March Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Fender Standard Telecaster

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/04/2009 9:47 pm
March Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Fender Standard Telecaster

The March contest is again sponsored by our good friends at Sweetwater.com.

The unique Sweetwater guitar gallery has actual photos of every guitar in stock. You can browse their huge selection and find guitars you never knew you needed :)

We are going to give the Standard Telecaster away to a lucky newsletter reader next week.

To register to win, just reply to this thread!

Please read the contest rules here:

http://www.guitartricks.com/giveaway.php

In order to win this prize, you must "enter" the contest by posting on this thread before Friday, March 13th.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/04/2009 11:34 pm

Fender Standard Telecaster
$690 MSRP

$549 at Sweetwater.com

People have very definite opinions about guitars, and even the best-intentioned will show some bias when reviewing a guitar.

So it might be useful for you to know my opinions/biases before we dive into the review of this mid-priced Fender Tele.

First, we have to talk about scale length.

Scale Length:

I have been playing guitar since the 70s. So you might be surprised to hear that I didn't care about scale length until this past year. But now it is a VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC in my mind. I guess you would say that I have come face to face with the decisions about tone that scale length forces you to make.

If you don't know what scale length is, let me explain.

Scale length is the distance from the bridge to the nut on your guitar.

You might think that every guitar is the same length from bridge to nut. You would be mistaken. They vary.

There are two main groups:

Fender guitar necks are generally 25.5 inches long.

Gibson guitar necks are generally 24.75 inches long.

So a Fender, like this Tele, has a neck that is 3/4 inch longer than the neck on a Gibson Les Paul.

So what does that mean and why does it matter?

The answer to this question comes from Steve White, the host of the Full Access feature "Ask a Guitar Tech" and the best guitar technician I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Steve explained it this way:

"On a longer neck, the strings have to be tightened more to produce the same note a shorter neck would produce at lower tension. This higher tension gives 25.5 neck guitars a twangy, well-defined low E string, which many people prefer to the way the low E string sounds on a 24.75 neck guitar. However, on the high E string, the opposite is true: people may find the longer neck produces high notes that are too shrill, and prefer the high notes from a shorter neck."

I told you all that just to say this: I am beginning to think that I prefer a longer 25.5 scale length guitar just like this Tele.

Ok, on to the review:

I have never seriously considered buying a Telecaster. I have wanted to have a Telecaster, but it has been down the list below a Les Paul and a Strat. I know that for many country and blues players, the Tele is the first choice in a guitar. But for me, being a rocker, my prejudice has been to think of it as a worthy second guitar.

This has been compounded by the situation I have noticed over the years, that there wasn't really a low-priced Telecaster. Every Tele I saw in a store was over $1000.

So after our reviews last year of several Les Paul models, and my knowledge of the many low-priced Stratocaster models from Fender, I thought for this year we should look for a lower priced Tele and see if there was such a thing, and give it a review.

So in the mail from Sweetwater comes this beautiful red "Midnight Wine" Tele.

Here's my initial reaction:

It comes with a gig bag. None of the Epiphones in this price range did. Nice touch. The bag has a Fender logo on it, and has both a handle and a set of backpack straps.

The guitar is beautiful. The wine-red stain is variated, showing off the solid alder body to good effect.

My initial impression is that the build quality is excellent. So is the factory setup.

The feel:

The neck is maple on both sides and very slippery and thin. It feels like you can travel the neck very quickly. Sometimes a maple neck seems lacquered, and sometimes a painted neck sort of sticks to your palm. Not the case here. Lots of mobility.

The action is low without being so low that you have to play delicately. I have been surprised by the different action on the different guitars I have tested. A good guitar tech can significantly change the action once you buy the guitar. However, when it arrives just the way you like it, so much the better.

The sound:

A Telecaster has two pickups, and a selector that allows you to play the bridge pickup, the neck pickup, or both together.

The neck pickup has that full twangy sound that people call "hollow" or "round." It is very gratifying. Definitely start there.

This guitar is fun to play. The hollow sound, and the slick maple neck, made me instantly think to dive into my bag of blues tricks.

I played some classic blues rhythms that a friend taught me years ago. I have embellished them with some in-rhythm leads and of course some turnarounds. This guitar made it easy to bring those alive, and the turnarounds sound very sweet with the pickup selector in the neck position.

