No band for me? :(

caponi14
caponi14
11/21/2011 10:09 pm
I am very frustrated and sad that i can't find any band, that i can play and create music with.
I tried play with some of my friends, it diddent work out cause they had no time.
You don't have to answer this tread... I just felt like shouting it out to someone :(

And soon i have to start education! I don't want that S***
I just wonna play music....
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/21/2011 10:40 pm
Don't know if it's the same in Denmark, but here in the US sites like Craigslist can be helpful.

You can post an ad up saying exactly what you are looking for (band members that have time to play) and maybe someone might answer. Even if it just starts with 1 person, it might lead to more later.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/22/2011 11:46 am
Yup. If you don't really have a network, online classifieds are one way. All my band members have been found this way and all but one of us have been together about 9 months now.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/22/2011 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14And soon i have to start education! I don't want that S***
I just wonna play music....

Be wise, get your education.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
adir olf
adir olf
11/23/2011 2:50 am
well i'm not good enough for a band yet but our local library has a group of people that just meet to have a jam session. they are bluegrass and that's not my favorite but it is a good way to meet players of all types!
maybe that is something that would work?
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 5
adir olf
adir olf
11/23/2011 2:57 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlacker
Ricks current "pimp the band" : Steelheart

please interpret your signature :)
does that mean thats your favorite band?
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 6
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/24/2011 8:03 pm
I'm actually going to go against the grain here a bit, and suggest you re-think your education plans. There are a lot of people out there that will tell you, "get an education, get a good job, then, when and if you have time, you can dabble with your dreams..." What I'd say is this: whatever you choose to do with your life, be passionate about it. If you're going to get an education in a field of study that you absolutely LOVE and are sure its what you want to do with your life, then go for it. If you think being in a band would be great because it would just take the right "Record Label Guy" to come along and then life would be easy then I'd recommend a different career path.

But if you absolutely love music and are passionate about it, there's nothing that says you can't follow your heart. There's tons of people that have "towed the line" and look back on their lives regretting that they didn't take a chance when they had one. I know some very successful people, some whom are very wealthy, and the one thing they have in common is that they are very passionate about what they do. They have a vision, they follow it, and they feel fulfilled by the work they do. If you have other people in your life telling you "you should become a lawyer... you'll make good money and that will make you happy" then you'll probably find out its often not true.. it just might take you 20 years to do so. If you find yourself doing something and saying "I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else" then you're probably following the right path. Good luck!
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
11/26/2011 1:10 pm
Thanks Slip man.
Thank you. I see where your going with this.
# 8
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/26/2011 7:07 pm
Just as long as you do the research about whatever it is you want to do. The band life is much different today than it was even a decade ago. Go back to the 80's and 90's and it is a whole different game still. Know what it will require of you and know what to expect in terms of putting the time in and the toll it can take on the rest of your life (or lack of one if you are a touring band). Not a "family life" kind of thing. It can definitely be done, but it's much different.
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2011 1:17 am
Hello again Caponi! It's been a minute (or a year?)

I know your pain, and here is my suggestion; do as much on your own as possible! Where as in Los Angeles there are musicians everywhere (both great and not so great), my past life in the small town of Kokomo, Indiana was not so successful. I knew a lot of musicians, but time and time again no one took it as serious as I did. I moved to Los Angeles to make it a career and to find other hard working boys and girls. Luckily I have found that, and you will too.

I have seen how feverish and excited you are about the guitar, and you will find your place just have patience. First concentrate on being someone that people like being around as being in a band is much like being with family and friends. Secondly, surround yourself with musicians like yourself. If they are not around, than do as much as you can on your own until you find them. Play solo shows, learn to record, learn other instruments, etc.

It's a frustrating journey finding the right people, but never know what you can discover when trying new things on your own. You never know until you try. :D
Douglas Showalter
# 10
Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
11/30/2011 1:30 am
Are you going to live on campus at school? College dorms tend to house a lot of guitar players. I never knew a dorm that didn't have at least a couple of musicians on every floor. You may find what you're looking for once you're in school.

