View post (No band for me? :()

View thread

Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
11/30/2011 1:30 am
Are you going to live on campus at school? College dorms tend to house a lot of guitar players. I never knew a dorm that didn't have at least a couple of musicians on every floor. You may find what you're looking for once you're in school.

Increasingly, education is the hoop you have to jump through in life just to get a foot in the door somewhere, and it's a lot easier to get it out of the way when you're younger, before life starts heaping obligations on you. Slip is right, though, that if college really isn't for you, and you're genuinely passionate about something, that passion can often carry you where you want to be (I have friends who have become well-respected experts in fields because they taught themselves and pursued their interests passionately, though they never finished college). If you have to put your life on hold for four years, and you're young, well, you've got time. If you really have a passion for something, just be careful after graduation not to put yourself in a position that continues to put your passions on hold. I'm so glad I followed my passions for years after I got out of school because it gets harder and harder all the time to pursue them as you get older and life places more burdens and obligations on you. (My friends and family who took the traditional route in life and had careers and kids and financial security in their 20s and early 30s often tell me they're jealous of all the things I've done, but hey, they made their choices...)

As for education, hey, it doesn't hurt to get some, and your chances of finding new musicians to jam with and maybe start a band with will almost certainly increase in a college environment.