i saw this and i though wow

Fret spider
Fret spider
01/22/2008 10:27 pm
i saw this and i though wow

http://guitarsolos.ja82.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=31

anyone know half the techniques he is usin. seems to be a fair bit of say flamenco and a lot of amazin two hand tappin. i really want to learn. dont suppose anyone wants to tab that out for me :)
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2008 10:33 pm
Excellent. Right handed too.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
01/24/2008 1:00 am
only one reply. a shame i was hopin to recieve pearls of wisdom :(
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2008 1:04 am
Don't drink and drive.
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/24/2008 2:18 am
That was amazing. Simply amazing. :)

As far as pearls of wisdom, "Tip your wait staff", "Try the veal" and "Stay off the moors...."
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
Fret spider
Fret spider
01/24/2008 10:04 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorDon't drink and drive.

a very good piece of advice but maybe not quite what i was looking for

:p
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/24/2008 9:22 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60 "Stay off the moors...."

Don't forget... "Beware the moon..." :D
# 7
starstuff
starstuff
01/27/2008 9:40 pm
Awesome video.

That's Carlos Vamos. Looks like his tapping hand (left in this case, since he's left-handed) is also doing some picking while fretting notes on the same hand. I'd love to know how he gets such a clear sound from tapping on an acoustic guitar.

Maybe send him an email...?

http://home.hetnet.nl/~ksund/index.html

Oh, and "Buy low, sell high".
"There are four qualities essential to a great jazzman. They are taste, courage, individuality, and irreverence. These are the qualities I want to retain in my music."
-- Stan Getz

www.improvisemusic.com
# 8
holy diver
holy diver
02/16/2008 11:34 pm
It seems that starstuff is right, tapping and picking... correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like there's some thumb slapping as well.
Whatever he's doing, I wish I could play like that.. Truly amazing!
If that's what you aspire to, good luck and hope to see you on guitarsolos.com!
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 1:03 am
Definitely a need for a top of the line acoustic guitar that's well set up with brand new strings.
There's no way my $300 Yamaha is capable of doing that.
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 2:41 am
Anyone notice the guitar is upside down? Really some amazing playing.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 11
Fret spider
Fret spider
02/18/2008 2:31 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoAnyone notice the guitar is upside down? Really some amazing playing.

um i think hes playing a left handed guitar...

as to what i aspire to this is one of the things i aspire to. anyone got any tips for achieving it. guess i gotta get good at finger style better at tapping and maybe get some slappin and poppin skills. thats quite a lot to do. the main thing i wonder about is when ive played arround with this stuff i find it quite hard to coordinate my right hand (picking) to play melodies that are intracate. due to the angle you have to hold your hand. also i find it quite hard to play different parts at the same time.

maybe its just because i have to go back to square one again and i dont really like being bad so i avoid it. gotta get a practice regime down
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2008 2:44 pm
Definately...tapping is like starting over again cause you have to totally train your right hand from scratch.
I hated it when I first started cause I couldn't get any accuracy at all. After a few months though it started clicking...Then after a few years playing with the right was the same as playing with the left.

One of these days I've gotta continue on with the All About Tapping tutorial I did way back about 5 years ago. I did about 50 pages of stuff on tapping mostly with 1 finger and some 4 finger stuff but only did a few lessons on chord tapping before I moved on to other stuff.

If you want to start with some simple exercises, try the simple chord tapping stuff like these:

http://guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=3192

There's no videos yet and these are really early lessons so the MP3's are low quality but I'll upgrade em in the next few months and continue on with the rest of the lessons.
# 13
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 2:50 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderum i think hes playing a left handed guitar...

What I meant was, take a look at the scratch guard, it's on top.....

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2008 2:57 pm
It just means he rewired his regular guitar left handed. It's the same thing as using a left handed guitar. If you look at the strings, the low E is still on the top.
# 15
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorIt just means he rewired his regular guitar left handed. It's the same thing as using a left handed guitar. If you look at the strings, the low E is still on the top.

I was kind of wondering how he wired his guitar- e.g, would it have been easier for him to play the way he does if he was wired righty while playing lefty. I googled him, and he mentioned in an article that it was difficult for him to find a lefty acoustic.

In any case, this guy is amazing. Was just looking at your tutorial, Kevin. I've tried tapping, but for some reason, I can't get the tapped tones to keep ringing, and it's not for lack of a good guitar/pickups/amp. I just don't know what's wrong.

When I took some lessons from Lenny Breau many years ago, he introduced me to his unique way of playing artificial harmonics he'd pick with his right hand 12 frets above what he was chording with his left, so I was pretty familiar with chord shapes with my right (picking hand).

Even with the exact same setup as another guitar player, I can't do anything but the most basic 1 finger tap, in my case meaning just hammering the string with my index finger. So I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong. I know it's me, not the responsiveness of the equipment.

