Distortion Pedal Decision.

Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
04/09/2008 12:12 am
The TS-808 has a nice distortion and the modded versions even better but what type of distortion you crave is the real issue. The TS-808 I think sounds best through a bassier speaker but it won't get you death metal distortion. You might even consider a low watt tube amp for a warm natural sounding distortion without going def. Most pedals sound to distorted and synthetic, for lack of a better word, to me. I would say an EQ will be needed to correct most distortion pedals.

Just my 2 cents.
You know I'm not a big distortion fan so take that into account. :)
BC
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/09/2008 4:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickThe TS-808 has a nice distortion and the modded versions even better but what type of distortion you crave is the real issue. The TS-808 I think sounds best through a bassier speaker but it won't get you death metal distortion. You might even consider a low watt tube amp for a warm natural sounding distortion without going def. Most pedals sound to distorted and synthetic, for lack of a better word, to me. I would say an EQ will be needed to correct most distortion pedals.

Just my 2 cents.
You know I'm not a big distortion fan so take that into account. :)
BC

I'm told that one side of the Jekyll & Hyde Pedal sounds just like the TS-808.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
04/10/2008 1:21 am
If you haven't already checked them out, try some of Digitech's distortion pedals. I got a grunge distortion from Digitech 3 days ago, and it's really nice, all the distortion you would ever need if you want actual notes coming out of your guitar (lol). The only thing I noticed about this pedal is that it only does heavy distortion. I wish it was a little bit more versatile, because it would be nice to get blues tones out of it, but that's definitely not going to happen. Depending on the kind of music you listen to, Digitech probably has the pedal for you. They have a Hot Head, which is kind of like a vintage british distortion. And they have a Screamin' Blues pedal, which is for what the title implies. There is also a tube distortion pedal called the Bad Monkey. Each one is just $40! I am think about getting the Screamin' Blues pedal because it sounded nice, but I didn't want it first because I didn't think I would be playing much blues. Little did I know I was going to be learning 'Texas Flood'..... Happy hunting, and hope I helped. Oh yeah... I left out the Death Metal distortion, because that was a little too hardcore for my taste.
# 3
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
04/10/2008 1:34 am
I'm a boss guy, and I think the DS-2 gets some really nice tones, and can get a big variety of tones. Good pedal overall, and a lot less than the Tube Screamer...if im not mistaken.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 4
JJ777
JJ777
04/12/2008 9:52 pm
I'll tell you what. I've been playing for years and been through alot of pedals.
I never got the tone I wanted. I bought a line 6 pod and I fell in love. I'ts about $300 but you will never need another pedal again. You can make a piece of junk amp sound like a $3,000 mesa boogie. I like to peel the paint off the walls. Trust me on this, you wont be sorry.
# 5
PValenti
PValenti
04/13/2008 7:41 am
I can't get along with PODs. I've heard people use them with some success. But to me (when I'm playing through them) they always sound too digital and lifeless and over-processed to me. I'm currently using a Boss GT-8 and it does the job fine...but it's not my dream set up. (That is on the way! Muwahahaha!)

Ideally all you need is a great tube amp and a few stomp boxes to get the best possible guitar tone in my opinion...no matter what kind of music you play.
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/14/2008 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: PValentiI can't get along with PODs. I've heard people use them with some success. But to me (when I'm playing through them) they always sound too digital and lifeless and over-processed to me. I'm currently using a Boss GT-8 and it does the job fine...but it's not my dream set up. (That is on the way! Muwahahaha!)

Ideally all you need is a great tube amp and a few stomp boxes to get the best possible guitar tone in my opinion...no matter what kind of music you play.

Hi PV,

What you've said, is pretty much what I've read from online reviews on the various models of the POD.

In general, I'm with you- my Peavey amp emulates a tube pretty well. My problem is getting that "sweet spot" of what order to put my boxes in- when I change guitars, I often have to change the settings. But that's for a different thread.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 7
ren
ren
04/14/2008 6:38 am
I've used a Tubescreamer (808) and DS-1 for years, so I'd go for them. You might also want to check out the new Ibanez 'Jemini' pedal - it's a double that recreates the sounds of both in one box (!)...

I found the DS-2 to be too much for my taste...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.