View post (No band for me? :()

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2011 1:17 am
Hello again Caponi! It's been a minute (or a year?)

I know your pain, and here is my suggestion; do as much on your own as possible! Where as in Los Angeles there are musicians everywhere (both great and not so great), my past life in the small town of Kokomo, Indiana was not so successful. I knew a lot of musicians, but time and time again no one took it as serious as I did. I moved to Los Angeles to make it a career and to find other hard working boys and girls. Luckily I have found that, and you will too.

I have seen how feverish and excited you are about the guitar, and you will find your place just have patience. First concentrate on being someone that people like being around as being in a band is much like being with family and friends. Secondly, surround yourself with musicians like yourself. If they are not around, than do as much as you can on your own until you find them. Play solo shows, learn to record, learn other instruments, etc.

It's a frustrating journey finding the right people, but never know what you can discover when trying new things on your own. You never know until you try. :D
Douglas Showalter