November Backing Track Preview.

equator
equator
11/02/2008 4:38 pm
Hey guys I made a backing track about a month ago and I upload it to Youtube.

We could use it for this month’s assignment if you guys want.
I have the MP3 ready to go, just let me know if you are interested and I will upload the MP3 and provide you the direct link.

Watching the video you get a chance to see how I make my backing tracks using FL Studio 7. :cool:
Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwmwBIUcmM

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
11/03/2008 8:43 am
Hey man,

You know if you buy FL Studio, you get lifetime free updates, so you should be onto FL Studio 8 by now!
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/03/2008 2:20 pm
Great backing man and cool presentation - you video that with a camera or use a software to capture the onscreen? I'll play over this one anyway;-)
# 3
equator
equator
11/03/2008 2:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersHey man,

You know if you buy FL Studio, you get lifetime free updates, so you should be onto FL Studio 8 by now!

Not really, I bought the boxed version and I have to pay about $30 if I want the update.
I wasn’t impressed with the previous updates but version 8 looks interesting.
I’ll think about it.

equator's Music Page.

# 4
equator
equator
11/03/2008 2:36 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanGreat backing man and cool presentation - you video that with a camera or use a software to capture the onscreen? I'll play over this one anyway;-)

I used a screen recorder software called CamStudio.
I know that the backing is nothing complicated, it is rather simple and straight forward.
But it is open and friendly to people of all levels. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 5
mpaq
mpaq
11/03/2008 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorHey guys I made a backing track about a month ago and I upload it to Youtube.

We could use it for this month’s assignment if you guys want.
I have the MP3 ready to go, just let me know if you are interested and I will upload the MP3 and provide you the direct link.

Watching the video you get a chance to see how I make my backing tracks using FL Studio 7. :cool:
Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwmwBIUcmM

Sounds good! If you could post it up along with the key and chord changes that would be great.....thanks for keeping the thread going!
# 6
equator
equator
11/03/2008 5:48 pm
Ok guys.
The key is D minor.
The tempo is 80 bpm.
Chord progression: Dm add9 - Bbmaj add9 - Gm add9 - Cmaj add9.

You can pretty much experiment with different scales and throw in your favorite blues/rock licks.

-Minor Harmonic Scale over the Dm chord?
-Why not.

-Dorian licks?
-Sure.

-Syncopated phrases using Neapolitan Minor, Hirojoshi, Kumoi, Enigmatic Minor?
- ha? What? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Download the MP3, fire up your recording software, hit the record button and play from within your soul; or just scratch your pick on the strings, but let’s get this thing going.

Right click and save as...

Dm add9 backing track MP3

equator's Music Page.

# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/03/2008 7:32 pm
Cheer bro, downloaded and ready for importing to Cubase. Where do you get the names for these scales?? :) I think I'll actually look some of them up this time, Hirojoshi is Japanese anyway so that sounds like a good place to start plus I liked the sound of the Neopolitan one you used last time.
Thanks for the track, will post something back when I get around to it.
# 8
equator
equator
11/03/2008 7:57 pm
I was joking. :D
But, I did spend months studying weird scales and what chords work well with them.
The hard thing is to create melodies with those scales. IMO
But, if you manage to get the right feel in a moment of inspiration, you certainly will turn some heads.

Can’t wait to hear what you come up with this month.

equator's Music Page.

# 9
mpaq
mpaq
11/04/2008 5:36 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorOk guys.
The key is D minor.
The tempo is 80 bpm.
Chord progression: Dm add9 - Bbmaj add9 - Gm add9 - Cmaj add9.

You can pretty much experiment with different scales and throw in your favorite blues/rock licks.

-Minor Harmonic Scale over the Dm chord?
-Why not.

-Dorian licks?
-Sure.

-Syncopated phrases using Neapolitan Minor, Hirojoshi, Kumoi, Enigmatic Minor?
- ha? What? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Download the MP3, fire up your recording software, hit the record button and play from within your soul; or just scratch your pick on the strings, but let’s get this thing going.

Right click and save as...

Dm add9 backing track MP3

OK, so let me see if i get this. I'm playing in the key of Dmin which is the relative minor of Fmaj. So my scale notes are D,E,F,G,A,Bflat,C.
If I want to play the Dorian mode, I start on the second interval and play the scale notes of E,F,G,A,Bflat,C,D.
If I wanted to play the Lydian mode (4th mode) i would start on the G and go up from there.....is this right?
# 10
equator
equator
11/04/2008 6:09 pm
If you have a Dm chord playing on the back.
You can play different scales over it to bring up distinct “flavors”.

The D minor Scale or D Aeolian has the notes: (D - E - F - G - A - Bb - C) which are relative to the F major scale.

If you want to play a D Dorian you play the notes: (D - E - F - G - A - B - C) which are relative to the C major scale.

If you really want to understand the Modes and be able to used them, you should stop thinking of them as a major scale starting on a different degree.

Instead you should think of them as separate scales with their own step structure and interval types.
Trust me, I didn’t understand the whole modes thing until I realized that they are scales on their own right.

I’ll be glad to give you some guidance if you start a thread in the Music Theory section of the forums. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 11
mpaq
mpaq
11/04/2008 6:34 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorIf you have a Dm chord playing on the back.
You can play different scales over it to bring up distinct “flavors”.

