Interactive fretboard with sound

rottenyellow
rottenyellow
08/30/2008 10:28 pm
Thought somebody might find it useful:

http://riffoholic.com
[FONT=Verdana]scaleRef.com - Interactive Fretboard Online [Scale Reference][/FONT]
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/30/2008 11:55 pm
This is nice. I'm a pin it in the links section.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/31/2008 2:45 am
Wow.. great link man. I have made that a favourite. I like how you can tune the strings as well and see where the scales move to.. and the octave highlighting as well.. all very very useful stuff.. even when I am stuck for an idea, I am sure I will be pulling this page up.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
rottenyellow
rottenyellow
08/31/2008 3:08 am
Thanks! If you have any requests what you would like me to add to this tool, let me know!
[FONT=Verdana]scaleRef.com - Interactive Fretboard Online [Scale Reference][/FONT]
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/31/2008 7:34 am
I already left feedback/suggestions :) hehe
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/05/2008 12:33 pm
One of the more useful guitars tools I've seen online. Well done and thanks for sharing the link!

A couple of suggestions to make it more user friendly:

2) For each of the scales you could also have the modes colour coded (possibly to appear if you click on the root note of the mode) - when I look at the key of E for example the notes in the key come up all over the fretboard.

2) Although I can play guitar I know little about theory so I don't know what an interval is... I wouldnt know how to tie in the relevance by clicking the interval button. Maybe a brief explanation of basic theory behind the buttons might make the whole thing easier to use.

3) Explaining the various scales in detail wouldnt be necessary but an add-on that would allow you to input the chords you are using to provide the names of relevant scales would finish the software off and make it one of the best resources online.
# 6
equator
equator
09/05/2008 5:27 pm
Thanks for sharing such a useful tool.

Suggestions:
*Next to the name of the scale write its numeric formula. Example: Lydian (1-2-3-#4-5-6-7)
*Show where the Natural Harmonics are with their respective pitches.

Observations:
*Some notes in the scales are misspelled; for instance:
G Ionian has a F# not a Gb.
D Ionian has F# and C#, not Gb and Db.
Etc, etc.

I know that your interactive fretboard is showing the enharmonic equivalents; but for reference studies it should display the correct spelling of the notes in any given scale. :)

One again, thanks for sharing this tool. :cool:

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 7
rottenyellow
rottenyellow
09/05/2008 7:34 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by: Superhuman
For each of the scales you could also have the modes colour coded (possibly to appear if you click on the root note of the mode) - when I look at the key of E for example the notes in the key come up all over the fretboard.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not clear what you mean. You want each scale pattern to be colored or not to show all over the fretboard, just one place one octave?

Originally Posted by: Superhuman
Explaining the various scales in detail wouldnt be necessary but an add-on that would allow you to input the chords you are using to provide the names of relevant scales would finish the software off and make it one of the best resources online.

Thats a great idea, but it would take some time to add this feature. I got a big list so far what needs to be added, but thats something I'm looking forward to add in the feature.

[QUOTE=equator]
*Show where the Natural Harmonics are with their respective pitches.

Observations:
Etc, etc.

I'm not to clear about natural harmonics ether. If you could give me an example that would be great. I will fix the misspellings, thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks!
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/06/2008 1:31 pm
Originally Posted by: rottenyellow

I'm not clear what you mean. You want each scale pattern to be colored or not to show all over the fretboard, just one place one octave?

Eg you click E minor and you get the fretboard with all of the notes in E minor. If you want to play a certain mode, you click the root note eg F and you get the mode that begins with F (in the key of A minor). It would be a hell of a lot easier than having to look up Lochrian or whatever the hell the mode is called and would really help beginners to demystify the whole concept of theory. Click the root note that you want to start your solo on or whatever and the scale positions for that mode turn blue or orange - you can still see the rest of the fretboard which would have the notes for the key highlighted. Hard to explain plus I can't explain theory even though I understand it in my own way... hope that makes sense!
# 9
LChance
LChance
09/06/2008 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: equator
Observations:
Etc, etc.

Isn't F# and Gb the same? As is C# and Db?
# 10
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/06/2008 10:35 pm
Yes.. Gb is F#.. no difference.. but most guitarists use #'s not b's.