I listened to your mp3- what was your setup? Pedals? I have a mess of pedals also. I'd appreciate any light you could shed. Not that I'm not working on a whole mess of other stuff. I've returned to playing after a big layoff, but I'm really interested in tapping! Nice to meet you, Kevin. Thanks in advance-I'll be looking at your other tutorials when I can.

# 16
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 3:49 pm
I can't help you on tapping, as you can see from my post to Kevin. I just looked at your profile, and see we have the same interest ('cept I'm almost 30 yrs older than you, lol.)

I've been playing almost 40 years, and THERE'S STILL SO MUCH TO LEARN :eek:

Anyway, my martial art is Wing Chun, been doing that almost as long as playing the guitar- what are you into? While a student at the Berklee College of Music, I used to joke (with a straight face) that we should start a boxing club. Didn't go over too well. All the musicians, especially the keyboard players were compulsive about protecting their hands. I was compulsive about not breaking my nails on my right hand. I mentioned Lenny Breau in my other post; if you don't know who he is, google him. I'm really not into jazz, but he made me look at the fretboard in a different way. Berklee really messed up my head by only looking at things in a very narrow way. I'm trying to reopen my mind as to how I view the fretboard, and how to really listen again.

You're lucky that there's places like this site- I wish I had that when I started out. Never would have gone to Berklee.

If there is any advice I can give you (unless you don't already know)- LOOK AT THE FRETBOARD AS A WHOLE, as opposed to a set of "boxes"; connect all the boxes, and see the board as one. I wish someone had told me that when I started out. Only after meeting Lenny, did my eyes start to open up, Berklee shut them again on me. And theory- I was really resistant to music theory, as I was self-taught. Lenny couldn't read music, but he knew his theory inside and out (but couldn't explain it well, lol.) I only had a handful of lessons with Lenny, but almost 30 years later, I'm studying stuff he wanted me to know.

Anyway, cheers!

# 17
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2008 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoI was kind of wondering how he wired his guitar- e.g, would it have been easier for him to play the way he does if he was wired righty while playing lefty. I googled him, and he mentioned in an article that it was difficult for him to find a lefty acoustic.

In any case, this guy is amazing. Was just looking at your tutorial, Kevin. I've tried tapping, but for some reason, I can't get the tapped tones to keep ringing, and it's not for lack of a good guitar/pickups/amp. I just don't know what's wrong.

When I took some lessons from Lenny Breau many years ago, he introduced me to his unique way of playing artificial harmonics he'd pick with his right hand 12 frets above what he was chording with his left, so I was pretty familiar with chord shapes with my right (picking hand).

Even with the exact same setup as another guitar player, I can't do anything but the most basic 1 finger tap, in my case meaning just hammering the string with my index finger. So I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong. I know it's me, not the responsiveness of the equipment.

I listened to your mp3- what was your setup? Pedals? I have a mess of pedals also. I'd appreciate any light you could shed. Not that I'm not working on a whole mess of other stuff. I've returned to playing after a big layoff, but I'm really interested in tapping! Nice to meet you, Kevin. Thanks in advance-I'll be looking at your other tutorials when I can.

It's partly to do with very low action and using a bunch of compression to even the notes out. I usually use a bit of reverb and chorus to sweeten the sound up a bit. Last but not least, I put a hair braid 'crunchy' thing around the 3rd fret to stop the open strings from running on.
I think I go over all that stuff in the first chapter of the tapping tutorial.

Other than that it's just tons and tons of practice. Ya have to train your right hand to be almost equal in technique to your left so it takes forever to get your skills up.
# 18
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 6:17 pm
Thanks for input. I'll have to read your tutorial & lessons. Thanks much!

# 19
Fret spider
Fret spider
02/19/2008 2:13 pm
hey again lots more posts this time. yah. soz it took me so long to reply i mannaged to lock my keys in my room and hd to wait till monday evening so i could get the spare set

as regards to tapping im not bad at it as long as i dont have to use more than one finger on my right hand. iuse my second so i dont have to put down the pick. but ive got a long way to go till its comfortable with all fingers.

silimtao i've just properly read ur name for the first time ever. its weird how putting the sylables in the wrong palce completely changes the sound of the word. ive been doin wing tsun for 2 and a half years now. i got a long way to go but i do love it. to be honest i think i train more than i play guitar at least at the moment. probably due to the fac i started stagnating on the guitar and . i dunno i need to get back to serios improvement. started guitar before wt (wing tsun) so i got some good practice then.

i enjoy them both, they are my main hobbies. im glad theres another person on the boards who is into it. its cool to chat, especially because wing chun is slightly different from wing tsun. different lineage. so theres lots to chat about and compare. how long you been trainin for.

anyways thanx for the advice ets. to be honest i think the thing that would be best to do would be to just buckle down and practice more. but finding the time is hard.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.