The bridge pickup has a brighter sound. Much brighter. I test these guitars through Native Instruments Guitar Rig (an amp simulator) and use the stock amp settings so I don't get too distracted and can test a variety of "simulated" amps. I found the bridge pickup a bit too bright for these settings.

It could be that Steve White would recommend adjusting the pickup down a bit to take the edge off. Alternatively, you could adjust the amp settings. The amp settings might be overly bright in the first place. But they work great with the bridge pickup setting.

The in-between setting gives the combined sound of both pickups. This has the effect of giving you the twangy hollow sound of the neck setting, just a bit brighter. It works well.

Overall:

I was very impressed with this guitar. I hadn't really expected to like it so much. J.D. Jarrell (one of our country instructors) always talks about his Tele, and so I was curious to see if there was something I was missing in overlooking this guitar. It turns out there was.

I may have to bring my Strat into the office to have a showdown with this Tele before we give it away. I still have one more week to go....

Just reply to this thread before Friday March 13th to enter the contest.

We'll ship this guitar to one lucky reader after we pick the winner.

Good luck!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/04/2009 11:39 pm
Special Message for Non-US Members

We deeply regret that we cannot ship contest prizes outside the U.S.

Customs, tariffs, and shipping prevent merchandise from being shipped reasonably between countries.

That is the reason why U.S. music stores like www.sweetwater.com cannot sell to musicians in other countries, even as close as Canada.

We originally intended this contest to be run by Ren in the U.K. but we found that just shipping him the gear was so problematic that it would cost more than the contest itself.

Please accept our apologies for making this a U.S. only contest.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
Petedc
Petedc
03/06/2009 1:41 pm
entering contest
# 4
jjl
jjl
03/06/2009 1:44 pm
Looks sweet. Entering contest.
# 5
jgpeeples
JGPeeples
jgpeeples
JGPeeples
03/06/2009 1:50 pm
I have always wanted a Tele! This one looks just like what I want. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

JGPeeples

Take a listen: http://www.purevolume.com/jgpeeples
# 6
TINGOD63
TINGOD63
03/06/2009 1:57 pm
always played a les paul would love the change to single coils thanks
# 7
Taylor Caster
Taylor Caster
03/06/2009 1:58 pm
I love the neck, it blends so well with the guitar.
# 8
giuseppe
giuseppe
03/06/2009 2:09 pm
Sometimes less IS more ! Love Teles
# 9
mebrown
mebrown
03/06/2009 2:11 pm
nice looking guitar. I have played one that a friend has and been looking to buy one; maybe I won't have to???
# 10
cavecc6578
cavecc6578
Great review...please enter me into the contest...thank you!
# 11
John Klein
John Klein
Entering contest...nice guitar!
JK
# 12
azndn9
azndn9
03/06/2009 2:12 pm
Hi Jan sign me up to win!
Originally Posted by: Jon Broderick

Fender Standard Telecaster
$690 MSRP

$549 at Sweetwater.com

People have very definite opinions about guitars, and even the best-intentioned will show some bias when reviewing a guitar.

So it might be useful for you to know my opinions/biases before we dive into the review of this mid-priced Fender Tele.

First, we have to talk about scale length.

Scale Length:

I have been playing guitar since the 70s. So you might be surprised to hear that I didn't care about scale length until this past year. But now it is a VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC in my mind. I guess you would say that I have come face to face with the decisions about tone that scale length forces you to make.

If you don't know what scale length is, let me explain.

Scale length is the distance from the bridge to the nut on your guitar.

You might think that every guitar is the same length from bridge to nut. You would be mistaken. They vary.

There are two main groups:

Fender guitar necks are generally 25.5 inches long.

Gibson guitar necks are generally 24.75 inches long.

So a Fender, like this Tele, has a neck that is 3/4 inch longer than the neck on a Gibson Les Paul.

So what does that mean and why does it matter?

The answer to this question comes from Steve White, the host of the Full Access feature "Ask a Guitar Tech" and the best guitar technician I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Steve explained it this way:

I told you all that just to say this: I am beginning to think that I prefer a longer 25.5 scale length guitar just like this Tele.