Increasingly, education is the hoop you have to jump through in life just to get a foot in the door somewhere, and it's a lot easier to get it out of the way when you're younger, before life starts heaping obligations on you. Slip is right, though, that if college really isn't for you, and you're genuinely passionate about something, that passion can often carry you where you want to be (I have friends who have become well-respected experts in fields because they taught themselves and pursued their interests passionately, though they never finished college). If you have to put your life on hold for four years, and you're young, well, you've got time. If you really have a passion for something, just be careful after graduation not to put yourself in a position that continues to put your passions on hold. I'm so glad I followed my passions for years after I got out of school because it gets harder and harder all the time to pursue them as you get older and life places more burdens and obligations on you. (My friends and family who took the traditional route in life and had careers and kids and financial security in their 20s and early 30s often tell me they're jealous of all the things I've done, but hey, they made their choices...)

As for education, hey, it doesn't hurt to get some, and your chances of finding new musicians to jam with and maybe start a band with will almost certainly increase in a college environment.
# 11
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
12/07/2011 4:20 pm
Amen, well said

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI'm actually going to go against the grain here a bit, and suggest you re-think your education plans. There are a lot of people out there that will tell you, "get an education, get a good job, then, when and if you have time, you can dabble with your dreams..." What I'd say is this: whatever you choose to do with your life, be passionate about it. If you're going to get an education in a field of study that you absolutely LOVE and are sure its what you want to do with your life, then go for it. If you think being in a band would be great because it would just take the right "Record Label Guy" to come along and then life would be easy then I'd recommend a different career path.

But if you absolutely love music and are passionate about it, there's nothing that says you can't follow your heart. There's tons of people that have "towed the line" and look back on their lives regretting that they didn't take a chance when they had one. I know some very successful people, some whom are very wealthy, and the one thing they have in common is that they are very passionate about what they do. They have a vision, they follow it, and they feel fulfilled by the work they do. If you have other people in your life telling you "you should become a lawyer... you'll make good money and that will make you happy" then you'll probably find out its often not true.. it just might take you 20 years to do so. If you find yourself doing something and saying "I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else" then you're probably following the right path. Good luck!

For What It's Worth
# 12
caponi14
caponi14
12/11/2011 1:41 am
Im in no shape or form to go to college. I would never do that. Im the person in the world, that you would LEAST send to school.
I wonna play music man. Thats what i do, and i will keep doing it. Im just happy that i have a family that supports most of my decisions. I have played alot of concerts now. i think i have played like 150 shows or something since i started playing 4 years ago. Ofcourse the first couple of shows were not that good. But damn, now i can even just join in on songs i have never heard, cause my ears and technique have improoved so much. It's a great feeling and makes me happy.
Now i just wonna play my own music you know. With someone.

Oh :) and hello Doug. Long time no speak :)
# 13
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2011 6:59 am
In 2001, I graduated from high school and went straight to college while still working and living with my parents. I was super into music but nowhere did I find the motivation or ambition to think I could do it for a living. I went through four years of school, graduated with B.A in Corporate Communication (you read that correctly), and it now sits on my bookshelf :cool:

I very much appreciated my formal education, and I learned a lot. However, it wasn't until I had a conversation with a woman whom told me I was foolish if I didn't follow my dreams that I saw it as a reality. Once I graduated from school, all signs pointed to Los Angeles and that was six years ago. I went through the hoops of appeasing my family and getting my degree, and thankfully I was still young enough to move here and get my career going. If you have the ambition now and are at a young age (which you are,) then I would go for it 100% and don't look back.

My happiness and drive run neck and neck with my creative output. The fact that I get to do what I love every day with people with whom I admire is a blessing and a product of hard work. It's hard work meets opportunity. It's as simple as that.

Now, get to it!!!!!!!! :eek:
Douglas Showalter
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.