m-audio delta 44 sound card/Tracktion

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/24/2009 6:39 pm
Hey all- sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find anything.

I just got an m-audio Delta 44 Sound Card with the break out box for the guitar input. I'm using Tracktion to (try to record with).

The sound card is picking up the guitar signal, because I can hear it with headphones using an output from the box, and I see the meter moving on the Delta Audio Control Panel.

With Tracktion loaded, and the m-audio ASIO selected as the input/output, I can still hear the guitar through the headphones, but no meters in Traction move. With a backing track loaded in Tracktion, I see meters moving- but no sound. When I select Direct Sound as the sound card in Traction, I hear the backing track, but no guitar.

SO- using Tracktion, does anyone know how I can hear BOTH the backing track AND guitar (again, I haven't been able to hear the guitar at all through Tracktion). I think I've been through every possible setting. Ableton Live came loaded with the Delta card, but Tracktion seems a bit more user friendly. Anyone know what I could possibly be doing wrong. TIA.

PC: quad-core 3.0 Ghz 2 gigs ram, SATA-7200 rpm HD, XP SP3. I'm losing my mind, having been up all night with this.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/31/2009 1:03 am
It's just an idea ?
but have you tried disabling the sound card in your PC ?

To be honest I've was using the M-Audio black box with it's own sound card and it was loads of grief - I ended up scrapping the usb connection and just just using the audio output through a mixer and into the Mic input
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/31/2009 3:10 am
Originally Posted by: GramboIt's just an idea ?
but have you tried disabling the sound card in your PC ?

To be honest I've was using the M-Audio black box with it's own sound card and it was loads of grief - I ended up scrapping the usb connection and just just using the audio output through a mixer and into the Mic input

Hi Grambo-

Yes, I've disabled my onboard sound in both Device Manager, and the option from within Traction. I've since discovered something weird- within Traction, unless I have ALL sound preference enabled (Direct Sound, SoundMax, M-audio), I hear nothing. I've found the m-audio and Tracktion very counter-intuitive. I've scoured the net, and found- "once you figure out the m-audio, it's a great card"- not very helpful from where I am.

I know Traction isn't top of the line sequencer, but I can't see why I can't do some simple recording; well, I AM now able to do some simple recording, but I've read that I should be able to use pedals, or, say Amplitube to shape my sound, but no go there. What I hear and what I get are 2 different things. The VST plug-ins in Tracktion are lacking to put it mildly. No matter what I use, I simply get a dry guitar sound. I'm a real noob at recording, but I've had better results using Audacity and a usb interface, the Line 6 Toneport. I elected to go the dedicated sound-card route to cut down the line noise, which is what I have, but I find it useless if I get cheesy sounds with the plug ins. I'm losing my mind here. I don't know if I need a pre-amp, or make the giant leap to a mixer, which I'm loathe to do at this point in the game. I've spent the last 10 days going through the instructions on the m-audio card AND Traction. I've also tried Ableton as the host sequencer, but after 5 hrs of that, my brain went numb. Thanks for the input. I'd appreciate anything else if it comes to mind. I have thought of using the line-out of the toneport to the line in of the m-audio to see if I can capture the effects of the toneport (it's kinda like the POD, as far as effects). Thanks again.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/31/2009 3:40 am
I don't know if this is even remotely related to your problem, but I had kind of a similar thing trying to get my RP250 recording in some Reaper s/w. The pedal output midi, and it showed up as an input selection in reaper, but to get it to actually record, I had to select Stereo, not the Midi input.

I don't pretend to understand it and it was only a brief diversion at the time, so I never really sorted it out. But doing that made it record. You might want to try some "non-intuitive" options in Traction, and see what happens. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/31/2009 3:51 am
Hiya, Razbo,

Well, after going through both the Traction and m-audio manuals yet again, I'm doing everything "non-intuitive" I can think of- meaning, just randomly dis/enabling this and that.

