November Backing Track Preview.

WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/20/2008 6:53 am
A quick throw together, nothing original or exciting. I was also a bit thrown by the drum part, I just threw a bass solo in... well, its a guitar isn't it...? :o

Now I can listen to the others...

WrigglerUk
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 1
equator
equator
11/20/2008 2:00 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkA quick throw together, nothing original or exciting. I was also a bit thrown by the drum part, I just threw a bass solo in... well, its a guitar isn't it...? :o

Now I can listen to the others...

WrigglerUk

Nice take. You are improving your skills every month. :)
Good to hear you playing out of the box scales and steering away from pentatonic clichés.
Just a few minor observations: ;)

The first guitar track (clean guitar) sounds a little too loud and dry. You could try adding a reverb and/or delay VST to give it some atmosphere, and then bring the volume down until it matches the level of the distorted guitar. (loved that tone by the way)

The title of your song (Zero Latitude) is a pun on my users name uh? :D
There was an Ecuadorian band in the 90’s, in the Rock en español genre. They went by the name of Latitud Cero, and they had a couple of hit songs down there in Ecuador, haven’t heard of them ever since.

Oh yeah, good job on the bass part too.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/20/2008 5:19 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorNice take. You are improving your skills every month. :)
Good to hear you playing out of the box scales and steering away from pentatonic clichés.
Just a few minor observations: ;)

The first guitar track (clean guitar) sounds a little too loud and dry. You could try adding a reverb and/or delay VST to give it some atmosphere, and then bring the volume down until it matches the level of the distorted guitar. (loved that tone by the way)

The title of your song (Zero Latitude) is a pun on my users name uh? :D
There was an Ecuadorian band in the 90’s, in the Rock en español genre. They went by the name of Latitud Cero, and they had a couple of hit songs down there in Ecuador, haven’t heard of them ever since.

Oh yeah, good job on the bass part too.

Thanks for listening. I dunno about improving... Technically I dont think I'm going anywhere fast, I haven't the focus to practice... I hope things like phrasing and choice of notes are getting better though!

Took your advice and re-mixed to level out the 3 tracks of the take, added just a touch of room verb. The soundclick link is the same.
Just for interest this link is to the 320Kps version ( right click, save as... )
WrigglerUk high bitrate
Mpaq - I did like the tone you got there, it was just too loud for the track. Some nice phrases and good use of the tone range. The gaps were a bit too obvious though. Some good ideas though - I think you could easily make that into something very good indeed.

Equator - Very cool sound. I dont know what scale that was but you got some really interesting ideas that still didn't stray too far from the ambience of the track. I did also notice the intonation thing but I can talk... 3 saddle Tele and all! :( I liked the ending too.
Oh yeah - interesting info about the band! Presumably the genre is kind of Latin rock rhythms and so? Cliche, but of course I immediately think Santana, there must be so many other exponents of the style that we generally don't hear ( specially in the UK )

# 3
mpaq
mpaq
11/20/2008 5:41 pm
[QUOTE=Mpaq - I did like the tone you got there, it was just too loud for the track. Some nice phrases and good use of the tone range. The gaps were a bit too obvious though. Some good ideas though - I think you could easily make that into something very good indeed./QUOTE]

thanks Steve...yea those gaps threw me so i just shortended them up and ignored them for now. Im trying to learn Cubase so maybe will do a retake and will remix the volume levels as well.
# 4
equator
equator
11/20/2008 6:55 pm
WrigglerUk. That sounds much better and my ears can appreciate the higher bit rate. :)
Just one thing more and you are done…the master level (not the individual tracks) needs to come down a bit.
Make sure that the volume indicator doesn’t go into the red light. (The dreaded clipping zone) :rolleyes:

I know that each DAW has a different limit when it comes to indicating when the audio goes into the clipping zone.
But Reaper, Cubase and Pro tools are pretty much accurate and so you should use their limit as the standard in your mixing works.

