View post (i saw this and i though wow)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 3:49 pm
I can't help you on tapping, as you can see from my post to Kevin. I just looked at your profile, and see we have the same interest ('cept I'm almost 30 yrs older than you, lol.)

I've been playing almost 40 years, and THERE'S STILL SO MUCH TO LEARN :eek:

Anyway, my martial art is Wing Chun, been doing that almost as long as playing the guitar- what are you into? While a student at the Berklee College of Music, I used to joke (with a straight face) that we should start a boxing club. Didn't go over too well. All the musicians, especially the keyboard players were compulsive about protecting their hands. I was compulsive about not breaking my nails on my right hand. I mentioned Lenny Breau in my other post; if you don't know who he is, google him. I'm really not into jazz, but he made me look at the fretboard in a different way. Berklee really messed up my head by only looking at things in a very narrow way. I'm trying to reopen my mind as to how I view the fretboard, and how to really listen again.

You're lucky that there's places like this site- I wish I had that when I started out. Never would have gone to Berklee.

If there is any advice I can give you (unless you don't already know)- LOOK AT THE FRETBOARD AS A WHOLE, as opposed to a set of "boxes"; connect all the boxes, and see the board as one. I wish someone had told me that when I started out. Only after meeting Lenny, did my eyes start to open up, Berklee shut them again on me. And theory- I was really resistant to music theory, as I was self-taught. Lenny couldn't read music, but he knew his theory inside and out (but couldn't explain it well, lol.) I only had a handful of lessons with Lenny, but almost 30 years later, I'm studying stuff he wanted me to know.

Anyway, cheers!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)