View post (Blues toneability)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2009 12:52 am
I am a firm believer in the fact that the tone comes from you; not the equipment. Where as there will always be the essential sounds to recreate a certain tone; at the core of it starts with your playing and what your sound is.

I worked in a music store for a number of years and I cannot tell you the amount of times people did not want to hear this answer. And yes, in the world of sales; that may not be the most relevant thing to bring to a customer. However, time proves over and over that it is in your touch that really makes the sound happen. You take any great player and they will sound like them; no matter what instrument they are playing. Truth; the sound of a strat, les paul, acoustic, etc. will always differ. But, the vibe of that player will resonate throughout every one of those instruments. You want to play blues better; listen to as much blues as possible, and emulate the sounds of the players you love. This will translate though no matter what tone, pedals, or guitar that you use. Also, through this your ears will begin to know what sound is best.

This has been my experience, take it as you will.
Douglas Showalter