the expectation ads.

Go figure!

So, change your 'bait' and see what happens :)
# 5
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
05/11/2013 3:51 pm
thanks again Raz..
BTW, is the ns in your location box for Nova Scotia..
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/11/2013 4:00 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1
BTW, is the ns in your location box for Nova Scotia..

It is. Or non-sensible, which ever you prefer ;)
# 7
rhw
rhw
06/07/2013 9:33 pm
Toughest thing is when you get a response, getting a time when everyone can meet. Also, are they smokers? Find somewhere neutral to meet (Tim's). You don't know these people and they don't know you! Best is to find a 'Jam' studio to rent and meet there, when you finally get sorted out. Drums and P.A. are supplied and it's cheaper/better than having strangers in your home.
Finally, Canada rocks Eh! (pardon me, never mind, sorry.....)
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/08/2013 1:15 am
Originally Posted by: rhwToughest thing is when you get a response, getting a time when everyone can meet. Also, are they smokers? Find somewhere neutral to meet (Tim's). You don't know these people and they don't know you! Best is to find a 'Jam' studio to rent and meet there, when you finally get sorted out. Drums and P.A. are supplied and it's cheaper/better than having strangers in your home.
Finally, Canada rocks Eh! (pardon me, never mind, sorry.....)

I have to say, I used to be quite paranoid about all that. I had several "gates" people had to pass... First some emails; what are the responses like? Do they type in complete sentences? Use all caps? Then a preliminary phone call, etc.

These days I just email 'em. If they can show up, great. My garage is done over for music, double walled, triple locked, steel reinforced jambs and no windows (I guess I'm still paranoid, but secure lol). I have the advantage no one needs to enter my house.

Maybe I've been lucky. Any one have horror stories to put me back on my toes? :eek:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.