Blues toneability

gibsonsgguy
gibsonsgguy
09/06/2009 5:04 am
I am more of a David Gilmore or Jimmy Page type player, but I am trying to learn more bluesy stuff. How can I get that tone through a Gibson SG with a Digitech RP500 run through a Crate 1200 H full stack.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/06/2009 2:44 pm
Even if I had the same gear as you, I would only be able to give you some guidelines. The rest is a matter of your personal taste, and what your ears tell you.

For the kind of tone you seek, you will not need much distortion. Some compression will help to keep the dynamics under control.

EQ decisons are purely a matter of taste. You may find that the neck pickups works best for you, at least to start, but you may also find that having both pickups on allows you to add some colouration to the tone. Avoid heavy bass, because that can muddy the tone. Use just enough treble to bring out the detail.

Keep experimenting. Keep playing. Most of the blues tone comes from the player's hands. The equipment and settings are less important, really.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
09/11/2009 4:29 am
I am still a novice player, but I do agree. Blues really comes from the how you play. not so much as what. When I started these courses I started the Blues course I was playing a real cluncky epiphone ... i dont even know what the hell it was on a 18 year old 15 watt Marshall valvestate amp. Even after a month or so of lessons, I was able to get a decent blues sound. I have since updated some of my gear but the idea is still the same. After all, Angus Young played an SG, so did Clapton in his early years and you certainly cant deny their bluesyness.

I dont know your skill level and background, but if you havent already, check out the "blues course" on this site. Andy, Chris and the crew will get you hooked up in no time, and even show you a few things to tweek your sound. They really got me going in the right direction!

Happy Playing!
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/11/2009 11:20 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings
Avoid heavy bass, because that can muddy the tone. Use just enough treble to bring out the detail.

What does this mean on the dial exactly? Is setting the knob at 5 considered flat? So, "just enough treble" would be something like 7? Or does it mean relative to 0 and a little treble might be 2 or 3?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/12/2009 5:09 am
It depends on the amp. My old Ampegs have true boost/cut tone controls, so the '12 o'clock' position is 'flat', or unchanged. I roll off the bass, raise the mids or upper mids just a bit, and leave the treble either flat, or very slightly boosted.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
d3ferer
d3ferer
09/17/2009 4:08 am
Hi
Hope you dont mind my input.

Gain low ...volume high you'll hear more of what your playing.

Use your fingers on your right hand and not a pick.

Play slowwwwwwwwwwww

Practice your bends , bend up and release slowwwwwww

Think of your bending like that of a singers vibrato

I find if i use a heavier string the tone is thicker.

Try a p90 based guitar.

Listen to Leslie west, Freddy king , derek trucks , bb king , Clapton , Robert Johnson , joe bonamassa
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/19/2009 12:08 pm
All the gear in the world will do nothing if you don't have it in your fingers. Tone starts in your hands. The attack of the pick when you strike the string and the manner in which your are fretting the notes.

Gilmore and Page sound like they do when they aren't plugged in.

It seems to me that if you can get the feel of the players unplugged, then adding equipment after that only enhances the sound. If you play like Gilmore, your using a few notes where most players would put many. Gilmore seems to have the ability to create musical tension with his economy of notes and this leads to those 'money' moments (pardon the pun...hehe). He also doesn't always go straight for the bend. He might hold the note for a second before bending. Page, well...lots to say there. He seems more frenetic but tends to, I think, play a little frenzied soloing that seems to be counterpointed with a tasty bends.

Anyway, I think my point is that sound coming out of your amp can often be secondary to how you play it. If your playing doesn't reflect the vibe of these players, the amp will never do that for you.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/15/2009 12:50 am
All that said (and all good points), try setting your amp clean & neutral, and set your Digi to Fender-something.

I've got the RP250, so I don't know what's on your 500 for options (can't remember all my own lol). If you have any Tweed or Bassman, give them a try.

On any guitar, I just find the neck pick up or neck/middle has a nice "default" Bluesy sound for my taste.

Start clean, see if you like it. EQ to taste. For some SRV, dial in a lil Tubescreamer. ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2009 12:52 am
I am a firm believer in the fact that the tone comes from you; not the equipment. Where as there will always be the essential sounds to recreate a certain tone; at the core of it starts with your playing and what your sound is.

I worked in a music store for a number of years and I cannot tell you the amount of times people did not want to hear this answer. And yes, in the world of sales; that may not be the most relevant thing to bring to a customer. However, time proves over and over that it is in your touch that really makes the sound happen. You take any great player and they will sound like them; no matter what instrument they are playing. Truth; the sound of a strat, les paul, acoustic, etc. will always differ. But, the vibe of that player will resonate throughout every one of those instruments. You want to play blues better; listen to as much blues as possible, and emulate the sounds of the players you love. This will translate though no matter what tone, pedals, or guitar that you use. Also, through this your ears will begin to know what sound is best.

This has been my experience, take it as you will.
Douglas Showalter
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.