The D minor Scale or D Aeolian has the notes: (D - E - F - G - A - Bb - C) which are relative to the F major scale.

If you want to play a D Dorian you play the notes: (D - E - F - G - A - B - C) which are relative to the C major scale.

If you really want to understand the Modes and be able to used them, you should stop thinking of them as a major scale starting on a different degree.

Instead you should think of them as separate scales with their own step structure and interval types.
Trust me, I didn’t understand the whole modes thing until I realized that they are scales on their own right.

I’ll be glad to give you some guidance if you start a thread in the Music Theory section of the forums. :)

k thxs i posted over there so I dont clutter up this
# 12
mpaq
mpaq
11/09/2008 6:12 pm
Ok here's my first take. This was recorded direct using Audacity and the speaker simulation setting in my preamp. I'm in the process of re-doing this in CuBase, and direct micing of my amp but thought I'd post this now so you guys can give me some pointers....Mpaq's music page
# 13
equator
equator
11/10/2008 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: mpaqOk here's my first take. This was recorded direct using Audacity and the speaker simulation setting in my preamp. I'm in the process of re-doing this in CuBase, and direct micing of my amp but thought I'd post this now so you guys can give me some pointers....Mpaq's music page

Good job, bro.
Excellent tone, good mix, all the right notes.

The only thing that sounded odd is after the bass fill. You started a little out of tempo and there is a gap between the end of the bass fill and the second verse. IMO
Also, there is another gap in the third verse. If you connect those two sections it would sound much better.

I May be wrong, let’s hear what the other guys think. ;)
But, it sounds good overall.
Nice take, keep up the good work. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 14
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/10/2008 9:51 am
Hey fellas, havent done anything on this one yet but will be free to start on it after tomorrow - I've got some professional exams that I have to get out of the way first. Will post back with feedback etc.
# 15
mpaq
mpaq
11/10/2008 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorGood job, bro.
Excellent tone, good mix, all the right notes.

The only thing that sounded odd is after the bass fill. You started a little out of tempo and there is a gap between the end of the bass fill and the second verse. IMO
Also, there is another gap in the third verse. If you connect those two sections it would sound much better.

I May be wrong, let’s hear what the other guys think. ;)
But, it sounds good overall.
Nice take, keep up the good work. :)

thanks man, appreciate the feedback. My thinking with the first gap was to faciliate a transition with the pickup change. The others were just to break it up a little, i have a tendency to run on with the same patterns.
# 16
equator
equator
11/12/2008 12:29 am
Hey guys.
Here is my take, I would like to hear some feedback on this track.
I decided to title it “Hoshiyomi”

Right click and Save as…

equator

Gear used: Fender Strat> Boss DS-1> Line 6 Spider II amp> Xenyx802 mixer.

Thanks for listening. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/12/2008 2:54 pm
Started playing over this last night for the first time, great BT although the drum section left me at a bit of a loss which is great because it's a challenge.

Equator, I had one listen through to your first take - sounds good but there may be an intonation problem on your guitar... some notes sound ever so slightly sharp, maybe it's just me (I've noticed this before on your takes off the higher sustained notes).

I've been listening to you improving as a player over the past year or two and there is probably two last things that you could work on re the technical end of things. I would practice vibratto and introducing it at varying degrees to every sustained note - try it slower and wider (it will also help reduce any intonation issues). The only other suggestion is to practice sliding into and out of notes, this really adds a pro sound.
You've got some really cool ideas in pretty much all of your takes, I reckon just adding those two techniques would make a HUGE difference to your playing.

Hope you don't mind the constructive crits, I just think you would move up a few levels over night if you focussed on incorporating more vibrato and advanced slides - the music is all good and so is every other aspect of the playing!

I can post/email you an example of what I mean if you are interested (I really loved the opening phrases in your October take and recorded a version of the same which I was planning on sending you anyway with some tips).
# 18
mpaq
mpaq
11/12/2008 3:08 pm
Nicely done Equator...enjoyed it alot. I like the way you played over the drums around the 1:25 mark as a lead into your finish.
I shortened the track up there and left a pause in mine, but your right, it does sound better playing through.

The drums give this track a militaristic feel and your choice of notes with the minor chords give a really nice somber feel....coincindental around remembrance day or did you plan this track?
Really liked your phrasing at 1:33 and the run at 1:48 leading into the finish. Very nice.
# 19
equator
equator
11/12/2008 3:52 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate your great comments.

Superhuman. You are absolutely right about the bad intonation on my guitar. I’ve had that problem since about two years ago.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I really need a new guitar.
The whammy bar broke and part of it is still inside the bridge, the fretboard is pretty much old, I do apply vibrato to my playing; but it doesn’t matter how hard I try, the guitar just doesn’t respond. :o

My other guitar needs pickups. (I took them apart to replace them)

Thanks for all the advise, I take all your comments ’cause I know they will make me a better player.
Please, send me the examples when you can if you don’t mind doing that for me.
And I would love to hear your version of last month’s assignment. :)

Mpaq. Thanks for listening and commenting on my take. Really appreciate it. ;)

There is a chord progression example in John Petrucci’s book, relating to add 9 chords.
I took that example and decided to create a complete backing track, I thought that the drum pattern I chose worked well, and I left two sections where you can be creative. (the bass fill and the drum rhythm solo)

Once again, thanks guys.

equator's Music Page.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.