Ok, on to the review:

I have never seriously considered buying a Telecaster. I have wanted to have a Telecaster, but it has been down the list below a Les Paul and a Strat. I know that for many country and blues players, the Tele is the first choice in a guitar. But for me, being a rocker, my prejudice has been to think of it as a worthy second guitar.

This has been compounded by the situation I have noticed over the years, that there wasn't really a low-priced Telecaster. Every Tele I saw in a store was over $1000.

So after our reviews last year of several Les Paul models, and my knowledge of the many low-priced Stratocaster models from Fender, I thought for this year we should look for a lower priced Tele and see if there was such a thing, and give it a review.

So in the mail from Sweetwater comes this beautiful red "Midnight Wine" Tele.

Here's my initial reaction:

It comes with a gig bag. None of the Epiphones in this price range did. Nice touch. The bag has a Fender logo on it, and has both a handle and a set of backpack straps.

The guitar is beautiful. The wine-red stain is variated, showing off the solid alder body to good effect.

My initial impression is that the build quality is excellent. So is the factory setup.

The feel:

The neck is maple on both sides and very slippery and thin. It feels like you can travel the neck very quickly. Sometimes a maple neck seems lacquered, and sometimes a painted neck sort of sticks to your palm. Not the case here. Lots of mobility.

The action is low without being so low that you have to play delicately. I have been surprised by the different action on the different guitars I have tested. A good guitar tech can significantly change the action once you buy the guitar. However, when it arrives just the way you like it, so much the better.

The sound:

A Telecaster has two pickups, and a selector that allows you to play the bridge pickup, the neck pickup, or both together.

The neck pickup has that full twangy sound that people call "hollow" or "round." It is very gratifying. Definitely start there.

This guitar is fun to play. The hollow sound, and the slick maple neck, made me instantly think to dive into my bag of blues tricks.

I played some classic blues rhythms that a friend taught me years ago. I have embellished them with some in-rhythm leads and of course some turnarounds. This guitar made it easy to bring those alive, and the turnarounds sound very sweet with the pickup selector in the neck position.

The bridge pickup has a brighter sound. Much brighter. I test these guitars through Native Instruments Guitar Rig (an amp simulator) and use the stock amp settings so I don't get too distracted and can test a variety of "simulated" amps. I found the bridge pickup a bit too bright for these settings.

It could be that Steve White would recommend adjusting the pickup down a bit to take the edge off. Alternatively, you could adjust the amp settings. The amp settings might be overly bright in the first place. But they work great with the bridge pickup setting.

The in-between setting gives the combined sound of both pickups. This has the effect of giving you the twangy hollow sound of the neck setting, just a bit brighter. It works well.

Overall:

I was very impressed with this guitar. I hadn't really expected to like it so much. J.D. Jarrell (one of our country instructors) always talks about his Tele, and so I was curious to see if there was something I was missing in overlooking this guitar. It turns out there was.

I may have to bring my Strat into the office to have a showdown with this Tele before we give it away. I still have one more week to go....

Just reply to this thread before Friday March 13th to enter the contest.

We'll ship this guitar to one lucky reader after we pick the winner.

Good luck!

# 13
highplains
highplains
03/06/2009 2:13 pm
I think the reviewer has the Telecaster pickup sounds confused. "Twang" comes from the bridge, not the neck. The neck pickup produces a more muted, mellow sound. The bridge produces Buck Owens type twang.
# 14
feliperipa
feliperipa
03/06/2009 2:19 pm
it lookes beautiful...entering the contest...
# 15
mikevanarsdale
mikevanarsdale
03/06/2009 2:20 pm
This would be a great addition to my "arsenal" of guitars (which consists of one Breedlove acoustic).
# 16
kukevin
kukevin
03/06/2009 2:23 pm
I have always wanted to give a telecaster a try.
# 17
popheadpoepie
popheadpoepie
03/06/2009 2:25 pm
nice authentic sound,
# 18
rigjamn
Full Access
rigjamn
Full Access
03/06/2009 2:26 pm
The Telcaster looks like a nice guitar. I don't have much experience with one, but I would like to win this sweepstakes.

Thanks for the oppotunity
# 19
dancingskeleton
dancingskeleton
03/06/2009 2:32 pm
:eek: Great review. I own a washburn x series, but it is definitely nothing compared to a fender tele. It would be great to win this. :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.