Ok people, now I give you the entries submitted so far. Enjoy.

mpaq. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789879&content=music

equator. http://c.ilike.com/d/0000/337/0000337464.mp3?fn=Fredi%20Bravo-Hoshiyomi.mp3

WrigglerUk. http://www.webng.com/wriggleruk/Zero%20Latitude.mp3

equator's Music Page.

# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/26/2008 6:33 am
I will try to do something after thanksgiving. Don't hold me to it. :o
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/26/2008 11:45 am
I've done a bit on it but have been so busy the last two weeks that I havent had a chance to get into my studio. Plan on getting something in on time though but it probably won't be very 'structured'.
# 7
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
11/30/2008 1:59 am
I gave this one a bunch of tries but I just couldn't come up with anything, that drum section just keeps throwing me off.. so nothing from me this month I'm afraid..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
11/30/2008 7:52 pm
Hey guys. That's a beautiful BT as usual, equator. I just bought an electrical classical on Friday, came here to see if there was a BT, and thought I may as well try to lay a track down. Here is my first take. I have a stealthplug now, and not quite used to it, but anyway, here it is. I've tried subsequent takes, but for some reason I've lost the pre-set I had- everything else thereafter just doesn't sound like a classical guitar. Nothing fancy, no modes (that I know of), just jamming away. All comments appreciated of course. Want to try another couple of takes, but I just can't get the proper tone down.

Equipment used: Stealthplug, Audacity, Ibanez classical electric.

This will be my final, if I don't come up with something better by the deadline

One more time:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7107271
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 9
equator
equator
12/01/2008 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHey guys. That's a beautiful BT as usual, equator. I just bought an electrical classical on Friday, came here to see if there was a BT, and thought I may as well try to lay a track down. Here is my first take. I have a stealthplug now, and not quite used to it, but anyway, here it is. I've tried subsequent takes, but for some reason I've lost the pre-set I had- everything else thereafter just doesn't sound like a classical guitar. Nothing fancy, no modes (that I know of), just jamming away. All comments appreciated of course. Want to try another couple of takes, but I just can't get the proper tone down.

Equipment used: Stealthplug, Audacity, Ibanez classical electric.

This will be my final, if I don't come up with something better by the deadline

One more time:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7107271

Wow, nice take man.
Loved the intro and the beautiful tone.
It has this kind of “free flow” feel to it.
Very nice! :)

equator's Music Page.

# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
12/02/2008 2:00 am
Originally Posted by: equatorWow, nice take man.
Loved the intro and the beautiful tone.
It has this kind of “free flow” feel to it.
Very nice! :)

Thanks man. I've read through the posts, but haven't listened to anyone else yet (the night's not over, so you never know, lol).

It was a real bear playing the classical, as I was just getting used to it, and man, you have no idea how I had to really hammer the strings to get the sound out. I really didn't know where I was going to go with your BT, but the classical guitar just kinda made me want to get kind of a "Spanish" feel to the solo- I don't know if it came out or not. The drum part kind of hung me up at first; I was tempted to pull out my Tele and wail, but I have enough trouble recording, being a noob at it. So I just played through it- it was only drums, so there couldn't be any "wrong" notes, right? I know I wasn't on the beat in many places, and I didn't go to the lower registers much because my fretting hand was soooo fatigued by then. I kinda stayed "in the box" because there aren't fret markers on the fretboard, and I'm not used to looking at the dot markers on the edge of the neck. That, and getting used to the wider neck. Anyway, I like discussing the creative process. I wanted to come up with something dramatic. When I solo, I usually visualize pictures or an emotion. I like minor keys because they really lend themselves to emotional stuff, imo. Anyway, I'll try to give everyone else's tracks by tomorrow; if I feel I have anything worthwhile to say, I will. I'm still obsessing over the missed notes I wanted to play...but didn't. Another great BT. Glad I stopped in when I did.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/02/2008 11:04 am
Still havent got track down - havent been able to get into my studio in weeks now because of sick babies. I'm going to give it a shot tonight, hope you keep it open for another 24 hrs!
# 12
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
12/02/2008 8:55 pm
Silimtao - nice one! A very different approach that works well. Did you finger pick that - if so, I'm impressed! ( i'm impressed anyway... )

I've got an electro-classical as well, and it's a bugger to record, it just sounds hollow and metallic with tinny overtones. Yours had the same kind of effect, but much less so, I guess a better pickup. I just play mine unplugged, if I want to record it, I use a mic.

