Distortion Pedal Decision.

equator
equator
02/21/2008 12:21 am
Hi folks.
I want to buy a distortion pedal; and I’ve been considering the following 3 pedals:
-Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
-Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
-Boss DS-1

I’ve seen the reviews and heard the sound clips, and now I can’t make my mind.
I want your input to help me decide which one to buy.
Thanks in advance. Equator.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
02/21/2008 12:40 am
i have the boss ds-1 its a good pedal. i can get almost black sabbath style crunch to heavy metal/ earily metallica style grind.

i dont own one but from what i heard about the tube screamer is it will augment and boost what ever you already have. but thats just what i heard and i could be wrong.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
spychocyco
spychocyco
02/21/2008 3:20 am
Of the choices, I'd go with the Turbo Distortion if I had the cash or the DS-1 if I was looking budget. But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I haven't really played around with any pedals recently, I've got an old DOD Death Metal pedal that's about 15 years old that I absolutely love and it's still going strong. I've heard the newer DigiTech version of it isn't as good, though.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/21/2008 10:25 am
To be honest I would get the tube screamer and one of the other two. The screamer for lead and the other for rhythm. All nice pedals!
# 4
Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
02/21/2008 5:32 pm
I agree with these people, if money isn't a problem the turbo distortion is a bit better, but you need to think of how you want to sound, the tube screamer sounds good for somethings as well. If money is no problem at all then get like 10 pedals and you can have all the distortion variety that you'll ever need. it really depends on your style and what you want to sound like (Deathmetal sound w/ folk song!?!?!)
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 10:07 pm
I have the Ibanez Tube Screamer- haven't used it in awhile, but it isn't super heavy on distortion- if I remember correctly. I got it to replace the Death Metal (digitech) distortion box which was TOO heavy for my taste.

You didn't say how much distortion you wanted- you just want some crunch, or you want to melt steel?
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6
equator
equator
02/21/2008 11:55 pm
Thanks guys for your input.
The reason I want to buy a distortion pedal is that up until now I’ve been using the inexpensive
DigiTech RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor, and the effects are way too digital.
I could buy an advanced Processor, with more convincing effects; but, I think it’ll be better to go for “the real thing” and build my own pedals chain.

So, what I’m after is…a versatile distortion pedal which gives me a variety of tones, from soft to heavy distortion.

I went to the store and tried some pedals among them the Boss MT-2. The Metal Zone sounds ok, but it only gives you heavy distorted tones. That’s when I realized that what I want is something like the DS-1 or the Tube Screamer.

One thing that I like about the Tube Screamer is that vintage sound of an overdriven tube amp. A very warm tone; but it is not as mean as the DS-1.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :confused:

equator's Music Page.

# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 12:26 am
Originally Posted by: equatorThanks guys for your input.
One thing that I like about the Tube Screamer is that vintage sound of an overdriven tube amp. A very warm tone; but it is not as mean as the DS-1.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :confused:

I like the Tube Screamer also, but I've just replaced it with the Behringer T0800 Vintage Tube Overdrive pedal- extremely cheap, got it new on ebay for $30. I saw it on youtube, so go there and do a search. You have any effects built into your amp that a pedal can push over to where you can get the sound you want? Anyway, the demo of the Behringer on YT pushed me to get it, and I love it. Hey, while you're at it, do a search for the other pedals- people are demoing stuff there all the time. The same Australian dude that did the Behringer was playing a Peavey amp, and that's what moved me to get one myself. Good luck in your search. I know how you feel.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 12:32 am
I don't think you'll get heavy distortion with the Behringer- well, I didn't push the gain that much- if I was plugged in right now, I'd let ya know, but I've got a vicious cold right now. If I sum up the energy, I'll drive it all the way up and let ya know.

# 9
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 3:25 am
OK, I plugged in my Strat in my new Peavey Envoy amp with the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Drive and Level knobs set to about 5 o'clock, tone...1 o'clock. If I set the level past 5, I was getting a lot of static- didn't have my noise-gate linked.

Keep in mind I'm just getting used to my Peavey. Got it day before yesterday, so I'm not fully familiar with all the settings. With the above pedal settings, I had to turn the post-gain setting on the amp to around 3 or 4, otherwise the humming/static would come back. Also, I got the Peavey cuz it emulates a tube amp pretty well.

