View post (Distortion Pedal Decision.)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 3:25 am
OK, I plugged in my Strat in my new Peavey Envoy amp with the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Drive and Level knobs set to about 5 o'clock, tone...1 o'clock. If I set the level past 5, I was getting a lot of static- didn't have my noise-gate linked.

Keep in mind I'm just getting used to my Peavey. Got it day before yesterday, so I'm not fully familiar with all the settings. With the above pedal settings, I had to turn the post-gain setting on the amp to around 3 or 4, otherwise the humming/static would come back. Also, I got the Peavey cuz it emulates a tube amp pretty well.

With the pedal on, the tone was definitely over-driven, but not what I'd call distortion (the tube-like sound was sweet, and it seemed like I could sustain forever if I pointed the guitar at the amp just the right way.) Tone was dirtier, but not heavy metal distortion. Off the top of my head, I can only say that it sounded like...only thing that comes to mind is it kinda sounded like Leslie West's sound on the lead to Mississippi Queen. Or maybe Clapton on Crossroad. Maybe something in between. I really can't think of anything else to compare the tone to. Dirty, but not what I would call distortion. I remember when I had the Tube played through my Roland Cube, with the Cube's distortion on, the sound was a lot more distorted; guess that's the point of an overdrive pedal- overdriving the signal. Best I can do, hope this helps. Think you'll have to take into consideration your amp, and the pups on your guitar.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)