# 13
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/02/2008 11:40 pm
I tried but I just can't get to my studio this time around guys, pity because I thought it was a great backing track - had some nice ideas but no time to lay them down.
# 14
Silimtao
Silimtao
12/03/2008 1:42 am
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkSilimtao - nice one! A very different approach that works well. Did you finger pick that - if so, I'm impressed! ( i'm impressed anyway... )

I've got an electro-classical as well, and it's a bugger to record, it just sounds hollow and metallic with tinny overtones. Yours had the same kind of effect, but much less so, I guess a better pickup. I just play mine unplugged, if I want to record it, I use a mic.

Hi Wriggler,

Thanks for your kind words! I fingerpicked part of it, as I'm a hybrid picker, but I tried as much as possible to fingerpick as much as possible for the "flamenco feel"- that's when you hear me off the beat many times, I had to play catch up with my pick. The fast trill at the end was with a pick- I'm not Paco de Lucia, lol. I also was hoping to record the nail scrape, but you really can't hear that. Yeah, I had a real hard time boosting my treble, and the damn thing sounds like a sitar in some places because it was then boosted too much and I couldn't find a happy medium. I was going to do another take, as I felt I left some good riffs on other tracks, but I got locked out of here, and spent the last 2 1/2 hrs. trying to get back in. I just went to my desktop to login, and I'm getting the same error message, so I'm too tired to do another take. Glad you liked it. I've yet to listen to anyone else yet.

Edit: Gaaaah! I had a cleaner track in my mind, but with same theme, and my hands feel fresh, but I was booted offline and GT tech support just got me back....guess it was meant to be. Haven't even had dinner! Grrrr....

# 15
equator
equator
12/03/2008 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanI tried but I just can't get to my studio this time around guys, pity because I thought it was a great backing track - had some nice ideas but no time to lay them down.

Well, since we don’t have a backing track for the December assignment yet; everybody is welcome to submit a solo.

Come on Dave, get in your studio tonight, grab some of those green bottles with fermented stuff in them and let us hear your talent. :D

equator's Music Page.

# 16
Silimtao
Silimtao
12/06/2008 6:29 pm
Can someone please reply to this- anything? GT is still working on my account; I'm not receiving email notifications. thanks!

# 17
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
12/07/2008 9:47 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoCan someone please reply to this- anything? GT is still working on my account; I'm not receiving email notifications. thanks!

Consider it replied to! :)

# 18
Silimtao
Silimtao
12/07/2008 6:47 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkConsider it replied to! :)

Thanks, Wriggler. Just got it, and when I tried logging in, I was getting a "slow server" message and had a problem logging in. Dunno what's up, but thanks!

# 19
mpaq
mpaq
12/14/2008 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorWell, since we don’t have a backing track for the December assignment yet; everybody is welcome to submit a solo.

Come on Dave, get in your studio tonight, grab some of those green bottles with fermented stuff in them and let us hear your talent. :D

OK heres my solo. It's an original collaboration (work in progress) between me and a friend. It's not complete, as you will notice by the bridge at the end that I just faded out for now. The vocals are a placeholder for structure, sung by Michael Billik who also does the bass guitar and mixdown. I do all the guitars and just had to add the cowbell as a tribute to the infamous SNL skit. :D
Since we dont have a December backer, I can post this with just the bass, drums and rythym guitar if anyone wants to have a go at it. Would be interesting to see someone else's take on it. As always, comments and critique welcomed...128k bit rate im afraid, on Soundclick
MPAQ's Rock mix
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.