With the pedal on, the tone was definitely over-driven, but not what I'd call distortion (the tube-like sound was sweet, and it seemed like I could sustain forever if I pointed the guitar at the amp just the right way.) Tone was dirtier, but not heavy metal distortion. Off the top of my head, I can only say that it sounded like...only thing that comes to mind is it kinda sounded like Leslie West's sound on the lead to Mississippi Queen. Or maybe Clapton on Crossroad. Maybe something in between. I really can't think of anything else to compare the tone to. Dirty, but not what I would call distortion. I remember when I had the Tube played through my Roland Cube, with the Cube's distortion on, the sound was a lot more distorted; guess that's the point of an overdrive pedal- overdriving the signal. Best I can do, hope this helps. Think you'll have to take into consideration your amp, and the pups on your guitar.

# 10
crazyguy
crazyguy
02/22/2008 11:31 am
Tube Screamer is a nice round mild overdrive, used a lot as a booster placed before another distortion source, but "mild" is the keyword here. I'd go for DS-1, because of its harder distortion and more trebles. It also acts well when reducing the level on the guitar (That's the way I use it, no on/off switching). The last time I used DS-2 was ages ago, but I don't remember liking it, mainly because DS-1 has much more usefull tone control.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 11
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 2:29 pm
Originally Posted by: crazyguyTube Screamer is a nice round mild overdrive, used a lot as a booster placed before another distortion source, but "mild" is the keyword here. I'd go for DS-1, because of its harder distortion and more trebles. It also acts well when reducing the level on the guitar (That's the way I use it, no on/off switching). The last time I used DS-2 was ages ago, but I don't remember liking it, mainly because DS-1 has much more usefull tone control.

Yeah, "round" is exactly how I would describe it. Depending on how you set the level, you can get a Santana-like kind of sound. I love his tone. But definitely not distorted.

Maybe I can put my Behringer tube overdrive before my Death Metal pedal to smooth out the distortion? Had another distortion pedal, but I think my ex tossed a lot of my stuff before we separated...but I digress....witch! :(

# 12
damaged
damaged
03/07/2008 3:01 pm
Mi Audio Crunch Box, it may not be on the list but is the best distortion pedal for its price by far. But from the list the DS-1 can be unusable the highs are very nasty indeed for the TS.

Links for the Mi Audio Crunch Box
Pro Guitar Shops demo on youtube
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEGACY-VALVE-JUNIOR-JR-JENSEN-C8R-BITMO-SPANKY-MODS_W0QQitemZ230228627681QQihZ013QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MI Audios site
http://www.miaudio.com/CB1.htm
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 13
greg1775
greg1775
03/28/2008 3:02 pm
why not to try this one
I own one-it's cheap easy to use
simple and have this vintage kind of sound
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/29/2008 7:35 am
I prefer cranking my tube amps to get power-tube distortion, but when I use a pedal, it's a Bad Monkey. The tone controls are good enough that I don't need to pair it with an EQ pedal.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
PValenti
PValenti
04/01/2008 8:39 pm
If you are looking for options and tone then none of the above will do. If I was going to choose from what Ibanez has to offer it wouldn't be the TS-9 anyway...it'd be the TS-808 Vintage Reissue hands down. But...it sounds like you want tone and options and so I'm gonna recommend instead the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde -

They run about $150 on Musicians Friend.com and they have a LOT of tone and sound good set just about anywhere. You'll get the chance to have slightly distorted clean-sounds clear up to heavy metal crunch with perfect clarity and tight response. When this company first came to be I was working in a music store and the guy who invented and built them was selling them personally and bought the Jekyll & Hyde and the Route 66 pedals in for us to try. The owner didn't bite, but I did! I bought one right there.
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard
# 16
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/01/2008 10:18 pm
I saw a demo of this pedal, I believe on youtube. The thing's a beast, and I wish I owned one. Was very impressed when I saw the demo. Debating if it's something I really need, but yes, it is one impressive pedal, imho.

# 17
-dragonfire-
-dragonfire-
04/06/2008 3:37 pm
Boss DS-1 gets my vote.
# 18
equator
equator
04/06/2008 6:16 pm
Thanks guys for your input.

I haven’t made a decision yet, I’m taking my time on this, because I want to buy the right pedal for me.

I have tried all the pedals except for the Jekyll & Hyde. Does anybody know what famous guitarist is using it?

equator's Music Page.

# 19
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/06/2008 8:12 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorThanks guys for your input.

I haven’t made a decision yet, I’m taking my time on this, because I want to buy the right pedal for me.

I have tried all the pedals except for the Jekyll & Hyde. Does anybody know what famous guitarist is using it?

I don't know any famous guitarists that use this pedal, but take a look at some demos on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PryWkGVvr6M&feature=related

I think the link I have is done by a guy that doesn't speak English, but there's other links to demos. The more I look at this pedal, the more I want one. Good luck in your search.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.