There is a selection at the top if you want to use b's, or if you want to use #'s. So I think equator might have hit the b selection and not realised, so that all the notes are displayed in terms of b's rather than in terms of #'s.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 11
LChance
LChance
09/06/2008 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Yes.. Gb is F#.. no difference.. but most guitarists use #'s not b's.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but you sparked a question Light....

When I was taught the notes of the fretboard to memorize, I was told there was a Bb and Eb. (A, Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G & G#). Is this not how [u]most[/u] guitarists do it? I'm still learning here.
# 12
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/07/2008 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: LChanceSorry for hijacking this thread, but you sparked a question Light....

When I was taught the notes of the fretboard to memorize, I was told there was a Bb and Eb. (A, Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G & G#). Is this not how [u]most[/u] guitarists do it? I'm still learning here.

Depends on your instructor I guess.. I know that when I went to school, a long time ago, and they taught the notes it was always in flats. We were told that sharps are the reverse etc.. but always talked about the music in terms of flats. Whenever I have a conversation with another guitarist it is always in terms of sharps.. it's not that it has to be one way or the other, it just comes down to "talking the language that people understand".. if they understand in terms of flats, I will talk in flats... When I read sheet music, flats always throw me even though I know it's just the reverse..

The only time I use a flat and a sharp in the same scale is if the scale has two of the same letters in it. Like the F Major scale
F G A A# C D E (using just #'s)
F G A Bb C D E (using the b so there's not 2 A's)

Probably not the best example but you know what I mean...
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 13
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/07/2008 7:37 pm
I learnt piano for years and the difference between flats and sharps is very clearly defined. Yes a Gb is the same note as an F# but if you want to learn the scales as they are intended to be learnt then you should make the distinction between flats and sharps. You would never be able to properly site read without learning the scales with flats and sharps as they indicate the key you are playing in and are mared beside the clef. From what I remember it's only the naturals and accidentals that appear in the actual notation from that point on. At the end of the day though it doesnt make much of a difference to anything unless you want to get big into theory and learn site reading. Just pointing out the difference!
# 14
LChance
LChance
09/07/2008 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanJust pointing out the difference!

Understood. I meant no offense. I am still very new to playing guitar and have a LOT to learn. I wanted to make sure I was clear on the fact that there is no difference in tone between say a F# or a Gb, or an A# or a Bb.

If #'s are the "standard" and is what is understood by most guitarists, I want to be able to speak the jargon. :cool:
# 15
equator
equator
09/07/2008 11:36 pm
Originally Posted by: rottenyellowThanks for the feedback!

I'm not to clear about natural harmonics ether. If you could give me an example that would be great. I will fix the misspellings, thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks!

For example if I’m playing in the key of E major; and I want to play a natural harmonic, if I play the harmonic on the low E string at fret 4...
I am still playing in key because the pitch produced by that harmonic is G#, which is part of the E major scale. (E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#)
E----------------------
B----------------------
G----------------------
D----------------------
A----------------------
E--------4[N.H]--------

However; if I play the harmonic on the D string at fret 5, I would be playing off key…because the pitch of that harmonic is D. And that note is not part of the key of E major.

I suggested to incorporate the Natural Harmonics into your interactive freatboard because I haven’t seen anything like that on the web. You have a good resource in your page, and it could be more complete if you add the natural harmonics feature.

There are other sites that show you the natural harmonics, but none that I know of… show you the relation of scales and natural harmonics in any given key.

equator's Music Page.

# 16
equator
equator
09/08/2008 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: LChanceIsn't F# and Gb the same? As is C# and Db?

No, they are not the same. They are enharmonic equivalents, they are spelled different for a reason, and its spelling is really important in the context of harmonic analysis.

I’m not trying to be a pain you know where…just stating a fact. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 17
rottenyellow
rottenyellow
09/09/2008 3:38 pm
PlayScale Functionality added!
# 18
Bryan Connolly
Bryan Connolly
11/27/2008 7:31 pm
This is great. I've been trying to teach my brother-in-law and hopefully this will make things a little easier for him.
# 19
wheelerbandini
wheelerbandini
01/19/2009 3:08 pm
After reading all the positive banter I couldn't resist! So guess what? The site is not working - it's timing out. I wanna see it! HELP
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.