I was thinking about Reaper, but I don't want to muck up my system which was just reformatted for a clean install of the OS. I want to start recording in baby steps before I drop money on mixers and more expensive software.

To be honest, I had much greater luck with just the TonePort and Audacity- but was getting a lot of line noise from the TonePort. I was hoping Traction was kind of a souped up Audacity- "what you hear is what you get"- but nope. And like I said, using Tracktion's plugins, really bite. So I'm just banging my head against the wall. Thanks, man.

# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/31/2009 12:17 pm
I'm not at all impressed with M- audio and buying a behringer pre-amp mixer was a really good move
It cost 40 pounds
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/31/2009 7:52 pm
Originally Posted by: GramboI'm not at all impressed with M- audio and buying a behringer pre-amp mixer was a really good move
It cost 40 pounds

Hi again, Grambo,

Can you tell me which model pre-amp you have? I've looked on line, and the price ranges (for Behringer mixers/pre-amps) from about $60 US to about $400.

Are you saying you have the pre-amp/mixer before a sound card? I was thinking I may need a pre-amp of some type to boost the signal.

Also, what do you use for effects, if any? Pedals, something software based?

Thanks again.

# 7
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/31/2009 9:12 pm
Yey, it's the behringer XENYX 502
I'm using the PC's soundcard
I'm using the M-audio black box as the effects which goes into the mixer and on into the Mic input
I'm using another output from the mixer into my guitar amp as a monitor

My microphone plugs straight into the mixer
# 8
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/31/2009 9:22 pm
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx#features

Click on 'feature list '.
# 9
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/31/2009 9:56 pm
Originally Posted by: GramboYey, it's the behringer XENYX 502
I'm using the PC's soundcard
I'm using the M-audio black box as the effects which goes into the mixer and on into the Mic input
I'm using another output from the mixer into my guitar amp as a monitor

My microphone plugs straight into the mixer

Wow, if I have the model right, that's the $60 US I saw. So you're happy with effects, etc I assume. I was using the TonePort's mic output to the in on my pc (before the dedicated Delta) to get the sound effects. Sounds like a plan.

One more question- have you ever tried using pedals with your setup? I've been able to put a couple pedals before my TonePort to good effect ('cept for the line noise). But for the price...looks good. Thanks much!

PS- I'd rep ya again, but I have to spread it around...

# 10
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/31/2009 10:01 pm
No I haven't tried pedals
There's 100 effects on the black box, which i'm still exploring
# 11
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/02/2009 8:52 am
Hi Silimtao. you might find on the Behringer that you have to use the same channels
IE: the output from my black box goes into the left side of channel 2 and the output goin in to the mic input also connects to left side of the mixer
Also: you might have to use the mic input on the Back of you PC _ something to do with stereo and mono - I think ?
# 12
antonskv
antonskv
06/10/2009 2:18 am
Silimtao,

Since you asked i figured to share what i use.

For effects i have a Boss ME-70 pedal which i just got recently, i stick it between my guitar and interface. It has a pre-amp and a decent output, so i haven't got a need to boost it.

It also works if you also stick an amp in between.

Guitar -> Amp -> pedal -> (line-in) on audio interface

And what i have used before i got the Boss ME-70, was GTR Solo, POD Farm and Fender AmpliTube. They are amp modulation software. If you had a Line6 TonePort you are familiar with such. My POD Studio UX1 has a instrument input, as most of audio interfaces do.

AmpliTube i have not used as much as GTR Solo.

GTR Solo works good, and its free for a year. Just go on their website and ask for year-for-free registration and download it.

I do agree with you... Line6 interfaces do sometimes give trouble with noise, these POD Studio GX/UX1/UX2 are better than their TonePort versions which were before them, but still you endup wishing you had something better.

I got mine to work pretty decently, but i will still get a FireWire interface when my financial situation will allow me to do so.

Good luck with recording.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.