View post (Blues toneability)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
09/19/2009 12:08 pm
All the gear in the world will do nothing if you don't have it in your fingers. Tone starts in your hands. The attack of the pick when you strike the string and the manner in which your are fretting the notes.

Gilmore and Page sound like they do when they aren't plugged in.

It seems to me that if you can get the feel of the players unplugged, then adding equipment after that only enhances the sound. If you play like Gilmore, your using a few notes where most players would put many. Gilmore seems to have the ability to create musical tension with his economy of notes and this leads to those 'money' moments (pardon the pun...hehe). He also doesn't always go straight for the bend. He might hold the note for a second before bending. Page, well...lots to say there. He seems more frenetic but tends to, I think, play a little frenzied soloing that seems to be counterpointed with a tasty bends.

Anyway, I think my point is that sound coming out of your amp can often be secondary to how you play it. If your playing doesn't reflect the vibe of these players, the amp will never do that for you.