View post (Interactive fretboard with sound)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/07/2008 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: LChanceSorry for hijacking this thread, but you sparked a question Light....

When I was taught the notes of the fretboard to memorize, I was told there was a Bb and Eb. (A, Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G & G#). Is this not how [u]most[/u] guitarists do it? I'm still learning here.

Depends on your instructor I guess.. I know that when I went to school, a long time ago, and they taught the notes it was always in flats. We were told that sharps are the reverse etc.. but always talked about the music in terms of flats. Whenever I have a conversation with another guitarist it is always in terms of sharps.. it's not that it has to be one way or the other, it just comes down to "talking the language that people understand".. if they understand in terms of flats, I will talk in flats... When I read sheet music, flats always throw me even though I know it's just the reverse..

The only time I use a flat and a sharp in the same scale is if the scale has two of the same letters in it. Like the F Major scale
F G A A# C D E (using just #'s)
F G A Bb C D E (using the b so there's not 2 A's)

Probably not the best example but you know what I mean...
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog